2022 crop pics

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

So far knock on wood things have been goi g fairly smoothly on the equipment side. We all know when you run older stuff that can change any day though. Hopefully both you and I make it through without to much trouble. Going to have to do the pto seal on the 2188 next year. It’s starting to weep a little bit of oil. Add maybe a liter or two every 2-3 days.  Guess we’ll get to experience some of the fun you had on yours as I imagine parts are very similar. 

Hopefully your seal repair will last longer than mine. One harvest I actually resorted to a plastic "catch basin" under the back of the engine to hold the oil that leaked out. Biggest problem with the leak is it made the whole side of the combine body oily and dust catching, plus not good for the shaker arm bushings. And the last pail of CIH Hy tran was $129 this fall. Still way cheaper than JD Hygard but too much to keep wasting. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:21 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

First frost this morning. 

56C1B9C1-8B28-406F-89F2-6B41074D0EBF.jpeg

It amazes me how fast your season goes by up there! It seems like we're planting corn down here, you still have two feet of snow on the ground. Then, I'm thinking about getting the combine out for maintenance and you're done combining!

• Like 4

had a light touch of frost here  Saturday morning, ended up with 2 tenth day before yesterday and really foggy here this morning so somewhat wet weather kicking around, most guys are finished or getting close to the finish line harvest wise, i'm just drifting around, picking rocks and spraying some heavy kochia infestations, sprayed some last fall and notice they were smaller not as thick this year , hoping to break afew acres this fall aswell  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DT Fan said:

It amazes me how fast your season goes by up there! It seems like we're planting corn down here, you still have two feet of snow on the ground. Then, I'm thinking about getting the combine out for maintenance and you're done combining!

The summers sure seem to fly by. The older I get the shorter the summers seem to be too lol. Only had the quad out on a couple of bigger rides this summer. Lots of crop checking but not much for trips unfortunately.  Hopefully do some more riding this fall once we’re done harvesting.   One of the reasons I like winter is a guy can kick back a wee bit more at least. Summer is just go go go.  Only a couple months really to get a lot of stuff done. 

• Like 1

Got going on my wheat this afternoon again and got a couple more semi loads off at least. Was very heavy fog here this morning so wasn’t sure I could even go. Wheat wasn’t quite dry but close enough. Later the fall gets the higher your tolerance gets for tough grain. This was 15.4 and dry is 14.5 so close enough in my books.  I’ve got about 80 acres left yet and then my wheat will be done. Rate we’re going it’ll be 2 more days though😢. Only have the one truck out there is our biggest bottleneck. If I could keep running all day I could almost double my acres done in a day. 

D28EDA29-BC34-4FDA-9577-B3F16DDA2135.jpeg

• Like 1

Been following your trials and tribulations Ralph, hopefully on the home stretch now, could hear in your voice, "adding more things to the list", although we always hope for nice weather a few down days might provide an opportunity for some repairs and then hopefully a window after harvest, good luck on 2 speed parts for the Loadstar, it is your handle so it must survive 😊

Buddy had the shoe break on his 8820 so he drug the 7720 out of retired row to finish up harvest, have a feeling I will be involved in the future in shoe repair...the cobbler...lol

Well finished my wheat this evening so all of my crops is in the bin/pile on the ground now. Thinking about buying another bin but that 20 grand isn’t exactly burning a hole in my pocket either lol. Sadly that’s not a bad price either as they’ve gone up something terrible now with the inflation. Rep said the new ones are coming down some again but I doubt we’ll get anywhere near what our last ones cost. 

Dads got 40 acres of wheat on the sand that’s pretty thin so hopefully finish that tomorrow then all we’ll have left is canola.  He needs to make some more bin space available too. Running short this year which isn’t a bad problem I guess.  Very happy with how my wheat ran. 

Almost ram a rock into the combine today. A extremely rare occurrence for us. I picked the header up at the headland and noticed something on the knife. Reel happened to flick it on the canvas and I stoped the header just in time. Where it lays is where it stoped.  

