2022 crop pics

Well there hasn’t been much to update here on my end. Equipment is more or less ready to go minus a few little things that still need to be done. Weather hasn’t been very cooperative. Few guys have just got going around here but there’s a tremendous amount of unseeded land yet. Not late yet but it’s starting to get there. Picked up some spray and was going to start ahead of the drill but looking like the sprayer might have to follow the drill. Not a lot for weeds coming anyways. Mostly just volunteer canola. Putting pre pass down on the cereals so don’t want to spray to far ahead of the air drill. Nice to have that residual as long as you can when the crop is coming up. We ended up with another inch plus of rain this morning. Still coming down. Believe it or not we actually had snow coming down for a little bit. Told one friend it might as well snow a foot at this point so I can go have some fun in it at least lol.  Last of our snow banks in the field finally melted a couple days ago. Can still find some in the bushes though on the steep side hills where it drifted in. 

BA48AC45-0F06-4BA7-A2D1-01E326073A32.png

F158F9DB-D524-4B7F-B406-2950B4E9FDA8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sounds pretty similar to here. Still not ready to roll equipment wise here anyway. The yard just starts to dry then it rains again. Tough to work outside. Been working in the shop and playing the waiting game with parts, so that's been eating up days too. Most of the snow is gone now but there is still some banks along the bush and on some of the sidehills yet. Calling for snow here all day tomorrow. Wouldn't be a may long with no snow! Lol. Maybe I can update with some field progress by June lol

But I guess we're sitting not too bad here. Southeast MB is flooded out and anywhere along a river around here has flooding problems. Bridges are washed out, roads washing out, and it won't stop raining. Alot of sand bagging happening not far away. I've never seen these little rivers and creeks overfill the way they have been for the past week or two. 

• Sad 1

Zero progress here unless you count the fields I anhydroused  almost two weeks ago. Those are far wetter now than they were when I started. Glad I finished that part anyway. Everything is ready to roll here except the weather. Roughly six inches of rain here for May so far and the sloughs are getting bigger instead of smaller as they normally would this time of year. Colder than normal and the leaves are very slow coming on the trees. A field nearby was seeded a couple of weeks ago and is starting to show some green. I took this drone shot over my yard yesterday evening when it wasn't raining. Close to another inch in the gauge this morning. 

DJI_0212.JPG

• Sad 1

In a world where food production is threatened we're not getting off to a very good start 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hardtail said:

In a world where food production is threatened we're not getting off to a very good start 

That’s definitely been in the back of my mind this spring. Seems like a lot of North America is behind in seeding. Not sure how you guys are making out in the central states but a lot of the northern states seem to be wet. At least Minnesota and east.  Could be our best or worst year depending on how things go. That’s kind of normal though I guess. Seems like we’re setting up for a perfect storm though. Supplies could get very tight if things start going south(and I don’t mean south to our southern friends and neighbors lol.) 

• Thanks 1

Many other areas of the world are cutting off certain products for export as we speak, list grows daily

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Zero progress here unless you count the fields I anhydroused  almost two weeks ago. Those are far wetter now than they were when I started. Glad I finished that part anyway. Everything is ready to roll here except the weather. Roughly six inches of rain here for May so far and the sloughs are getting bigger instead of smaller as they normally would this time of year. Colder than normal and the leaves are very slow coming on the trees. A field nearby was seeded a couple of weeks ago and is starting to show some green. I took this drone shot over my yard yesterday evening when it wasn't raining. Close to another inch in the gauge this morning. 

DJI_0212.JPG

This rain seems pretty general from central Sk and east anyways. Not sure how the southwest made out. Have heard it’s still dry. Kind of surprised anything is growing in a way seeing how cold it’s been.  Ground was getting white at my brother in laws south of humboldt just before noon. 

• Sad 1

Just now, hardtail said:

Many other areas of the world are cutting off certain products for export as we speak, list grows daily

China had said they’re going to start buying Canadian canola again from Vitera and Richardson’s. Ironically the fat they announced that prices dropped a dollar a bu lol.  They’ve been getting canola from us in a round about fashion all along anyways I suspect so it may not drive prices much anyways. Just making it official now and easier for them to get it as before I think it was going to Australia and then back to China as clean canola. More politics at play unfortunately. 

52 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Sounds pretty similar to here. Still not ready to roll equipment wise here anyway. The yard just starts to dry then it rains again. Tough to work outside. Been working in the shop and playing the waiting game with parts, so that's been eating up days too. Most of the snow is gone now but there is still some banks along the bush and on some of the sidehills yet. Calling for snow here all day tomorrow. Wouldn't be a may long with no snow! Lol. Maybe I can update with some field progress by June lol

But I guess we're sitting not too bad here. Southeast MB is flooded out and anywhere along a river around here has flooding problems. Bridges are washed out, roads washing out, and it won't stop raining. Alot of sand bagging happening not far away. I've never seen these little rivers and creeks overfill the way they have been for the past week or two. 

