2022 crop pics

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

Beef for the freezer 🤔

It may just come to that lol. I haven’t seen them yet but there’s tracks all over the countryside here now. Someone will likely pick them off I’m guessing. Not the first time this has happened. They had a whole bunch out one summer and almost destroyed the neighbors canola crop. 

• Sad 1

I think their interpretation of community pasture and ours differ...😳

• Like 1

things are moving along here the to do list is getting shorter, desicating peas will be right around the bend here, parts came in for my swing auger so get that fixed here 

temps are hot and more hot so might make this crop all come in at once, cleaning bin out today sucked cleaned 13 19ft flat bins 4 of them have the in ground cone in them which suck even more did the other 6 bins yesterday 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wheatking said:

temps are hot and more hot so might make this crop all come in at once, cleaning bin out today sucked cleaned 13 19ft flat bins 4 of them have the in ground cone in them which suck even more did the other 6 bins yesterday 

Not too terrible hot here lately but the next couple of days sound like they could be. Oats and wheat are turning light colours now. Canola too on the high spots. 

Grain vac is the best invention yet for cleaning out flat bins. I did an oat bin yesterday morning. After decades of shoveling grain the vac is a pleasure to use. 

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Not too terrible hot here lately but the next couple of days sound like they could be. Oats and wheat are turning light colours now. Canola too on the high spots. 

Grain vac is the best invention yet for cleaning out flat bins. I did an oat bin yesterday morning. After decades of shoveling grain the vac is a pleasure to use. 

ya was cooler here this morning even spit a few rain drops got more stuff done this morning,

by cleaning bins out i meant with a broom and shovel, cleaning out remaining seeds and rotten stuff, i empty out the bins with the auger then go in with the vac to finish up, very nice to use less dust is what i like the most so get the bins clean out pretty good just the rotten stuff gotta be done be hand the vac is the best in them in ground cone hopper, i value my foot to much to risk slipping on canola or peas and falling into the cone  with the auger rattling away 

Me and dad did 1/10 of an acre cut the old fashioned way and tied into sheaves and stooked, still another small plot to do and maybe another one where the combine can't get too. I know I know Crazy dude lol

1716988871_Roggen001.thumb.JPG.f2759ead2409dbdb854159d715298948.JPG585631401_Roggen003.thumb.JPG.e2d0868ca81a423a21ce6048dcecf72f.JPG

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, U-C said:

Me and dad did 1/10 of an acre cut the old fashioned way and tied into sheaves and stooked, still another small plot to do and maybe another one where the combine can't get too. I know I know Crazy dude lol

1716988871_Roggen001.thumb.JPG.f2759ead2409dbdb854159d715298948.JPG585631401_Roggen003.thumb.JPG.e2d0868ca81a423a21ce6048dcecf72f.JPG

Keeps ya in shape that’s for sure and makes you appreciate the modern tools that much more.  Is that some of your fall rye? Going to run it through a thrashing machine too? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Keeps ya in shape that’s for sure and makes you appreciate the modern tools that much more.  Is that some of your fall rye? Going to run it through a thrashing machine too? 

Exactly and sometimes it makes one think how where they able to do all that and still get it done in time. I mostly mown with a Swiss Style scythe but that one is out of service till it gets welded would be nice to get some new ones from the old country. For grass a good experienced mower can mow about an acre in 10 hours! 

Yes that is the Fall Rye but in a corner where todays combines with there huge headers can't get to lol. Sadly we don't have a threshing machine so we will feed it threw the neighbors combine or worse case scenario we might have to use flails lol

-Urs

5 hours ago, U-C said:

Exactly and sometimes it makes one think how where they able to do all that and still get it done in time. I mostly mown with a Swiss Style scythe but that one is out of service till it gets welded would be nice to get some new ones from the old country. For grass a good experienced mower can mow about an acre in 10 hours! 

Yes that is the Fall Rye but in a corner where todays combines with there huge headers can't get to lol. Sadly we don't have a threshing machine so we will feed it threw the neighbors combine or worse case scenario we might have to use flails lol

-Urs

Yup don’t think I’d make a acre a day that’s for sure lol.  I was starting to get tired running the whipper snipper(string trimmer)  for a hour at the church cemetery clean up today lol. 

would be kind of fun to have a thrashing machine to run a little bit through each fall. Dad always talks about being up on the wagon stacking sheaths. All was going well till grandpa through some up and the pitchfork came with it lol. Luckily it just went into his pant legs and not deep into the leg. 

