2022 crop pics

My latest seeded canola field is still blooming pretty strong but the earlier ones are more green than yellow now. We may not be too far off normal timing after all. Photo from yesterday cutting the creek grass where it cuts through the canola field. Half inch of rain before I finished. 

IMG_4062[1].JPG

• Like 2

We had a half a inch here as well. Calling for a inch or more tomorrow night and into Tuesday though. Could do without that for now. Probably have enough to fill the crops out here now. Need to haul more grain this week so hopefully the weather cooperates. Have to finish up the combine too. Took the tip sieve out and checked everything over. Couldn’t find anything really wrong aside from one bolt that was worn on the shaker arm drive. Not the source of my noise though I’m pretty sure. Going to put it back together and run it without the tips sieve just to see again. 

4 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We had a half a inch here as well. Calling for a inch or more tomorrow night and into Tuesday though. Could do without that for now. Probably have enough to fill the crops out here now. Need to haul more grain this week so hopefully the weather cooperates. Have to finish up the combine too. Took the tip sieve out and checked everything over. Couldn’t find anything really wrong aside from one bolt that was worn on the shaker arm drive. Not the source of my noise though I’m pretty sure. Going to put it back together and run it without the tips sieve just to see again. 

what kinda of noise are you dealing with on the combine ?

temperature hot hot here things are changing fast worked this morning at rearranged the big shed to get more thing out of the sun hopefully a shower would roll throu here to cool things down, mechanically i'm close to being ready for harvest, my big auger needs alot of work that i got parts on order for, and cleaning bins out

6 hours ago, wheatking said:

what kinda of noise are you dealing with on the combine ?

temperature hot hot here things are changing fast worked this morning at rearranged the big shed to get more thing out of the sun hopefully a shower would roll throu here to cool things down, mechanically i'm close to being ready for harvest, my big auger needs alot of work that i got parts on order for, and cleaning bins out

Kind of a ratcheting sound. I think some of it may be coming from the augers as they are pretty loose on the hex shafts. I may tighten up the sprockets a wee bit yet just to take out a little bit of the slop.  The sound seems to correlate with a bit of a shake on the sieves as the combine is shutting down.  When the rotor comes to a stop you can hear it. Not so much when it’s running. 

Took off to visit my sister and brother at their cabins at the lake today. We all got together at my sisters and had a big supper so was kind of a relaxing day for the most part. Got to visit with some of the family that we don’t see to often. Was threatening rain for a while but never amounted to much. Was one little shower go through but that was it. Lake was actually pretty quiet for a long weekend. Usually it’s just packed. Gas prices have slowed that down some maybe. 

15B3B396-CC48-489C-AE19-8190B6958158.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, U-C said:

The Fall Rye is about a week or two away from being combined if the weather stays nice

654022157_bilder032.thumb.JPG.344c6bc62c0dd6f673fa60bd81de7b99.JPG1415102420_bilder034.thumb.JPG.105a35673d6b830d633d1e301fc51fa0.JPG

Was thinking about you while we were hauling grain wondering how the rye was coming along. There’s a seed grower here who has a section of it seeded and it’s probably a couple weeks away yet. Would be sooner if it stayed above 30 everyday though. Sounds like we’re in for a cool down now though. Hopefully it doesn’t get to cold and freeze. That would be pretty devastating this year. 

• Like 1

Well woke up to a heavy downpour this morning with lots of thunder and lightning. Thankfully nothing like the stuff a couple hours south of hardtail.  Seems to be a bad area through there for storms. I remember that bad tornado that went through pine lake quite a few years ago. 

Crops are defiantly laying down more after the rain and wind this morning and afternoon but thankfully not as bad as some areas. Should be ok yet and some will likely stand up again. Some other fields are are worse though.  Barley kitty corner to us is down pretty bad. Canola is nearly done blooming now. Just the low spots and stuff that filled in later now mostly blooming. This hollow was under water in early June so it’s turned out not to bad considering.  First 2 pics are 24 hours apart.   

BEA0D0B9-A91E-4BB5-BB5F-CC02B0A00691.jpeg

7ED8DBAE-9E8A-4007-B11D-D194A0DE41A0.jpeg

F16FF3DE-8356-40F9-83F0-E0091743BE5F.jpeg

0C66DF77-990D-434E-8AA9-BF01A3F7CECA.jpeg

4F75C2D5-10E7-4F49-9AC2-5C8A2046112C.jpeg

4C215282-20D7-4FA7-A595-146200A58D3F.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Was thinking about you while we were hauling grain wondering how the rye was coming along. There’s a seed grower here who has a section of it seeded and it’s probably a couple weeks away yet. Would be sooner if it stayed above 30 everyday though. Sounds like we’re in for a cool down now though. Hopefully it doesn’t get to cold and freeze. That would be pretty devastating this year. 