FCBCB9BD-F831-4A7B-B79B-999EC90F5744.jpeg

9CF0CC30-67CE-4E57-90D4-461140205F94.jpeg

7321FC8D-8555-42D8-9194-78F9598641E6.jpeg

1C088162-D5FC-4D8E-9B89-DDACBA1FA72F.jpeg

A8521E1F-75A5-43DB-88F8-AF95EACB79DF.jpeg

73C887D3-37C8-47CF-A15E-03308A3BFA55.jpeg

D5B54F28-48BD-4452-AEFD-6C60878549D1.jpeg

95CE4F9C-EFD9-475B-8AE7-E5769989890C.jpeg

30FA478A-4615-4699-884F-148546CF6842.jpeg

F77FFD92-F55E-4B3D-AEAD-CA5B58DDD863.jpeg

• Like 5

Well finished my wheat this evening

Almost ram a rock into the combine today. A extremely rare occurrence for us. I picked the header up at the headland and noticed something on the knife. Reel happened to flick it on the canvas and I stoped the header just in time. Where it lays is where it stoped.  

Lucky you caught that rock in time. I got back on canola today as it got down to 9.4%. That straw was so tough going through the combine. Way tougher than wheat and it was not breaking up well either. I needed to set the chopper knives in a little more. Typically canola straw turns to dust and chaff once it goes through the combine but this stuff you could have baled. Finally little bit of fine rain hit about 8:00 and I foolishly tried to keep going and finish the patch I was working on. Plugged the rear beater so bad I'm going to have to get in on the straw walkers with a saw tomorrow to free it up. Tried a bit tonight by hand but gave up on it. Yield is not great but not terrible either. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Lucky you caught that rock in time. I got back on canola today as it got down to 9.4%. That straw was so tough going through the combine. Way tougher than wheat and it was not breaking up well either. I needed to set the chopper knives in a little more. Typically canola straw turns to dust and chaff once it goes through the combine but this stuff you could have baled. Finally little bit of fine rain hit about 8:00 and I foolishly tried to keep going and finish the patch I was working on. Plugged the rear beater so bad I'm going to have to get in on the straw walkers with a saw tomorrow to free it up. Tried a bit tonight by hand but gave up on it. Yield is not great but not terrible either. 

That’s not a fun job to say the least. I’ve had to crawl in on the walkers on the Massey before and was questioning life decisions for a bit lol. Hopefully you can get it freed up without spending to much time inside there. Almost need a rain now to help cure the canola. Little break wouldn’t hurt either.  Fridge is getting low again as it’s been around 10 days since we’ve been in for groceries. 

That’s not a fun job to say the least. I’ve had to crawl in on the walkers on the Massey before and was questioning life decisions for a bit lol. Hopefully you can get it freed up without spending to much time inside there. Almost need a rain now to help cure the canola. Little break wouldn’t hurt either.  Fridge is getting low again as it’s been around 10 days since we’ve been in for groceries. 

We ended up having to unbolt the grate under the rear beater as the canola straw was jammed so tight I could hardly cut it with a saw. I'll have a few bruises from those straw walker fins for sure. That is how we learn to shut down when the rain drops start to show up. 

• Like 2

I was thinking of you today Ralph while I was straight cutting the last of our wheat. Got some real bad semi green parches of buckwheat that wanted to wrap on everything. Kept looking in the mirrors to make sure it was still coming out the back lol.  Cereals are all done now thankfully and looks like just in time if the forecast comes true. They were saying a inch of rain tomorrow. Wouldn’t mind a nice rain now to help the canola. Break the straw down a little bit maybe and take any green out that’s left. 

BF445D44-3FF7-493A-875F-576ED69A0747.png

40 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I was thinking of you today Ralph while I was straight cutting the last of our wheat. Got some real bad semi green parches of buckwheat that wanted to wrap on everything. Kept looking in the mirrors to make sure it was still coming out the back lol.  Cereals are all done now thankfully and looks like just in time if the forecast comes true. They were saying a inch of rain tomorrow. Wouldn’t mind a nice rain now to help the canola. Break the straw down a little bit maybe and take any green out that’s left. 

Yes forecast does not look good for the next couple of days. My canola straw was going through good by 4:00 when we finally got rolling. But by 8:00 the grass was getting wet and I didn't want to push my luck any further. Still got maybe 40 acres on that farm then move West for another field of canola and one of standing wheat. My nephew got some video of me working this evening just after sundown. Straw was breaking up better than yesterday plus we set the chopper knives further in to chop a little better. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Yes forecast does not look good for the next couple of days. My canola straw was going through good by 4:00 when we finally got rolling. But by 8:00 the grass was getting wet and I didn't want to push my luck any further. Still got maybe 40 acres on that farm then move West for another field of canola and one of standing wheat. My nephew got some video of me working this evening just after sundown. Straw was breaking up better than yesterday plus we set the chopper knives further in to chop a little better. 

