2022 crop pics

12 hours ago, hardtail said:

PFL looks like you had a great day 😊

Pass on a HB to your dad from me 🎂

Wasn’t a big mile day by any means but a nice relaxing one none the less. My sister was missing from the action but she had bought tickets to a Styx concert in Saskatoon so couldn’t make it. 

On 10/15/2022 at 6:18 PM, Loadstar said:

Nice scenery but I'd have frozen up in these 40 degree temps and wind. Sun finally came out in the afternoon but still cold. Yesterday was the first decent day without much wind since Monday. I heard there was some swath damage to what few fields of canola remained. Still got a few bales to haul. Supposed to warm up by Tuesday. 

We just took it slow. As long as you were standing in the sun it actually felt pretty warm.  Spent probably a hour or more standing around the fire visiting too. 

Stood on the riverbank watching the otters playing just below us. Was 3 of them chasing each other around on the one log. Just after that we spied a huge jack fish moving in the water. Water is so clear in that little inlet you can see to the bottom fairly easy. It came up to the surface and swam for a bit then dived back down. Thought it was a otter at first it was so big. 

• Like 1

October 16 , 80 degrees.  No rain since late June. Watering red spuds to reduce skinning. Common practice for early September digging. Never this late for storage harvest.  Lot of guys sitting it out till the rain comes in which is later this week. Once it starts you never know when it will quit. Last year at this time I had fields to wet to harvest, bird food doesn’t pay.

Had  the boss lady helping today.👍

C40BEA37-54E3-4270-8825-0BBCD116FC0A.jpeg

16F5CA04-255B-47CD-A187-1F1440F74E84.jpeg

• Like 9

On 10/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, midnightman said:

Guys are finishing up around here. It’s amazing how much difference there is in the few miles further North to your farm. Hopefully it warms back up next week like the forecast says and everyone can get back at it.

There's a few done around here, lots getting close, but still lots to go. I noticed today off the highway there is still lots to go, more so north of the valley. And yep, it's a different world north of the 45 lol. I always say we're like the arctic of southern mb 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Loadstar said:

My nephew got some of his drone video uploaded to youtube showing various views of the 7721 pull type and magnum through harvest. 

Nice little compilation of harvest footage. Looks good.  Always fun watching from above. Gives a good perspective of the fields vs a photo from the ground. 

Here are pictures of this years harvest. Last year I had the neighbors combine as the crop was short and the had good equipment. This year we drug the old 8820 out and did our little bit of harvest. 189 acres of soybeans. I contracted 4000 bushels early on for 14.35 at local coop so we had about 2000 bushels more we sold at 13 and above. Crop was above avg for our area and even a few guys reporting almost 50 bpa soybeans on select fields. Our JD is a wheat combine and absolutely will not combine green stem soybeans. The straw will fall through walkers and plug auger bed horribly. So we haven’t used it on soybeans for a few years. This year we fixed combine and started but beans dried down fast. They were all 8.5 to 9% moisture. My brother hauled the last couple loads in and I have one to deliver tomorrow. He thought we should have around 6050 bushels so they should run about 32 bpa delivered. Sad thing if I could have rehydrated them and the extra header loss harvesting at that dryness 35 to 38 bpa delivered to town would have been achieved. At least the truck is an IH.

6830780D-6F31-484F-B625-88C3D580A319.jpeg

FAF53E48-FDF6-4CE7-B10C-F4CFD2FF2324.jpeg

43EAC4C8-6867-4FB6-B4DA-4EEC7CE88B71.jpeg

A27D92A0-7120-475A-9469-1BB1F498509A.jpeg

4797A1AC-A2B6-4FB3-8C0F-5908D3AEBC96.jpeg

04134652-A7AC-42F6-B211-5BC9FF179DBD.jpeg

• Like 8

On 10/16/2022 at 9:54 PM, 806 man said:

October 16 , 80 degrees.  No rain since late June. Watering red spuds to reduce skinning. Common practice for early September digging. Never this late for storage harvest.  Lot of guys sitting it out till the rain comes in which is later this week. Once it starts you never know when it will quit. Last year at this time I had fields to wet to harvest, bird food doesn’t pay.

