2022 crop pics

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

That’s never fun. Hopefully it came out east at least. So far no ones on the stuck list here yet. Dad came close this morning I think with the John Deere and the 36’ ih cultivator. Warned him that corner was a swamp but he had to try anyways lol. Chewed his way out again. Needless to say I seeded around that spot lol.  Wheat at home is done at least. Carts loaded up and ready to move in the morning if it doesn’t rain to much. Was starting to rain when I finished up and was coming down pretty good when I got in the house. 

Was able to unhook and chew his way out so no other tractor needed. But that was in the first 100 yards of the field lol. Forecast does not look good for us. It sure changed from yesterday lol

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

Look out everyone, I'm about to pull the big guns out and pass you all up 😂😂. Been so wet this year, been thinking I should be planting rice 😂😂

IMG_20220523_161741871_HDR.jpg

Alot of acres used to get put in here with those drills. Dad used to pull a 12 foot 100 press drill then upgraded to 32 feet of 620 press drills. Then to an air seeder. An uncle here had a 510 and pulled it with a 560. Big field by the house used to take him 2.5-3 days to sow. He couldn't believe when we would pull in and do it in a day. And we got a tiny air seeder compared to most these days. He was probably putting in about 6-700 a year with that outfit for many years.

• Like 1

First seeding I did was with a 14’ 620 press drill. Was a nice little drill for flax. That used to be my job in the spring when I was a kid. Not sure there’s anything that can compare to the job it did at least with flax.  We’d put down fertilizer ahead and fill the seed box with flax quite often with a bucket as we didn’t have a drill fill at that time.  Near the end we got smart and used the skid steer with a tote bag. 

Had a good productive day today for a change. Things lined up and I was able to get almost 200 acres seeded. For some that’s a easy days work but for us it’s a pretty steady long day.  Drill is ready to move home in a few hours when the sun comes up. Just got home now and it’s not worth the risk moving it on some of our roads at night.  I’ve got 2 low hanging power lines I have to watch for too. Can’t fit under them after they built the road up. 

4C8E1C2C-E077-4F9B-B7C6-0B5408501065.jpeg

3BA6DE41-7D99-4FCA-8F95-0911C0F22F62.jpeg

5DE9F5BB-27AC-42C8-97BB-6CCCBF54DC93.jpeg

916E5A1D-2038-4107-8846-AC34FDF21150.jpeg

DA4F208D-62E0-4F58-9096-26606F37CBA6.jpeg

97E93248-3621-43DA-B338-0CAA6600AA91.jpeg

1C002DE1-5AA0-4AB4-8EC3-574C737A4894.jpeg

420F5B75-C07C-4A7D-8BD8-13100BD5460D.jpeg

• Like 3

Got seeding wheat on Monday. Dried up pretty good considering how much rain we've had. 100 acres is a good day for me. Sometimes more, sometimes less. 

Seeding SE16.jpg

• Like 6

well there she be the 2022 crop is in the ground with the exception of about a 15-20 acre slough bottom that were waiting on to dry up should only be afew days away cant remember the last time we farmed it,  another slough that i finished seeding on was seeded 13 yrs ago and it rained 2 inches 3 days later and completely flooded and be flooded since 

• Like 3

Down to the last 320 acres of canola now. Been a busy week lol.  Picked up the seed today but I’m going to spray some of the ground I seeded earlier this week. I wanted to do it before but decided it was late enough just get the seed in the ground and deal with it after.  Wheat and barley stubble needs to be harrowed yet anyways and there’s a couple v ditches that need to be filled in too. Dad was working on that this afternoon when he planted the John Deere. Drove into one of the holes I had dug last fall to bury a small brush pile of burnt. Was water there not long ago. Crusted on top but very soft underneath yet.  If it doesn’t rain and things go good I might be done by Sunday or Monday. See how the weekend goes I guess. 

BCF68F02-0470-4192-B772-9694830915DE.jpeg

FA787771-ECCE-41A2-B0E5-2CC4D3EC6B19.jpeg

5805DF0D-6321-4B85-B9DF-D0E91E551C11.jpeg

80B3E238-5ED4-4ECD-943E-C449255150E2.jpeg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wheatking said:

well there she be the 2022 crop is in the ground with the exception of about a 15-20 acre slough bottom that were waiting on to dry up should only be afew days away cant remember the last time we farmed it,  another slough that i finished seeding on was seeded 13 yrs ago and it rained 2 inches 3 days later and completely flooded and be flooded since 

Have you guys had much for rain to get things going? Glad to hear you’re wrapped up now just hope Mother Nature cooperates. 