I hope ya can get all of your canola in the bin and the wheat before there is even more rain. I sometimes look at the Direct Weather youtube channel that weather forcast is almost correct at least this year. We still got the Corn silage and corn combining to do but that will be maybe till October maybe later, and the Soybeans as well. Maybe we might get another cut of Grass and alfalfa. The Fall Rye got broadcast seeded a week and a few days ago and cultivated in and rolled was about 100 acres same field that got combined this year that had the 80 bushel and in places almost a 100, but 80 would be a Conservative number. Straw got balled too some we did with out round baler and the rest the neighbor came with his big square baler. Awesome video by the way

• Like 3

You guys are all going to be done combining before we get rolling in this part of the country lol. Been wet the past week and looks like a few more damp days. But I guess things are still green so if it's gonna rain now is the time

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, db1486 said:

You guys are all going to be done combining before we get rolling in this part of the country lol. Been wet the past week and looks like a few more damp days. But I guess things are still green so if it's gonna rain now is the time

I am not even half done yet. My latest field of canola is going to need some time I think as it was swathed on the green side. Pretty wet here this morning and more showers on the radar so I don't see anything happening in the field for a couple of days. Maybe I'll harvest a few potatoes in the garden. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I am not even half done yet. My latest field of canola is going to need some time I think as it was swathed on the green side. Pretty wet here this morning and more showers on the radar so I don't see anything happening in the field for a couple of days. Maybe I'll harvest a few potatoes in the garden. 

Half done would be a nice feeling lol. If it stays wet like this for another week I'm sure we will be combining canola first. Seemed to do that for years then it turned around the last 5 or so. There is still guys swathing canola here yet. We got greenfeed still a couple weeks away from cutting too. Gonna be a busy October lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, db1486 said:

Half done would be a nice feeling lol. If it stays wet like this for another week I'm sure we will be combining canola first. Seemed to do that for years then it turned around the last 5 or so. There is still guys swathing canola here yet. We got greenfeed still a couple weeks away from cutting too. Gonna be a busy October lol

Sure hope the weather holds for you so you can get the crop off. Imagine you’ve got a pretty good crop coming with all the rain you had. Sometimes a battle getting those later crops in the bin unfortunately. 

Steady rain coming down here now. Neighbors gauge showed almost 3/4”.  I don’t mind the rain for us right now aside from my wheat pile on the ground. Not exactly doing it any favors. It is what it is though. It’s worth more to me in a pile on the ground then standing bleaching out in the field.  Maybe sprouting too. Long term forecast doesn’t look to bad. Going to be a few days off from harvest though. Maybe we’ll get lucky and be able to move some grain out. 

3 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Sure hope the weather holds for you so you can get the crop off. Imagine you’ve got a pretty good crop coming with all the rain you had. Sometimes a battle getting those later crops in the bin unfortunately. 

Steady rain coming down here now. Neighbors gauge showed almost 3/4”.  I don’t mind the rain for us right now aside from my wheat pile on the ground. Not exactly doing it any favors. It is what it is though. It’s worth more to me in a pile on the ground then standing bleaching out in the field.  Maybe sprouting too. Long term forecast doesn’t look to bad. Going to be a few days off from harvest though. Maybe we’ll get lucky and be able to move some grain out. 

If all the crops are like the canola I don't think it will be too spectacular. The canola looked amazing what we had been checking, but once we got swathing it is not near as nice as it looked. All the lower spots in the field are drowned out. Just too much rain for 2 months after seeding. But I guess we will know once we get into it with the combines. Has a half inch of rain today here. Sure made the yard greasy. All week looks like showers off and on. Then turning nice after that.

• Sad 1

Well it rained off and on most of the day here. Kind of quit around 4:00 finally. Awful wind from the north or northwest all day too. Sure made it feel like fall.  Never did warm up much and were under a frost advisory here tonight now. 

Took off on my dirt bike for a while this afternoon just before it quit raining. My nephew and brother in law got drawn for elk here so I was scouting out some areas where I thought they might be. Didn’t see any but found some possible spots where they might have been. The big herds seem to have moved out for now though.  Had a nice little relaxing ride anyways.  Another couple weeks and the scenery will sure look a lot different. Trees are already starting to turn and drop leaves. White stuff is coming regardless if we’re ready for it or not. 

