Radio interference?

dads706

My shop radio and my cordless tool chargers do not play nice together. They are both on the same circuit. The building is covered with metal. FM isn't to bad but my "classic country/farm news" AM station has issues. Help me please because the only thing on the country FM station is some country rap sheept that is an insult to the great country singers to even call that crap country music.

This isn't meant to be a music rant, I just want to be able to listen to my radio.

37 minutes ago, dads706 said:

My shop radio and my cordless tool chargers do not play nice together. They are both on the same circuit. The building is covered with metal. FM isn't to bad but my "classic country/farm news" AM station has issues. Help me please because the only thing on the country FM station is some country rap sheept that is an insult to the great country singers to even call that crap country music.

This isn't meant to be a music rant, I just want to be able to listen to my radio.

Can you get them off the same circuit? 
That’s where I would start. 
Then find yourself a good electronic store for an am radio frequency filter. 
@vtfireman85 Seth might be of some help 

Am is tough thats why it is little used except govt and semi "low profit"

different circuit and ....maybe suppressor from a 50-60s car  radio shack could have helped

search it for a car and then track it to 2022....some little diode now....

Im not very good on radio, i did always have issues with the radio in the old house, that had high R sheathing. Ended up using shielded cable-RG6, and an outside antenna.

First, if you unplug the battery charger all the noise stops?  

if so I would first try separating the two like IHfan4life mentioned. Moving it off the circuit, or far enough away so it doesn’t interfere may do the job

second, try looking at ferrite beads or chokes.  They can really help eliminate the radio picking up static.  

Are the chargers physically close to the radio?  You could try a faraday cage around the chargers to see if that helps blocks the rf interference.  A faraday cage is just grounded metal mesh or cage.  Chicken wire is too course.  Needs to be finer holes.

if it is putting rf into the electrical circuit you need some kind of buffer.  Do you have an UPI (uninterrupted  power supply) that you could plug one into to try?

or run the radio off battery power.

2 hours ago, AKwelder said:

second, try looking at ferrite beads or chokes.  They can really help eliminate the radio picking up static.  

? ...got a box some where ....? they came with tvs vcr etc

From what I've met I'd have suggested the external aerial, the different power supply and the Faraday cage - the radio room at the local Royal Flying Doctor radio repair room was done in brass mosquito type gauze and all solder jointed.

And one you're not likely to have.  A lot of the rural electricity supply in Oz is done with Single Wire Earth Return (SWER) lines.  Single wire in at 19,000 volts transformed to 240 volts and return by earth.  The earth is 4 large buried copper plates.  It has a limit (IIRC) of around 5 hp for motors and the big ones are wired 480 volts (split phase I think is the term).  Now we are on a sandhill which is not the best earthing conditions. 

It took a while to learn that our radio interference was time to put the lawn sprays on the earth area

I am curious about this as well. 

I like to listen to the Brewers baseball games on the radio. The only station I can tune into is a low output FM frequency that I am on the edge of. I also have a charging station on the opposite side of my shop for my cordless tool batteries. The brand of the chargers and batteries just so happens to be the same name as the home city of the Brewers. When I have a battery on the charger there is so much interference that nothing but static comes in. If I pull the battery off the charger the station returns to normal and I can hear Bob Uecker again. 

Radio and chargers are on two separate breakers and on opposite sides of the shop.

Mostly I've just learned to charge the batteries when the Brewers are not playing as the other stations I listen to are not affected.

Battery chargers don't effect my shop radio be when you fire up the AC high frequency radio goes blank.

1 hour ago, Jesse in WI said:

Radio and chargers are on two separate breakers and on opposite sides of the shop.

VT may answer, as mentioned has some thing to do with common neutral or poor grounds

I will have to look for that box of vcr/cable weights  ...but dont have house AM ,nor use radio since our regional AM in the tractor ALL NEWS weather.

went off the air due to woooooki buyers,

Put the HF antenna outside the shop.

Here is a picture of an antenna that works well. It is a 200KHZ to 60 MHZ RDF BUT just a wire pointed to the station should be fine. 

IMG_3764.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

The best solution I have come up with is an outside antenna. I have an old car radio and speakers with a fender mount antenna on the roof. Before that I could only get one close station to come in because of the steel siding. I also had the issue with the battery chargers. The chargers are not a problem anymore but I don't know if it is because of the outside antenna or the fact that the radio is powered by a transformer power supply. Either one or both are likely to help.