6 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Have you guys had much for rain to get things going? Glad to hear you’re wrapped up now just hope Mother Nature cooperates. 

no nothing exciting we had a 3 tenth shot one day about a week ago and supposedly some coming this weekend aswell, peas and durum are up and looking great the canola is gonna need some help getting going and the wheat and barley will be awhile yet, yes hopefully mother nature helps a guy out having to buy more expensive inputs this year defiantly keeps a guy on his toes watching the crop budget 

• Like 1

Been keeping busy up till tonight. Got rained out again. Worse south of us. We seemed to be on the joggers edge thankfully. Early radar showed a bad storm coming overtop us around 8:00 but it fizzled out thankfully. Down towards wakaw got hit with hail though. Friend sent me this pic from Facebook. 

Got mine all sprayed yesterday. Dad was busy so I had to haul my own water in the morning. Was going to wait a couple days but with the forecast for the weekend what it was I figured I better get on it in case I couldn’t get back to it till after the crop started coming up.  Started in the canola this afternoon at about 1:30. Managed to get 95 acres in so it wasn’t a wasted day at least. Had a couple tires to fix this morning on the harrows and had to shuffle stuff around to move onto the canola always takes time to get set up it seems.  Have a day and a half or so left of seeding so hopefully we’ll be done sooner then later. 

B696ABE0-9F56-4DE7-8B02-7A567E181F63.jpeg

2A0DD7D2-A91D-4177-AE89-795FA358E468.jpeg

C04E8BA1-A559-4E0B-BF25-AAC79A8299C6.jpeg

3B147E20-53F5-4D11-B9FB-FB754260431C.jpeg

AD39FA51-F030-46AC-B41E-A0EC49A9E140.jpeg

• Like 2

Took a shot of one corn field from the road yesterday. It's a little behind this year from the cold spring. Pretty warm this weekend, should help and get the beans out of the ground.

IMG_1423.JPG

• Like 1

Very cold and dry spring here in the uk only 56f today crop desperately need rain ,Weather forecasts an unsettled week with showers but no substantial rain spring crops really need a good soak .Reading this morning that combines are harvesting winter barley in mid western France this is a month early! 

Happy farming 

• Sad 1

That hail picture is showing up other places too. Nothing like it here as I was seeding at the time. Still a bit wet after almost 4 tenths Friday night but with the forecast of more rain coming I went ahead and finished the field I had started the day before. Now this morning its a slow and steady rain so nothing doing in the field here. I've got another field of wheat and another of canola still to do. It will likely be June seeding by the time I can get back in the field but thats the kind of late spring it has been here. Its only a week ago tomorrow that I started. Still quite a few unseeded fields around the area. 

IMG_3864[1].JPG

• Like 3

Not much for progress today. Did manage to get about 25 acres in but that was it. Called for a nh3 fill and they were amazed that we were even running. No one was around so they called in a driver to make a special trip. 

16 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Took a shot of one corn field from the road yesterday. It's a little behind this year from the cold spring. Pretty warm this weekend, should help and get the beans out of the ground.

IMG_1423.JPG

One of my favorite times of the year when the crops is first coming up. Everything greens up and is up in nice even rows(at least it’s supposed to be lol) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Loadstar said:

That hail picture is showing up other places too. Nothing like it here as I was seeding at the time. Still a bit wet after almost 4 tenths Friday night but with the forecast of more rain coming I went ahead and finished the field I had started the day before. Now this morning its a slow and steady rain so nothing doing in the field here. I've got another field of wheat and another of canola still to do. It will likely be June seeding by the time I can get back in the field but thats the kind of late spring it has been here. Its only a week ago tomorrow that I started. Still quite a few unseeded fields around the area. 

IMG_3864[1].JPG

well if you want we can trade i'll take the rain and you take the sun and wind!!  also thats probably the cleanest magnum dash ive ever seen mine usually has a half inch of dust on it 

• Like 1

Beans are just breaking through, could note the difference from when I looked at them early in the morning until later afternoon. Kind of interesting how that crack-line forms as they emerge.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wheatking said:

well if you want we can trade i'll take the rain and you take the sun and wind!!  also thats probably the cleanest magnum dash ive ever seen mine usually has a half inch of dust on it 

X2. I'll pay shipping too. Last year you couldn't find moisture here except in a lake and this year it looks like lakes on the field 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, wheatking said:

Thanks, although I consider that mine has quite a layer of dust on it. When the soil is so damp it picks up on boots and comes into the cab. Dries up and gets blown around by the wind when you  open the doors sometimes. I know too dry is just as big a problem as too wet. Not often we get it just right. 

