What hydraulic fluid for IH560 Farmall

I have an IH560 and I would like to change the hydraulic fluid.  I can't find info on which fluid to use.  Tractor sits outside most of the time here in CO (cold in the winter, but not used in the winter).  Should I use a typical ISO 32, 46, 68 hydraulic fluid?  Does this tractor share this fluid with other systems?

Thanks for the help!

Upon some further research, it looks like the hydraulic system shares fluid with the rear diff, the power steering, and the transmission.  Should I be using Case IH Trans-Hydraulic Fluid?

Yes, Hytran from Case IH is what you need.

Yessss!!!! Best thread! Somebody give the new guy a medal!

For you @mattcars , welcome! These types of questions are fun because some people get super torqued up on fluids and the debate can get real crazy and entertaining. Don't get bothered if some guys get real ornery. Some people are just too easy to tweak.

Use the good stuff, hytran.  Find a way to cover that thing up and prevent any water infiltration.  I car port, heavy tarp, anything is better then nothing in my opinion.

First post on redpower is an oil thread. Really???

Hytran is an excellent tractor hydraulic fluid but is serious overkill for your 560. A quality tractor hydraulic fluid from a major oil manufacturer will work fine (shell, chevron, cps, etc).

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Every tractor I have bought that didn’t have hytran in it has had more hydraulic and oring issues than those with hytran. My 1086 I have had since 1993 and it has always had hytran in it and has been one of the most trouble free tractors I have when it comes to hydraulic and transmission systems. Fwiw

Whatever fluid you use, (Not going there), take a chunk of inner tube or rubber roofing material and wrap it around the shift lever like a teepee, and clamp it snug with a hose clamp. This will keep rain, melting snow, etc., from running down the shifter, and into the transmission.   (worked for me)

Welcome, by the way....

Mike  

Water will go through the bolts on the transmission deck too. Get it under cover!

Viscosity owned the formula, CaseIH owned the name.

So if you are looking for the Viscosity product, it's called "Viscosity Ultraction." Though old-timer IH guys will insist on calling it Hy-tran. 

A 560 would have had the ORIGINAL Hy-Tran in it when new. Original Hy-Tran is a far cry from what Ultraction is today. Ultraction is formulated for the latest CVT/IVT, Powershift and Hydrostatic transmissions. The 560 is a boring old gear drive tractor with a gear hydraulic pump, a dry-clutch "powershift" (TA), and no real need for the fancy modern additives.

19 hours ago, supermpuller said:

560 had Hy Tran when  the were new  , why change now?

Frankly it doesn't need "modern" Hy-Tran. Any Hy-tran compatible product is perfectly suitable unless you plan on sharing implements with a modern tractor that needs premium Hy-Tran.

Is cheap "compatible" oil appropriate for ALL IH tractors? No, but it's fine in a 560. Just make sure it says "CaseIH Hy-Tran" or "MS-1209" on the bucket you buy.

• Like 1