Anyone else get some wild weather today? Storms split and went north and south of us as far as I know thankfully. Haven’t been out to my wheat yet but it seemed to miss it on the radar. Melfort had 1.5 inches or more though in a short time. My brother lives at Neuanlage just north of Saskatoon. He said they had 3 inches in a half hour and then more showers after that. Bunch of hail with it too unfortunately. Figured his enclosed snowmobile trailer might be a write off. 

55173A4E-79EE-448F-BAE7-AFFA51B4AC83.jpeg

61DD44E1-F8A2-4EED-819D-858E4504573A.jpeg

7A4887A4-54DC-4EB5-8D6D-946F8D11024D.jpeg

6701549F-AB50-4A04-9E98-6EB3C588F01C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Anyone else get some wild weather today? Storms split and went north and south of us as far as I know

No, Saturday was a beautiful sunny and warm day for the local car show. Later that night driving home about 9:30 was an incredible light show and wind. Started to rain just as I got home and then poured for quite a while. I'm seeing 4 inches in my gauge this morning and some water standing in the yard. Have not been out to check too far yet but what crop I can see looks to still be standing. No hail here luckily. I hear there was a lot of wind damage to  buildings and trees in the Wadena area. The hay I cut last Wednesday will be soaked again if it didn't blow away in the wind. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Loadstar said:

No, Saturday was a beautiful sunny and warm day for the local car show. Later that night driving home about 9:30 was an incredible light show and wind. Started to rain just as I got home and then poured for quite a while. I'm seeing 4 inches in my gauge this morning and some water standing in the yard. Have not been out to check too far yet but what crop I can see looks to still be standing. No hail here luckily. I hear there was a lot of wind damage to  buildings and trees in the Wadena area. The hay I cut last Wednesday will be soaked again if it didn't blow away in the wind. 

Few storms rolling around here today again but only had one shower at the farm. North of the river had more again though. That’s where I’ve been wanting to go for a quad ride but so far time and weather hasn’t cooperated.  Tends to be some wet spots if it rains a bunch and my quad is nice and clean at the moment.  

Crops seem to be taking the rain and wind ok so far. They haven’t layed down any worse yet at least. Hopefully stays that way. 

no nothing for crazy weather here just hot temps, few feilds of lentils comin off here but there always early, i finished spraying peas tonight so be about 5 days before we roll i think, rained for about a minute last night and lightning for abit but nothin to crazy 

wanting to put some canola down before pea harvest starts but no to excited to swath canola in this heat, even if i swath at night being hot and dry during the day aint the best for it either in a swath i dont know what to do there yet 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wheatking said:

no nothing for crazy weather here just hot temps, few feilds of lentils comin off here but there always early, i finished spraying peas tonight so be about 5 days before we roll i think, rained for about a minute last night and lightning for abit but nothin to crazy 

wanting to put some canola down before pea harvest starts but no to excited to swath canola in this heat, even if i swath at night being hot and dry during the day aint the best for it either in a swath i dont know what to do there yet 

We have all straight cut invigor variety’s this year so not sure what I’ll do yet. I’m tempted to do most of it with the header but I’m sure dad will be hesitant to do that as we haven’t straight cut any before. Always swather it so you can be sure he’ll want to swath it again regardless  if it’s right or wrong lol.  I know I lost some on my one field last year for some reason. Seemed to shell out in the swath. When I came to combine it it was pretty green underneath. Rest was fine though just that one 55 ac field.  Still some canola fields blooming in the area yet. Ours is basically done and it’s starting to drop leaves now. Haven’t checked for worms yet. Probably should be out scouting some if it would quit raining. 

