My rant for today.

dads706

A guy told me one time that his neighbour (USA = neighbor- both are correct spellings) bought a new truck- a 10 wheeler- to pull his 48' semi trailer. "Not sure what make it was but I think it was a KENMORE".  My  reply was "I bet the motor sounded like a washing machine".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would be more interested in Eva

Eva and Eddie Albert were a good match. All the Gabor sisters were hot but she was the most likeable.

• Like 3

This is my real rant for a Friday. 

A FISHER is a 4 legged animal that lives deep in the bush/forest/woods and is valuable for its fur and thus to the trapping industry (what's left of it) in Canada. So I was amazed to read last week of 3 fishers drowning off the coast of Newfoundland when their boat capsized in stormy weather.  How these critters managed to captain a fishing vessel and end up at sea is beyond me. 

The words "Fisherman" or "Fishermen" are apparently no longer in the dictionary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, td9bcf180 said:

The words "Fisherman" or "Fishermen" are apparently no longer in the dictionary

Welcome to "woke".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, New Englander said:

Welcome to "woke".

Yes. And the "woke" are in for a rude awakening some day.

18 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Eva and Eddie Albert were a good match. All the Gabor sisters were hot but she was the most likeable.

Tsa Tsa probably had her beat in aesthetics. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, td9bcf180 said:

Yes. And the "woke" are in for a rude awakening some day.

Yet according to the ever-optimistic "Dr." Steve Turley, it is happening more and more each day.

BUT, I'll believe it when I see actual proof of it, AND I WILL rejoice in that fact.

4 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

BUT, I'll believe it when I see actual proof of it, AND I WILL rejoice in that fact.

Amen, brother.

New car wash being installed in Peoria, IL and here is an advertisement for it snipped from the net:

image.thumb.jpeg.79fff51c3520a386e22fd44461c66436.jpeg

• Haha 4

I almost forgot to mention this one:

"as well"

I counted once, and a local news guy used it seven times in about a minute.

Evidently the words "too" and "also" do not exist any more.

6 hours ago, E160BHM said:

…4 X 4 with a wench.

Always someone putting an 18,000 lb wench on their truck, whenever i have to move my SIL, i use a trailer, to each their own. 

• Haha 3

Around here there’s quite a few guys that swat their crop with their swatter before they thrash it. My personal feeling is that it would be much gentler on the crop if they would swath it and then thresh it.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Binderoid said:

Thrashing machine.

Does that mean I was getting a thrashing instead of threshing when dad was beating my azz.

• Haha 1

I don't let any of it bother me. What bothers me is people claiming that it's the younger folks today that are not learning or being taught these things. I call BS on that. I had to deal with written statements my soldiers wrote in the late 1970s through 1996. Many I had to sit over them and help them rewrite them. Many, unedited, sounded like a 3rd world language. One, written by a young SGT, described the actions of one of his soldiers. He wrote "he done good, he done real good". IIRC that was in the early 80s.

Some were poor inner city kids, some country kids and some from middle class American suburbs.

Rick

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 10:41 PM, td9bcf180 said:

A guy told me one time that his neighbour (USA = neighbor- both are correct spellings) bought a new truck- a 10 wheeler- to pull his 48' semi trailer. "Not sure what make it was but I think it was a KENMORE".  My  reply was "I bet the motor sounded like a washing machine".  

Oh no...you have  that wrong ...!!  It's   a "KENWOOD "....

...well, that s what one of  the ER Nurse's who attended  my   stupidity   said....  after putting the R Model  Mack on its roof......

However....I have the utmost admiration for those women whose lives revolve around   ''repairing''  alcohol fueled idiots like me....(actually I don't drink alcohol  ).never complaining   ...underpaid for their dedication.......and no doubt  their tools of trade  differ radically from some beat up hillbilly's tools ......  thus   I didn't even bother to 'correct'' her....

Mike

• Like 3

I see on Craigslist there are some "Red Semiangus" heifers for sale. I'm guessing they are Simiangus cross heifers, but who knows.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:41 AM, td9bcf180 said:

He didn't buy a lorry? Lol. That's the problem with threads like this. Everyone gets shell shocked and anxious about their own spelling and grammar!

When I read the English/Canadian/Australian/new Zealandian (idk) spelling of neighbour, harbour, etc., I always say it like neighboor or harboor in my head, as in "cool" or "soothe". Then I chuckle to myself.

Easily amused is the way to be. It's a happy life.

😆

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, dads706 said:

I see on Craigslist there are some "Red Semiangus" heifers for sale. I'm guessing they are Simiangus cross heifers, but who knows.

Sired by

FREIGHTLINER

29AN1645

MILL BRAE FREIGHTLINER 2096

AAA 14201376

🤔

Better guess would be I am giving them too much credit😄

On 5/20/2022 at 10:24 PM, JoeNEIllinois said:

My peeve today is my co-worker who calls every one "bro".

Just today he was introduced to a VP of our company, and he said "What to do you do for the company bro?"

This is related to one of my biggest pet peeves. People who call every single assemblage of people, whether it's sports teams fans, operators of a particular brand of farm equipment, coworkers, fellow union members or whatever, "family", "brothers"/"sisters", or "nation".

I'm a firefighter and it's like nails on a chalkboard to hear people refer to it as a brotherhood, or to me as their brother. With the amount of smack talk, gossip and backbiting in the fire service (it's in all of them), I never want siblings like them. I've said "I have two siblings in this world, and that includes none of you".

And then there's "nation". It kinda made sense in the context of sports fan diaspora, (e.g. "Steelers Nation" or whatever), in that those fanbases truly have fans all over the actual nation. Still stupid, but I realized it really jumped the shark when I was at my local high school and saw a poster advertising the school's sale of "Tigers Nation" shirts. Really? A whole nation of compatriots for this crappy town's crappy sports teams? If my eyes could roll any farther, they'd do a lap. No thanks. I'll stick with American. 

I have siblings and I'm a citizen of a nation. Learn to use actual words, already crafted for application in that actual context!

Honorable mentions:

The newly ubiquitous "_____ Strong".

And a one-off that's equally idiotic "Bills Mafia".

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:18 AM, Binderoid said:

Thrashing machine.

I am not certain, but I think they were really called thrashing machines at one point. I think I also got annoyed when I read this, and went and looked it up. Been a while though and I'm not confident in that. Too lazy to go looking again. Hoping someone here sets me straight. Odds are good!