2022 crop pics

Helped the neighbor this morning who is selling everything out after his dad passed away recently. His own tractor hadn’t ram in 3 years and needed the inj pump off and redone.   Rosa master pump on a white 2-135. Helped him finish taking it off the other day and install it after he had it rebuilt. Went together good at least. Got back in time to finish putting the combine back together or at least mostly. Haven’t put the top sieve back in yet. Cam I ordered for the shaker arm came in so I could try that. It did indeed help with the noise and shaking that I could see/feel. Ran much smoother now. Don’t know of anything else that needs major attention so hopefully a quick service and it’ll be ready to go. Believe I have a rear main seal weeping s tiny bit but I’m going to leave that for another year I think. Pull the motor next year maybe and go through everything while it’s open. Pto has never been apart as far as I know so I imagine it could use some attention too.  Couple 2588 combines coming up for auction next week but suspect they’ll creep up pretty good too. 

5 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Thats a nice looking crop of wheat you have there. I think it would be lodged here after that 4 inches of rain on the weekend. Neighbours started swathing oats yesterday and are going at it today with both swathers. Took this shot this afternoon. 

Oat swathing aug 18.JPG

Looks good. Maybe a touch on the green side compared to when we swath but no shelling that way.  They’re getting a little bit more sticky now with glyphosate so we may see more swathing again. Couple years ago they were preaching sell the swather lol. Sure glad we haven’t had those heavy downpours here yet. They’ve been way to close though. Water laying all over just outside of Melfort. Fields look wet yet. 

4 hours ago, hardtail said:

Was always thinking of a bale boiler for heating, best straw you can get

That would work good. I recall a guy in southern mb had a big setup that he could dump 1 or maybe 2 in and it would last all day. We would have to grow alot more flax if we needed 2 bales a day to burn lol

• Like 1

harvest has started here, got going on yellow peas good quality so far not bad yeild, way better than last year, hoping to get them finished up quickly, peas are getting so dry the pods are poping open in this heat 

got 1 feild of canola swathed aswell hoping to get a few more down yet to, this heat is just unforgiving not even any clouds to give a guy a break, would like to see it cool off abit so i can swath all day not just at night to get caught up quicker 

• Like 1

No harvest progress here yet. Few guys going on the sand now but not much else happening. Saw some peas being taken off across the river but that’s lighter land too. Wont be long though. Took off from home at about 1:30 with the quad loaded up. Headed across the river to the bush where I haven’t ridden as much. Have to cross 2 ferries to get there so it takes a little while. Especially when they have guys hauling grain. Little unusual so I snapped a pic. Some of the heavier loads that they cross there.  Combine is probably not far off that weight though too now.  Put on just shy of 120 kms anyways and had a nice break. Probably the last chance I’ll have before harvest so figured I better just drop everything and go. Ended up a little late as I had to pick up the hyd puller set I bought from my neighbor. Gave me a really good deal so I couldn’t say no.  Toured past the diamond mine site on my way in and out. Few trucks running around but things are pretty quiet for the time being again. 

20B7BDD3-BB67-428B-AC01-E356146052F5.jpeg

B87A04F9-2F3E-4DD5-8732-DCF7A6F71DBE.jpeg

B7B746F2-04AE-4A85-87AD-0CDBB672F98C.jpeg

C686D1DB-D0C6-4743-AD0A-9AE306814657.jpeg

D8372D79-8A24-473B-B8D8-FB30AEC14B28.jpeg

206C7AF3-7B66-42FE-B6EC-190019932678.jpeg

063020EE-EFE5-4979-9D8F-A4B8BE3CE372.jpeg

49FB7BDF-B3B2-4933-A452-14B8DA26D9BA.jpeg

1F293518-F326-4975-AA3C-3770BA92FBC3.jpeg

557B9E2B-A04B-495D-B7B3-44AC5F04A65E.jpeg

E722C9E4-2D86-45BA-8EE9-36A25679EECE.jpeg

A4FD0DEC-BEF8-4135-9EAB-6CDB47383179.jpeg

C6F3C6CE-8AB3-45CF-A5A9-C848F8456D58.jpeg

D808C102-DA6B-43E8-B761-7049885DAA1F.jpeg

29CBA27B-5185-4B2D-8880-D65DFEC57577.jpeg

94E66148-C157-4FF8-82D4-81EB7890A33C.jpeg

B7E0A2B6-C72F-43D8-9E7B-6348B3B0B0CA.jpeg

• Like 6

3498E888-5311-4C79-BA9A-2A6452BD3F68.jpeg

A6B76755-373A-48B1-9D36-4ADC29141A96.jpeg

2077E1C9-7FFF-4EAA-B23D-6C0E5B76A509.jpeg

6AB3C219-5FBF-4A63-ADD9-74FB23D2AA14.jpeg

Been cutting for just over a week now.  Did 500 acres of lentils, 1,400 acres of winter wheat and now started the coors barley yesterday.  This particular field is running 80-100 bpa.  Seeded on fallow ground.

• Like 3

Started cutting down canola this afternoon. Some over ripe, some green as grass. Worked til about 9:00. Thunderstorms all around and its pouring rain now at 10. Might be too muddy to start early tomorrow. 

