How do you all decide what to plant?

I'm asking because I'm really puzzled how my BTO farm neighbor decided to plant wheat last fall. In the 15+ years this operation has been farming that land they have rotated soy beans and corn. Last fall they planted wheat. Long before Russia invaded Ukraine and there was any talk of a pending wheat shortage.  Is there some sort of information source available to big operators that isn't to the rest of us? This operator has farms all over the state, thousands and thousands of acres. All of the ground I am aware of that they plant around here is in wheat so this was a very intentional decision. 

Crystal ball ? 

Heard some plant wheat so they can have a period for the tile contractor to work the field.

Wheat would all be double cropped with soybeans following here. 

Wildly guessing.  Cost to grow corn high while wheat can be double cropped?  

I always feel like I'm missing out not growing corn.  Seed dealer says I am not.  I personally know several different  ft farmers (confinement barn income) that grow small grains and forages, no corn.

Costs less to produce wheat than other crops but there are definitely risks involved.  Before this last season the cost to produce soybeans and corn have trended upwards.  Profits get reduced starting with marginal ground.  The BTO's around here work as much marginal ground as the rest of us.  More or less what you are seeing is a signal that the farm sector is under more financial stress than the experts want to admit to.  By the way from what I have seen as of late tells me that the experts need their credentials revoked.  

• Like 1

I wanted to plant a little wheat last fall but it didn't get done. That's unfortunate for me...

The price of wheat looked attractive to me last fall. Now it's crazy.

Never rule out good luck.

We planted wheat last fall because it looked like it could make some money and it doesn’t cost near as much to produce. Wheat didn’t look like a bad deal before the invasion. At current commodity prices if your crop looks good, no matter what you planted, you’re in good shape. 

Wheat was trending up late last fall.  Some people (not me) do take it upon themselves to learn marketing, how read the markets, play with futures puts/calls, pay attention to world wide events, and pay attention to crop reports coming out of other countries to determine what to plant.  

My dad always planted couple hundred acres of wheat to help with cash flow in summer in the 70's.Bins were less prevalent, and we grew about 400 acres of corn couple hundred of beans along  with brood cows. Small farm for sure compared to you guys out west that have thousands if acres.