8D247ED4-A592-49A2-9788-19072979205B.jpeg

56A8AE71-FE0A-4D73-AEB2-429450175FA5.jpeg

29E19C5B-8DED-4EC7-BA60-3A0625F156ED.jpeg

4F571443-BD26-4B4D-9D9F-F9832C0038CA.jpeg

AD6C6A99-E4E5-4691-94C2-F5A1F4970738.jpeg

3A4D0CB1-D998-4C29-810D-CE0E76D2D26C.jpeg

0D1FB063-7D9D-4E42-BE3A-A821B2E21A00.jpeg

794E2068-6D0A-4C6A-8F69-C3384A04FFB1.jpeg

F8515976-D3BE-4134-95C8-8A3EBB21B5A0.jpeg

• Like 3

Should be in the rut now, might hear bugling, they are pretty solitary, good luck finally got my draw after 6 years

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hardtail said:

Should be in the rut now, might hear bugling, they are pretty solitary, good luck finally got my draw after 6 years

We used to have a huge heard of them hanging around our north quarter in the bush and nearby hay land. They seem to have moved off now though. Kind of wondering if they didn’t head back across the river again.  Haven’t seen near as much signs of them being around lately.  Nephew caught a couple on camera this summer on the quarter my sister bought but so far hasn't found any to take aim at.  Hopefully you’ll be able track a nice one down and put some meat in the freezer for winter. 

heard of the odd elk in this country but i have yet to see one, finally seen my first nice buck today been pretty slim for deer around here mostly antelope they know what time of year it is and usually head for the pastures for abit of protection from hunters

nothing too exciting to report here just a few odd shower/ gloomy days finally got our first good frost last night and looks like the weather gonna behave long enough to finish the harvest just some slough barley and low spots to clean up 

breaking some grass land, we have now that we own it its worth picking the million rocks and breaking it up, although a disk would be better the cultivator seem to be plowing it up ok so far, its not much just a couple acres if that but better than growing grass and doing nothing with it cant hay it due to rocks either 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wheatking said:

heard of the odd elk in this country but i have yet to see one, finally seen my first nice buck today been pretty slim for deer around here mostly antelope they know what time of year it is and usually head for the pastures for abit of protection from hunters

nothing too exciting to report here just a few odd shower/ gloomy days finally got our first good frost last night and looks like the weather gonna behave long enough to finish the harvest just some slough barley and low spots to clean up 

breaking some grass land, we have now that we own it its worth picking the million rocks and breaking it up, although a disk would be better the cultivator seem to be plowing it up ok so far, its not much just a couple acres if that but better than growing grass and doing nothing with it cant hay it due to rocks either 

Lots of big rocks to burry or just the smaller 4-8” kind? Sure is a lot of work to get a field cleaned up like that. Can’t imagine the work the old timers went through to get a field cleared and ready to plant. We’ve got it pretty easy now by comparison. 

Sounds like my nephew is packing it in for now. They’ve got a whole bunch of canola to straight cut now so he’ll be busy for a couple weeks anyways.  Figures he won’t get back before elk season is over. It’s only 2 weeks he said. Going to come back when white tail season starts.  Said he saw some elk tracks today but didn’t come across any animals at all aside from a black bear.  Found some wolf tracks too. 

10 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Lots of big rocks to burry or just the smaller 4-8” kind? Sure is a lot of work to get a field cleaned up like that. Can’t imagine the work the old timers went through to get a field cleared and ready to plant. We’ve got it pretty easy now by comparison. 

Sounds like my nephew is packing it in for now. They’ve got a whole bunch of canola to straight cut now so he’ll be busy for a couple weeks anyways.  Figures he won’t get back before elk season is over. It’s only 2 weeks he said. Going to come back when white tail season starts.  Said he saw some elk tracks today but didn’t come across any animals at all aside from a black bear.  Found some wolf tracks too. 

mostly 4-8 but quite afew boulders i poped them out with a rock digger i rented last fall, theres a couple spots where the previous owner many years ago just dumped a bucket of rocks just wherever, so may hire a track hoe to come in and burry some of them on the spot, its not to bad of a job now that the mosquitos are gone and its cooler out, i cleaned up the old barb wire fence last fall aswell got most of the month of october so i figure i should get some/most of it cleaned up and broke yet 

• Like 1