IMG_4100[1].JPG

• Like 1

Pea harvest is done with onto the next thing which is i'm not sure yet, was swathing canola aswell till the wobble box decided to destroy itself, ive greased it but i guess it was just time to go, not mad about it as ive covered alot of acres with in since ive had the swather so ill look forward to i'm guessing a $1000 repair bill 

are canola is probably in the ripe 'er stage that i shouldn't be swathing but i figured i'll do both then i'm only half wrong, gotta get the barley swathed aswell sometime here 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wheatking said:

Pea harvest is done with onto the next thing which is i'm not sure yet, was swathing canola aswell till the wobble box decided to destroy itself, ive greased it but i guess it was just time to go, not mad about it as ive covered alot of acres with in since ive had the swather so ill look forward to i'm guessing a $1000 repair bill 

I priced a new wobble box for my Macdon john deere a few years ago and it was either 3000 from JD or 1500 through A&I. Got lucky and it was only a seal gone on the input shaft. Flax straw had got in and wrapped and destroyed the seal. 

2 inches rain last night. On top of the 4 we had the weekend before. I was able to get back swathing canola this afternoon and it was good going. Mole hills were muddy though. 

2360 on 30.jpg

• Like 3

I think combine world was about the best price on new or rebuilt wobbleboxes. We've rebuilt a couple here over the years and really just parts alone are not far off what a rebuilt one costs.

No harvest action around here yet. Another nice rainy day today. Still trying to finish haying but don't really want to cut when it's either raining or high humidity and not drying. We baled up what was down yesterday but even after 3 days around 30 Celsius the humidity was so high the hay was just borderline dry. On Saturday the top of the swath was dry and bottom was wet, so I raked it about noon. A few hours later I checked it and what was dry before was now damp and what was damp was now dry. It was hot and a nice breeze, but not drying at all. 

• Like 1

Getting close here now. My barley is almost ready. Can’t quite straight cut it so probably swath it in the next few days. Hopefully combine it next week if I’m lucky.  Went for a little drive tonight on my quad just to take a look.  Went up to the river after just for the heck of it. Definitely dropped down some since the last time I was down there. 

FC508FC2-6A3A-462B-A57C-A0DD9375DBE6.jpeg

C5E06292-AD98-4CEE-965F-D375C9284F9A.png

EAB7358C-E384-442C-889F-6A239AA1AC75.jpeg

D574AB8F-565F-47BA-9D59-7F5ED75B429F.jpeg

• Like 2

Over half done swathing my canola today. Second field looked quite a bit better than the first except for some bad kochia patches. Took a picture of a badly lodged oat field on the way home. Heavy crop that had heavy rain and wind on it. 

IMG_4105[1].JPG

IMG_4108[1].JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Over half done swathing my canola today. Second field looked quite a bit better than the first except for some bad kochia patches. Took a picture of a badly lodged oat field on the way home. Heavy crop that had heavy rain and wind on it. 

IMG_4105[1].JPG

IMG_4108[1].JPG

Our canola is still way to green to swath. Probably another 10 days yet I’m thinking. Just barely starting to turn in places now. I still want to spray some out and straight cut it but dads still leaning towards swathing it. Hard to break old habits.

Are you running the 1660 this year? 

Looked at a couple different combines today again. A 8010 and a 8120. Not bad looking machines but definitely not new either. Both need a little bit of work but as far as I know nothing serious. Not sure if we’ll but or not. Would like to get something newer but we’ll have to see I guess. 

Hauled out the last of my canola this morning. Only had 800 bushels left in the bin so wanted to get it cleared out. Nothing to special for a price but needed the bin space. 

been working away here didn't quite get all the canola swathed just got to ripe to fast so i'll try straight cutting again this year, unsure if i'll spray it  yet it seems clean and tall to i should be able to keep the header up out of any green, spent all day swathing barley quite a crop and a lot of straw, ran into to green of stuff so swather may stay parked for a day or 2 might try combining durum tomorrow

8010's are a good machine my neighbor traded 2 of them off this summer, i thought about it but I'm not ready for a different machine yet a new drill is on my Wishlist this winter, the 8120's are good to most of them burnt up out of this area something with the chopper bearing set up but i'm sure most of them are updated by now, the only thing is now your up grading for a 2188 or say an 8120 is now you need a different header and those are going for quite abit these days due to macdon being behind on building new ones 

oh  and the wobblebox for my swather was $3200 i just about put the swather for sale at that point but the header hasnt cost me to much last couple years so i guess it is what it is, just thankful my local new holland dealer had one 

1 minute ago, wheatking said:

been working away here didn't quite get all the canola swathed just got to ripe to fast so i'll try straight cutting again this year, unsure if i'll spray it  yet it seems clean and tall to i should be able to keep the header up out of any green, spent all day swathing barley quite a crop and a lot of straw, ran into to green of stuff so swather may stay parked for a day or 2 might try combining durum tomorrow

8010's are a good machine my neighbor traded 2 of them off this summer, i thought about it but I'm not ready for a different machine yet a new drill is on my Wishlist this winter, the 8120's are good to most of them burnt up out of this area something with the chopper bearing set up but i'm sure most of them are updated by now

oh  and the wobblebox for my swather was $3200 i just about put the swather for sale at that point but the header hasnt cost me to much last couple years so i guess it is what it is, just thankful my local new holland dealer had one 

Ouch that was a expensive repair for sure. We paid 9,000 for the whole header last year lol.  Just checked out combine worlds price just for kicks and it was the same. Hopefully ours keeps going for a long time yet. Technically we do have a spare here as they’re the same on both headers but don’t want to have to start robbing parts either. Have 3 or 4 new knife drive motors here on hand but wasn’t able to get any other parts unfortunately.  