Had  the boss lady helping today.👍

C40BEA37-54E3-4270-8825-0BBCD116FC0A.jpeg

16F5CA04-255B-47CD-A187-1F1440F74E84.jpeg

Can you post more pictures of the digger? I got my heavy truck education working for irrigated potato guys. I used to help them a bit fix major screw ups to the loading boom and suck. They all ran Lockwood 4500 diggers I think. He maybe had a 4 row also. They would lay the left and right rows on top of middle rows with a tandem windrow outfit. Then dig them all.

Started cleaning up my pile of wheat today. Hopefully the rains stay away and I can get it hauled in before the white stuff comes.  They were calling for snow but they’ve taken that out of the forecast again I think. Not quite ready for that. Still have lots of work to get done. Have 4-5 days of dirt work to do yet with the cat and a little bit of v ditching to do again.  Sure wish I had a scraper to move some dirt with this fall. Couple low spots I’d like to haul some dirt to. Opposite corners of the field where I have surplus dirt to move so no way to do it with the cat. 

Found a newer sled that’s awful tempting to go look at. It’s at a dealer in pa though so I have to pay both taxes on it. Sure counts up with the price these newer sleds are bringing.  See if it’s still around when I get rained out or get my grain hauled in I guess. 

A809FC45-0463-40CF-BDD0-5E11F147490D.jpeg

6 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Started cleaning up my pile of wheat today. Hopefully the rains stay away and I can get it hauled in before the white stuff comes.  They were calling for snow but they’ve taken that out of the forecast again I think. Not quite ready for that. Still have lots of work to get done. Have 4-5 days of dirt work to do yet with the cat and a little bit of v ditching to do again.  Sure wish I had a scraper to move some dirt with this fall. Couple low spots I’d like to haul some dirt to. Opposite corners of the field where I have surplus dirt to move so no way to do it with the cat. 

Found a newer sled that’s awful tempting to go look at. It’s at a dealer in pa though so I have to pay both taxes on it. Sure counts up with the price these newer sleds are bringing.  See if it’s still around when I get rained out or get my grain hauled in I guess. 

A809FC45-0463-40CF-BDD0-5E11F147490D.jpeg

So we charge you 6% sales tax and then your government taxes it also?  Too bad I don't think it would qualify for farming exemption for your farm business.  No tax then on our end.

56 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

If you’re buying out of state, I don’t believe you pay the local tax, just yours, when you get home.  I’ll sell you a cat 

The problem here in Saskatchewan is when you go to register it for trail riding you have to prove you paid the pst. Buying privately lots of people fudge the numbers so they don’t pay as much but ultimately end up paying some. First 5,000$ cdn is exempt. Anything over 5,000 you pay tax on the full amount. Used to be the first 3500 was exempt regardless of what you paid but they changed it a few years back.  Looking for another 4 stroke Yamaha  sidewinder or cat. Don’t think cat offered the track and suspension that I’m looking for though. 146” with either 2.25” or 1.6” lug. 

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

So we charge you 6% sales tax and then your government taxes it also?  Too bad I don't think it would qualify for farming exemption for your farm business.  No tax then on our end.

Yup that’s correct. A person can maybe claim a portion of it for business expense but if you’re ever audited you’d have to prove how it’s farm related I suppose.  6% provincial tax and 5% federal tax. Used to be on a 10,000$ sled it didn’t feel quite as bad but now with prices pushing 20,000 or more it sure adds up in a hurry.  This one is priced at 17,900 and it’s used. 1600 miles on it. Slightly more then I’d like but right in the ballpark of what I have been buying. Brand new equivalent is about 24,500 plus tax. Had it worked out last spring with a couple accessories it came out to $28,000. Way to much for something you use 2-3 months a year. Problem is to many people finance them and just look at the payment. I’m the opposite end. If I can’t pay for it I make do without it at least toy wise. 

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 9:18 PM, stronger800 said:

I have a ‘22 Tcat 137 and a 22 800 137 RR.  I do have a ‘18 141 HC 800 and almost enough parts to put a 141 skid into the Tcat if need be.  We don’t really get much snow down here. 

I have the 141 skid on my viper. It does ok but I think the newer 146 transfers better. Might be just the better shocks that come with it though too.  Qs3 clicker shocks are better then. The fox floats from what I’ve heard. 