So far parts haven’t been a issue yet. Hopefully it stays that way. Everything we’ve needed has been in stock or a day away if we pay freight. Did have to drive to Saskatoon one day to pick up a stupid little u-joint of all things. The u-joint broke on the transfer auger last spring apparently and I didn’t know till I went to service it. 120$ for a little assembly. 2 small u-joints and the yokes. Special size though that I could y find anywhere.  Saying nicer weather for the weekend so hopefully they’re correct. Still a chance of rain next week though unfortunately. 

were cruising along here the finish line is insight for a lot of people including myself, some of the earliest stuff in the area is out of the ground already, my peas should be ready to pop through anytime although last night and night before got close to freezing not sure if it did or not 

ended up with 3 tenth yesterday and had a nice day off  swear the grass in the yard jumped up 3 inches so have to get on the mower sooner or later 

• Like 1

F105CB40-BFBF-4803-9C6C-62949E5AC9B0.thumb.jpeg.6f074cd229c53b04194a775ffc154208.jpeg

This is what it looks like here. Another inch of rain last night. Heard the Manitoba seeded acreage report yesterday on the radio. 4% complete compared to the 50% average. Guys are looking for barley and oats seed to change seeding plans. They’re unobtainable.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, midnightman said:

F105CB40-BFBF-4803-9C6C-62949E5AC9B0.thumb.jpeg.6f074cd229c53b04194a775ffc154208.jpeg

This is what it looks like here. Another inch of rain last night. Heard the Manitoba seeded acreage report yesterday on the radio. 4% complete compared to the 50% average. Guys are looking for barley and oats seed to change seeding plans. They’re unobtainable.

Crazy. This must be one of the latest wet springs you guys have had I imagine. 

Trying hard to snow here now again. Brother in law ended up with close to 2 inches yesterday. We missed that part. Rain is still soaking in fairly quick in the yard and field. Was driving around the field last night with the quad and as long as it wasn’t worked it’s still fairly firm. Some of the low spots are pretty squishy though and there’s water running in the runs again. Glad I didn’t fill in the v ditches yet. Helping keep some of the water away at least. 

Definitely is late.  Apparently ground was white again 15 miles north of me this morning. It’s been trying here off and on all afternoon. No leaves on the trees yet here, but at least the poplars have fuzz on them the last couple days 

Everything was white here this morning. Snowed off and on all morning. Heard the highway through the park was snow and ice covered lol. The long range forecast don't look good here either. Hopefully we can get on the fields early next week but I don't know. Heard of a few guys got going for a day or 2 on top of the valley south of here but that's it

Just now, db1486 said:

Everything was white here this morning. Snowed off and on all morning. Heard the highway through the park was snow and ice covered lol. The long range forecast don't look good here either. Hopefully we can get on the fields early next week but I don't know. Heard of a few guys got going for a day or 2 on top of the valley south of here but that's it

Actually it's been snowing all day off and on

4 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Actually it's been snowing all day off and on

Its been trying to snow on and off most of the day here too. It’s never amounted to anything though and the yard is starting to dry up again thankfully. Road is actually dusty already when the cars go by.  I’m thinking Monday might be start up day if I can get going. Still not sure where I’m even starting yet might be the furthest away from him which is mine for a change. It’s a little bit sandier so it might be a touch better then here.  Will be going around wet spots for sure though. 

Brother in law sent me a Snapchat today of some wheat he planted nearly 2 weeks ago. Not sure it’s all up yet but he had some in the pic with green shoots on it at least. Only thing greening up around our farm so far is weeds. Even the poplar trees are pretty much bare yet. 

Finally a little bit of progress. Got going about 8:00 his evening finally. Was going to go till I ran the air cart empty but didn’t quite make it. Just got back in, had a flat tire on the front of the air drill. On the home quarter so I limped it back to the house and parked it for the night. Managed to get 55 acres in at least. Not much but it’s a start. 

82BD9F7B-8DF4-427C-8B6F-9C59D6AA1EDA.jpeg

EE4A16B0-175B-4F96-8DD8-767CD557CA02.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

Lots of untouched ground, rain every other day or so, cool and cloudy too.

IMG_20220522_132609.thumb.jpg.c3b7e7edd4920d1f00ab1c3c54818a12.jpg

That’s been out issue too. Get one or two nice days where it just starts to dry up and then it rains again. We have kind of odd conditions this spring. Goes from dusty dry ontop the hills and pulling really hard as it’s so hard to sinking in mud and pulling hard because it’s to wet in the hollows.  Regardless how you look at it the versatile is working pretty hard this spring most of the time. 

We started planting today. Unfortunately it was the tractor. Good thing it was like canola and only shallow lol

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, db1486 said:

We started planting today. Unfortunately it was the tractor. Good thing it was like canola and only shallow lol

That’s never fun. Hopefully it came out east at least. So far no ones on the stuck list here yet. Dad came close this morning I think with the John Deere and the 36’ ih cultivator. Warned him that corner was a swamp but he had to try anyways lol. Chewed his way out again. Needless to say I seeded around that spot lol.  Wheat at home is done at least. Carts loaded up and ready to move in the morning if it doesn’t rain to much. Was starting to rain when I finished up and was coming down pretty good when I got in the house. 

Neighbor is the foreman at the local fire shop 30 miles away. He happened to be out on a service call this morning so he grabbed a new ride for us on his way home. Only issue was he mistakenly grabbed the wrong size. Jumped back in his suv and got the correct one. Told him I’d run him back in but he said it’s no bid deal I can slip back in. Didn’t get going till after lunch though unfortunately got us going though that’s the main thing. Ours wasn’t even round ontop any more so it was needed. Unfortunate it was one of the good ones and not the poor one that should’ve been changed. Always the way it goes it seems. 

43FB608E-8B3E-4C76-B32E-72E9446532CE.jpeg

8A63E393-1557-4644-B8E3-662EB6FB5C97.jpeg

09E5D797-B7D4-4EEB-A0E7-8407F54493CA.jpeg

3DA7E1C7-83FE-4BC7-B380-2B83D14BB44F.jpeg

BDE61725-A3F9-48AE-BDAC-AE57EA4CB43D.jpeg