Ya a early frost would suck, the silage corn is way behind will take a pic of it and the soybeans were also very late in the ground late May in places and early June. Two weekends ago I showed a local Museum director how mowing with a scythe was done. He even took a video and its posted on FB. There was also a 74 year old there too and he wrote a local historical atlas of the Mennonites that settled my area and he said as long as he has been around he never seen a spring so late. 

-Urs

• Like 1

13 hours ago, U-C said:

Ya a early frost would suck, the silage corn is way behind will take a pic of it and the soybeans were also very late in the ground late May in places and early June. Two weekends ago I showed a local Museum director how mowing with a scythe was done. He even took a video and its posted on FB. There was also a 74 year old there too and he wrote a local historical atlas of the Mennonites that settled my area and he said as long as he has been around he never seen a spring so late. 

-Urs

We got a scythe at a auction a couple years ago but to be honest I’ve never tried to use it. Probably end up cutting my leg or something lol.   Things have caught up a little bit here now but we’re still close to a week behind. Usually looking for army worms around the 5-10th of august. Canola isn’t at a stage yet where they will harm it i don’t think but will have to start looking pretty soon.  Hopefully won’t have to spray. Been a few years now since they’ve shown up. 

So far we’re in the clear. Nasty little storms on either side of us though. Hail in Melfort. Not sure how bad but saw some pics of some quarter size stuff.  Took the drone up right after it poured down here. Was actually still spitting. iPhone captures the clouds by Melfort a little better though. 

4BB05DDB-6624-4739-BBBE-B0B27CD67E95.jpeg

1B41CF09-BDA7-47D1-934C-47E54BC4F5A0.png

6C6FAA18-7243-41E8-A660-86D8CE6C924B.png

B8287870-C778-4383-9804-32CA2F0F8EC5.png

8A1BAF06-FB84-43A9-8F3B-9A42E1C7F0A7.png

529C9548-F8BC-4148-91BC-8CC1B1551FF5.jpeg

my local town had a big wind storm rip through it the other day, parent had a tree on the house i had to go chop that big poplar down other than that were dry here, rain in the next 5 days or dont bother anymore, figure i'll spray peas in a weeks time then be rollin with the combine before you know it

working away on things here i seem to be adding things to the list as fast as i'm checking them off, but thats the way it goes i guess your never really ready for harvest you just go and hope for the best,  working on my macdon header installing a new canvas draper motor, spent 2 hrs at it so far the old motor is stuck into the roller i cant seem to budge it out maybe some torch heat will make it pop out and get that all back together, still got bins to clean out as well hard to get motivated for that one 

• Like 1

Rained off and on all afternoon again so I took off tonight on my dirt bike to do some crop checking on my rented land. Hadn’t rained as much there. I actually stayed dry walking through the crop. Road was wet in places from before though so it’s had enough there too for now.  Crops doing ok. Filling out slowly.  Wild oats took a beating but as I expected a small portion of them went to seed. Heck of a lot better then it would’ve been otherwise though.  As far advanced as they were I guess that’s about as good a kill as you could expect.  Went for a little ride up around the river after. Cut through the forestry and checked out the blueberry crop. It’s just starting to come on now.  Sure getting cold out now though  down to 50°F now as I type.

109A6CC1-A6FE-49E2-BDF5-7895C70C61F6.jpeg

65705E1F-1C5F-43AF-AFA1-D8EE237B447C.jpeg

DEE17173-BF59-47A0-93B3-30FE341789B5.jpeg

5EF7B08E-4C4F-4F98-8A96-22D25D011FB7.jpeg

A95FE81B-D3B5-4685-BBBA-55BFF1B3291D.jpeg

3E91E81E-F460-4863-9F0D-64782D2BA4C0.jpeg

AA3782C2-586A-469E-BE20-F5A169A16F5C.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Rained off and on all afternoon again   Sure getting cold out now though  down to 50°F now as I type.

Windy and cold yesterday afternoon but no rain until evening when I had a five mile drive home on the open 730 Case. Day before was so hot cleaning out bins and next day hypothermia. I even heard the words "possibility of frost" in last night's forecast. The last thing we want to hear for the rest of this month. That nice new crop has a long way to go before its safe. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Windy and cold yesterday afternoon but no rain until evening when I had a five mile drive home on the open 730 Case. Day before was so hot cleaning out bins and next day hypothermia. I even heard the words "possibility of frost" in last night's forecast. The last thing we want to hear for the rest of this month. That nice new crop has a long way to go before its safe. 