Went and looked at that sidewinder today. My gut was right it’s been a ditch banger. Nasty loud can on it and had been rode pretty hard. Wasn’t in horrible shape but you could tell it hadn’t been well cared for either. 

53 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I get my shocks all revalved for more transfer, and less rebound.
I’m ski dangling helmet smiling idiot.  This is my ‘18 with 4500 miles on it. Oldest sled I’ve had in a long time. She’s pretty clean still. 60DA2CE7-30AC-4C56-BD05-83C3E629375F.thumb.jpeg.e3ace3d6d6a844cfa43985b3cdc7ea0a.jpeg60DA2CE7-30AC-4C56-BD05-83C3E629375F.thumb.jpeg.e3ace3d6d6a844cfa43985b3cdc7ea0a.jpeg13604BD7-9436-4047-B074-2316C2946B49.thumb.jpeg.cb9497c5db5db41cc0ae928aba51a9f9.jpeg

4817C58E-C047-4CCB-B350-D60262750490.jpeg

Lol. Nice clean looking sled. My sister got a new zr 600  limited last spring. Took forever to get here but she loves it.  My newest sled is my 2015 viper xtx yamacat.  It’s got right around 10,000 kms (6,000 miles) on it now.  I kept my 09 nytro xtx as well. It’s my backup and around home sled. Both have treated me very well and have never left me anywhere. Correction I guess the nytro left me at the neighbors one time. Had a wire harness rub through and would momentarily short out on the frame.  Took a bit to find that one. Could’ve put a fuse in and drove it home but did t want to risk it stopping in the middle of the field. Had done a 100 mile trip the day before and it shorted out 2 miles into the trip. Left me a bit nervous the rest of that ride as we were in the middle of no where. Was with my brother thankfully. 

91A13C15-86BB-4E0D-83FC-46E41BCFC0C1.jpeg

97DC0E13-28F8-4C04-BD1D-797C63A900C0.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a buddy with those same sleds. He put a turbo on the viper and a supercharger on the Nytro. Heads reworked. Etc etc. they run pretty stout. Straight pipe exhaust in the Nytro. Straight. -0- baffle action on either when in race trim.  I’ve had straight pipes turbos, but they exited Down. That Nytro with its rear exits…..louder than you’d think 

• Like 1

ya its getting to be that time of year to think about the sleds, i fired mine up the other day to let it run for a moment, it started so battery is still good, shouldn't need much to go this year, still hoping to find a Renegade Backcountry, been looking on kijiji not a whole lot to pick from and what does seem to come up is still selling quick 

on the farming front things are calming down big now moved some barley out this week and will finish putting things away tomorrow i think 

• Like 1

B30DE76F-991D-46D7-999E-739EB631FAD4.jpeg

Harvested the corn Friday.  I tried to get our 3300 going but just couldn't (more on that later).  So we had poor weather coming this weekend rain and snow so I didn't want to wait any longer.  So I just used one of our S780s with a 45ft draper.  Didn't do too bad of job I think considering its set up for small grains.  Had to put the rethresher in corn mode, chopper knives retracted,  and some other corn mode adjustment on the back end of the machine I think had something to do with the discharge beater.  

Still had the small wire concave and the manual called for the front drum to be raised up and of course I assumed the feederhouse speed would have had to been adjusted.  Didn't do any of that since this was shitty corn and only 12 acres plus our combines have fixed speed feederhouses.  Didn't matter anyway.  Started with the book settings and left the concave spacing and rotor were they were at.  However to start with, sample was really dirty full of small pieces of stalk.  The stalks were the size of your thumb finger so pretty small compared to normal corn.  I ended closing down the sieve to almost were we run it in wheat.  Cleaned it up much better.   Never did get any broken cobs. Moisture was in the mid 20s if it was reading correctly.  The corn was all over the place.  Some was dead ripe and others were still somewhat green and some stalks and little or no cobs on them.  Combination of grasshoppers and poor seeding spacing/population trying to use a non no till planter in no till without the correct plates.  Only issue I had was I lost a lot of cobs off the header probably 20%.  Guess the cows will have to finish the harvest.  

• Like 2