• Like 2

Dried up enough to get going this afternoon again for a while. Got another 90 acres in after 4:00 this afternoon so it wasn’t a total waste. Sprayed out the little bit of chemical I had left on dads this morning just to get the sprayer empty and use up the last little bit of chemical I had. Glyphosate is sure hard to find in jugs this spring.  I got the last that the coop had. Hasn’t been any more come in yet either I don’t think. Dads canola should’ve been sprayed too. Little bit of hempnettle and wild oats coming. Thinking I might have to do a shot with lontrel and maybe a wild oat tank mix if I can do that then do a final pass with Liberty. Sounds like it’s limited supply too so thinking we might have to look at other options. 

Was sure windy all day today. Was waves on the water most of the day.  Just about got stuck once today. Doesn’t look like much in the pic after I seeded through it again but it was digging awfully hard to get through. Had to wiggle my way through it.  Managed to get enough traction on the sides of the ditch to keep moving. 

3915C376-DD51-447F-8637-D905069838BF.jpeg

86C479ED-4A57-4EED-BE1D-67C1BC96697E.jpeg

6CCE59A0-D898-4B67-B5A7-A369453D6238.jpeg

C2C26294-2F86-47B5-A55F-B94322D5D81F.jpeg

6379A281-1E7A-418A-B12C-968E903F931E.jpeg

0C7153C6-F397-4FE0-AE98-E8F139E778E6.jpeg

• Like 2

Well with that seeding 2022 is done. Now Mother Nature just has to do her part. Went pretty good for the most part. Only real breakdown was that flat tires the first night out. Thankfully it was pretty smooth sailing from there on out. Hopefully the rest of the year is that easy. 

E3247E5D-A161-4027-A27C-662885129DDE.jpeg

BDC0CEEA-77EC-4D85-A1A1-AE7688CF9CC1.jpeg

3A45945D-5E7B-4402-AF77-1A8E07D35512.jpeg

DDF99FAE-1C85-4CBD-AD6C-C21719ACCBB2.jpeg

3D3AC762-2B84-481D-B801-9D3657EACC98.jpeg

• Like 2

Fields are starting to green up a little. No more rain yet. Still hoping for a half inch or so now to freshen things up and make the crops take off.  Wheat and barley is still a little patchy but it’s coming. Should be Enough to make a crop anyways. It’s slow to come up this year for some reason. I might have seeded it a little bit deeper but not a crazy amount. Seeded .25-.3mph faster as well.  Didn’t seem to be throwing dirt to badly behind the openers though.  Just the conditions I guess. Still chilly at night, just came in from a 30 mile dirt bike ride and I can definitely feel the chill. Went out crop checking a bit and then headed up to the river to have a look.  Water level is down quite a bit.  Would be hard pressed to get down it in a boat now I think. Jet boat maybe or if you really knew the river well maybe. 

Hope everyone else has either finished up or is making good progress. 

1819B83C-F461-4929-93E8-F2BC687DBC14.jpeg

BD6DE897-7222-4AA4-B84D-41E545A9DB45.jpeg

3057A8BE-00FF-4F80-AFDA-D121CDCF2C8A.jpeg

660D3EFD-9A76-4BA1-93D8-893DA25F6181.jpeg

15A7CE97-68C6-40DB-A483-A5788537D298.jpeg

3D77FFDC-9EE2-4914-AAE5-E481F7E4484A.jpeg

• Like 3

Finished on the weekend and considering its two weeks ago today I started, not too bad. Lost a few days to rain in there. Sure has been cool but the early wheat is up good here. Even seeing the odd canola plant. 

Harrow pack June 6.JPG

• Like 3

They are saying the rivers are low due to cool temps the ice pack hasn't started melting yet, they were issuing warnings for low water levels and boating which is weird cause I thought the greenies were looking to outlaw power boating throughout the city

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Finished on the weekend and considering its two weeks ago today I started, not too bad. Lost a few days to rain in there. Sure has been cool but the early wheat is up good here. Even seeing the odd canola plant. 

Harrow pack June 6.JPG

Good to hear Ralph glad you got things wrapped up for another year. Hopefully things continue to keep coming along nicely.