17 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We have all straight cut invigor variety’s this year so not sure what I’ll do yet. I’m tempted to do most of it with the header but I’m sure dad will be hesitant to do that as we haven’t straight cut any before. Always swather it so you can be sure he’ll want to swath it again regardless  if it’s right or wrong lol.  I know I lost some on my one field last year for some reason. Seemed to shell out in the swath. When I came to combine it it was pretty green underneath. Rest was fine though just that one 55 ac field.  Still some canola fields blooming in the area yet. Ours is basically done and it’s starting to drop leaves now. Haven’t checked for worms yet. Probably should be out scouting some if it would quit raining. 

i guess were in the same boat lol  i'm only swathing cause dad want his canola down, i plan on putting the 75 acres of mine behind the house down and straight cutting the rest, mine isn't the pod shatter but I've gotten away with it before straight cutting and it worked out fine, next yr will be all pod shatter and hopefully the swather will stay parked once ya straight cut it once its hard to go back, i enjoy swathing and combining a swath but its unreal how  smooth the canola feeds in straight cutting it aswell as better yield do to the bigger seed kernels 

• Like 2

Saw the first swather running today working on a field of oats. The neighbour has many quarters of oats this year and they are looking good. Hope to get some pictures later. 

Not much to add in crop progress here. Things are looking very nice. Some canola is done blooming, some still going. Been in full flower over a month now. Wheat is starting to get that colour change to it, so likely be 3 weeks away. Haying is still ongoing. Down to the very end but after a week and half of no rain mother nature decided she needed to catch us up and gave us 2 inches yesterday morning with a good storm, and another good shot tonight. We probably got a couple tenths tonight at home, but sounds like inches again a few miles east. I guess dry is not a word we can be associated with this year lol.

Here's a few pics from the past couple weeks 

Snapchat-84394608.thumb.jpg.c3b2961545a13ec31bd0a80894be3c16.jpg

20220807_211419.thumb.jpg.4d0e3ea002492a54e5d81586cafa2a54.jpg

Snapchat-538067094.thumb.jpg.702e934bbf5537bfff411550223303d4.jpg

Snapchat-1909282331.thumb.jpg.ca5be587ce783be9972890bdb667342f.jpg

20220808_111017.thumb.jpg.dcdc9195a4d0e8e5f912aec7d50e3476.jpg

20220813_153144.thumb.jpg.58607cec032e7ab5c33693e2d3fb67f9.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ontarioal said:

Is there a market for flax straw

Cheers

Al

Kind of varies by area I think. Was a few guys here a few years ago looking for it to set up a plant. They even had a dirt turning ceremony for a big plant not more then 30 miles from us. It never materialized though.  

Drive by my wheat today and had a look. Starting to turn now and the heads are pretty much done filling. Looks like it’s filled out not to bad so hopefully it yields good. With expenses what they are I’d sure like to see at least 60 bpa. Not sure if I’ll make it or not though.  Found some odd looking bugs in and around the heads. Some seemed to be eating the other so for now I’ll just leave well enough alone I think.  Was a alarming amount of them anyways. Just odd looking insects though. Some kind of black and yellow beetle and some very skinny clear like worms. 

9957785F-6104-4488-8EE2-D177E6B6516A.jpeg

4C657F7A-F3EA-4B02-A088-0AA83C9CA190.jpeg

343F8EB7-855F-4674-8A51-5498112C7C4B.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ontarioal said:

Is there a market for flax straw

Cheers

Al

There was a plant at Elie that used to buy from all of MB and a good chuck of SK. Up until last year, so now as far as I know there is really no market for it other than a few bales here and there that people want. Most of ours turns to ash lol

19 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Drive by my wheat today and had a look. Starting to turn now and the heads are pretty much done filling. Looks like it’s filled out not to bad so hopefully it yields good. With expenses what they are I’d sure like to see at least 60 bpa.  

Thats a nice looking crop of wheat you have there. I think it would be lodged here after that 4 inches of rain on the weekend. Neighbours started swathing oats yesterday and are going at it today with both swathers. Took this shot this afternoon. 

Oat swathing aug 18.JPG

• Like 3

20 hours ago, db1486 said:

There was a plant at Elie that used to buy from all of MB and a good chuck of SK. Up until last year, so now as far as I know there is really no market for it other than a few bales here and there that people want. Most of ours turns to ash lol

Was always thinking of a bale boiler for heating, best straw you can get

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Was always thinking of a bale boiler for heating, best straw you can get

Was a fellow near pa making them but he was making them out of very thing gauge sheet metal. Couldn’t see how it would last. He claimed he was going on 5 years already on the one he’d made so who knows. Was selling them for 8-10,000 as I recall.  Was a fellow on the prairie farm report years ago too that had built a bale burner to heat the 2 homes, shop and grain drying needs.  Sure a lot easier dumping a bale in then cutting firewood. 

• Like 2