That’s for sure. We need at least another 3 weeks if not 4. Wheat heads are still only half full really and the barley is 3/4 maybe. Sure hope we get some nice weather for the next few weeks. Last night was downright chilly. 

Some videos on Facebook of that storm that went through north of us. Candle lake had some pretty good sized hail and waskesieu must’ve had a plow wind go through. Lots of downed trees in the one video I saw. Was posted to the sask scenery page on Facebook. You may have seen it Ralph. 

20 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I’m not ready for the white stuff just yet.   Another 90 days and it can snow again lol. 

I wish you guys wouldn't even talk about snow!!!! Sweat my +++ off today and that was just goofing off at the power show. We can get snow in October but that is rare. Since I don't have a sled anymore, I'd be ok with snow on the ground from Dec. 20-Jan.10, deer season! Other than that, not necessary.

• Like 2

Just now, DT Fan said:

I wish you guys wouldn't even talk about snow!!!! Sweat my +++ off today and that was just goofing off at the power show. We can get snow in October but that is rare. Since I don't have a sled anymore, I'd be ok with snow on the ground from Dec. 20-Jan.10, deer season! Other than that, not necessary.

How dare you say something so mean and cruel😂.  Me and my brother were both talking about snow here a few weeks back when it was pushing close if not over 100°F. I’ll take -30 over that any day lol.  Local clubs are opening up some new trails just east of me in areas that I already travel so looking forward to that as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Dude, if I lived up where you do I'd have a sled, or two! I'm REALLY not in love with hot weather but hate snow these days just a little more.

Sure makes the winters go by quicker and we can get into some places where you can’t even think about any other time of the year unless you fly in or boat in. So far the cold doesn’t bother me much. Fast forward another 20 or 30 years and that could change though. Maybe even sooner lol. 

22 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Sure makes the winters go by quicker and we can get into some places where you can’t even think about any other time of the year unless you fly in or boat in. So far the cold doesn’t bother me much. Fast forward another 20 or 30 years and that could change though. Maybe even sooner lol. 

In another 20 or 30 years you might be driving an electric snowmobile?😄

On a happier subject, crops are lookin great here. Took this shot beside my earliest wheat this evening. Some of the best wild oat control I've ever had and I only sprayed a low rate of "Simplicity" herbicide. 

IMG_4082[1].JPG

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

In another 20 or 30 years you might be driving an electric snowmobile?😄

On a happier subject, crops are lookin great here. Took this shot beside my earliest wheat this evening. Some of the best wild oat control I've ever had and I only sprayed a low rate of "Simplicity" herbicide. 

IMG_4082[1].JPG

Lol.  google taiga snowmobiles sometime. They’re building fully electric models already.  I’m actually a little intrigued by them. If they could get a 200 mile range and the same or better performance then my 4 strokes I’d definitely look at one. Currently they’re no where near that range though. With the right development I think they’d do extremely good in the mountains. Endless torque and much smoother power transmission then a 2 stroke cv set up. 

This is the first year in a very long time that we’ve had a few wild oats poking up in our wheat. Mine of course was worse but thankfully the Everest worked pretty good.  I’ve noticed some other fields that are worse too especially around the headlands this year. 

Took the drone out tonight for a little bit just to have a look around.  Canola is almost all done blooming now. Wheat is starting to turn a little. Things are on their way but definitely a ways to go yet.  One things for sure if the crops yield like moms raspberry patch we can maybe retire😂 lol.  Getting sick of picking them stupid things. Getting close to 40 ice cream pails now.  Trails in the canola show up pretty clear from above. Pretty sure there’s a couple of cows out wandering around from the community pasture on the reserve. They’ve been out all summer I think. 
4A604FFA-B50A-4160-BA50-FFF7FACD0025.thumb.jpeg.aae93ca396c8d4cfbd0e025e5faf3972.jpegA5AD5697-6825-4662-A82B-72D097E16586.thumb.jpeg.64f63f963ffdbfd18493d85d73fbb82e.jpeg

A98C5D5E-AD1A-4C2B-98AE-523D7D666FFA.png

C89FDB38-FB0C-4042-AA31-F773F6452739.png

1C896508-2B2D-40B8-BC2B-698C7748A72A.png

E8DC3E4F-04AC-4B24-A539-B0A804194C04.png

F74C7537-F856-43DB-90B5-35F0B645847B.png

7A27BBA5-6E9D-47BF-BB8F-AD8D0B822976.png

E85C97E7-68A6-4315-9BFB-8A718510D2F1.png

613B5659-51D4-44D0-87A7-57002445DAF3.png

• Like 1