This 8010 is a 06 with 2800 hours. Not bad hours for the year but still getting up there. 8120 is a 09 and has 2600 hours I believe.  Fresh trades on Deere’s lot so a guy stands a chance of getting a slightly better deal at least. Both are going to need cones before long was there biggest thing I found. Could put a liner kit in but I kind of hate bandage repairs too. Odd how the 88 series cones never seem to wear out but the newer ones you’re doing every 1500-2,000 hours it seems. I get they’re stuffing more material into them but even so. 

ha ya no doubt the worse part is my header is a double drive so is the other wobble box not far away?? looking at it im not sure if my old is is even rebuildable it was still working when i notice it, i was going along and thought i could smell something and look over and the box was smoking the metal was steaming hot, figure the damage was done but thought i could make it to the end of the pass i tried it locked up 10ft away 

ya the newer ones require alot of more maintance but like you mentioned your putting alot of material through and frankly i think the quality of the metal isnt as good as the older 88 series my 2388 had just over 3000 thresher hours and looked great inside the bolt heads were wearing off but cone was in great shape yet, they may be looking to deal to get them off the lot and gone, my 7088 when i got it came from a deere dealer and they slashed prices on off brand combines to get rid of them instead of taking a hit a Ritchie's 

looked up and found the machines your looking at both look good, not bad priced but cash  deal could be better who knows, when you think about 2 super bees of canola and that 8010 could almost be paid for haha 

Not exactly sure what all is inside there so I don’t know how expensive it would be to repair. Hopefully I won’t have to find out lol.  Definitely one downside to double knife drive fee extra expensive parts for sure. 

I put all new cone bolts in ours 2 years ago as the heads were worn enough the bolts were starting to fall out lol.  Cone and veins were still good though. 

Sales manager said they had some wiggle room if we were interested so a cash deal would be a bit better for sure. The 8120 actually had a almost new pickup header on it. Guy traded it on a 8240 but kept his old pickup so they put the newer one on the 8120.  It’s seen more stones them the 8010 though. More dings at the back of the chopper.  I looked at a 8120 online and it looked like they’d used it as a gravel crusher lol.  Least the auctioneer was good enough to take pictures of it to show it. 

24ADF966-3FCC-4643-9299-0A2D63655958.png

10 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Are you running the 1660 this year? 

Looked at a couple different combines today again. A 8010 and a 8120.

Not unless the 7721 or Magnum fail. I've lost hope on ever getting that 1660 fixed. Tired of throwing money, time and labour into it to barely get two seasons before the pto seal leaks oil again. The first time I did that job I said thank goodness I'll never have to do it again. But then we did. Its a big job on the farm and the cost of shop labour would soon eat up the value of the whole combine. Not sure where I"m going with it but right now a good used 95/9600 would look pretty attractive to me. 

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Not unless the 7721 or Magnum fail. I've lost hope on ever getting that 1660 fixed. Tired of throwing money, time and labour into it to barely get two seasons before the pto seal leaks oil again. The first time I did that job I said thank goodness I'll never have to do it again. But then we did. Its a big job on the farm and the cost of shop labour would soon eat up the value of the whole combine. Not sure where I"m going with it but right now a good used 95/9600 would look pretty attractive to me. 

That’s to bad Ralph. Maybe a good used pto would be the fix. I hear you it’s a pretty big job to tear it all apart and definitely frustrating when it doesn’t last. Wonder if there’s some bearings inside getting loose causing the seal to go out again? There was a really nice 2166 went through schapansky’s sale this fall. Think it sold for around that 25,000. I’ll keep my eyes open and if I see any I’ll let you know. 

Harvest is finishing up quickly in this area. 

I took this picture when we were close to half finished from my cart tractor. 

IMG_20220816_130425.jpg

• Like 2

7C6D5223-3CF7-48E9-B242-1C838C5FDDA0.jpeg

F6C82E79-677C-42F9-B51C-36D199BAA5BA.jpeg

Just finishing coors M-165.  Since it has been damp and cool the last few days we are taking the opportunity to drop some straw.  This is one of our best fields and loads have been averaging 95+ bpa.  Next will be coors m-100.  

• Like 4

Checked my latest field of canola this morning and I think it needs a few more days judging by how green it is. Seeded June 2 I believe. Nice looking crop and pleased to see not much sign of kochia. There was a lot of it here last year. 

IMG_4112[1].JPG

• Like 2