Dt466 water pump bearing loose

acem

I was running my 4366 when I started hearing an odd scrapey sound. I stopped and it kept on. So I revved the engine and it kinda followed engine speed but quit at idle. I revved it up enough to make the sound and got off to look.

It was the fan hitting the shroud.

I shut it off and felt of the wobble in the fan (no motor mounts to go bad here) and it was loose as a goose but no leak.  I've had them get all loosy before and not leak.

I got it to a good spot to change the pump. I've got a good used one for now.

How can these 400 series pumps get so loose but not leak water???

Thx-Ace 

It took me two hours to get the fan, spacer, pulley and pump seperated.

What's the best way to keep them  from siezing together?

Grease?

Antisieze?

It was horrible.

Thx-Ace 

IMG_0212.jpg

Those seals are usually a carbon or ceramic face seal preloaded by a spring. They will tolerate a fair amount of movement before they leak.   On my 806 the balls had come out of the front bearing and it was just starting to drip.   
antiseize should help for future removal and save grazed knuckles!

A week ago I got a call from one of the guys driving a spreader (DT 466) there was water leaking from the engine. I opened the hood I didn’t see anything obvious so grabbed the hose and squeezed it water would squirt out along the water pump mount . I checked the bolts, all were loose so I tightened all the mount bolts. Told the guy that was first time I had pump bolts come loose. Topped off with water, started up, Holy sh3t  It was vibrating so bad I thought it had a broken crank. Now I know why the bolts are loose. So I tell him to turn it off, I grab the crank it’s tight. Go to right side look at fan it’s missing 1 blade. I ask the guy how long was it vibrating that bad?  “ I don’t know”. 😡 drive back to the shop thinking now where am going to find a 30 year old steel fan? Go up stairs look around couldn’t believe what I found with the same part number stamped in it. I was living large. Amazed the blade didn’t take out the radiator. Drove around field never did find the blade.