My rant for today.

dads706

15 hours ago, New Englander said:

Give me a break, not a brake, brakes stop the car, a break is a momentary stop in the action as in coffee break.  You're is a contraction of you are; you're going to work. Your is possessive; your car. Their belongs to them; their car. They're is a contraction of they are; they're going to church. There is over there. Where is it? It's over there by the barn. Hydrolics drives me nuts! It's hydraulics for goodness sake!

I could go on and on but, oh well, just because someone doesn't know how to spell and is grammar challenged doesn't mean they're not a good person. It's just tough to read for someone who had it hammered into his brain.

I problem starter is always the difference between a Motor and an Engine.

• Like 1

My "rant of the day" would be a completely NEW list of what pizzes me off, each and every day.

STUPIDITY abounds, AND is infinite.

Read the headlines and 'news' articles, and you will see lots of errors in the usage of the English language, by the "highly trained professionals", who DO NOT hesitate to tell the unwashed, that their degree in 'journalism' has made them "EXPERTS ON EVERYTHING"

Even "Bob' in India, at the 'help desk' has a better command of the English language, than do MOST 'reporters' and 'journalists'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One of my pet peeves is after someone makes a statement they add on "just sayin'" or 'know what l mean". Another thing that irritates me is the terms "derecho" and "haboob". Up till about 10 years nobody ever heard of either one. lt was just plain 'ol high winds or sandstorm.

• Like 1

Another one that irritates me is when people type emails or letters and use text shorthand such as u for you and ur for your.  I won't even get started on the abbreviations that get used. Using the word hack in place of helpful tip is another that annoys me.

• Like 5

Another thing that leads to the absolute HATE that I have for the MEDIA, is their constant use of the words "could", "may", or "might', or some other NON-definitive term, that allows themselves an out, when their speculation, aka, GUESSING, does NOT come to pass.

"News" is supposed to be FACT, not some 'reporters' opinion, they do a good enough job by using "anonymous sources" to insert their far **** opinion into the 'story' as it is.

Again, 'journalism' is tied at the top of my list for bottom of the barrel 'professions', BUT it remains in second place for those who seek to eliminate OUR Freedom, by destroying the Constitution, and the RIGHTS that are contained within. (Specifically, those in the Bill of Rights).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nc1112 said:

Using the word hack in place of helpful tip is another that annoys me.

My latest and greatest pet peeve right there. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, nc1112 said:

Another one that irritates me is when people type emails or letters and use text shorthand such as u for you and ur for your.  I won't even get started on the abbreviations that get used. Using the word hack in place of helpful tip is another that annoys me.

Yes!! And another one is the symbol #. lt used to mean pound sign. Now for whatever reason it means hash tag.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Yes!! And another one is the symbol #. lt used to mean pound sign. Now for whatever reason it means hash tag.

When the #metoo movement was a thing a while back about sexual harassment, somebody told me their brain always reads it as "pound me too"

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

My "rant of the day" would be a completely NEW list of what pizzes me off, each and every day.

This is suprising, you seem so positive and upbeat on here.😉

• Haha 5

ANY mention of sports 'news' that appears on the front page, or in the 'news' segment of ANY programming. (Yet this, and entertainment 'news' appears on the two websites that I have chosen to get my information from) 

BTW, it used to pizz me off to no end when Rush would go off on a tangent and talk about sports.

What a waste of ink, or electrons.  (However, I would make an exception for those sports 'heroes' who are arrested, indicted, and convicted for their CRIMINAL activities.)

• Like 1

There, They're, Their. I have a friend who texts me on a regular basis and I often have to go back and read the message several times to figure out what he is trying to say! One message contained all three of those words and each one was in the wrong spot!!

The local "rant and rave" FB pages are the worst for broken sentences in the headlines. "need number for Subway". "Anyone got firewood" (yes, lacking the question mark).

• Like 1

I can honestly say my grammer/spelling is not the best.  Some is my schooling, some is probably me and rest is in today's society with phones in computers making the same correction for me overe and over again, it takes me forever to "relearn" from these simple mistakes when you have a devise always making the corrections for you.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 460 said:

I can honestly say my grammer/spelling is not the best.  Some is my schooling, some is probably me and rest is in today's society with phones in computers making the same correction for me overe and over again, it takes me forever to "relearn" from these simple mistakes when you have a devise always making the corrections for you.

Surprised that your "device" didn't auto correct "devise" for you.

You know, "devise" is the clamp thing on daworkbench. 

Or is it??

• Haha 6

One of my favorites - ‘needs restored’.

Then there is ‘payed’ instead of ‘paid’. 

And speaking of restored there are those that think converting a Farmall M to 12 volts, putting an alternator on it and adding electronic ignition is part of the  ‘restoration’ process….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

"could", "may", or "might', or some other NON-definitive term,

Years ago when I was doing work for some defense contractors I somehow got shipped off to DC to listen to a bunch of Georgetown lawyers explain why I should always use terms like "could" or "can" and NEVER use terms like "would" or "will". The session had absolutely nothing to do with what I was doing, but it was interesting and gave some insight into legal speak. I still think about that sometimes when dealing with legal stuff.

20 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

My favorite is when they say that an item is "for sell".

There have been things for sale that I was pretty interested in but I never contacted about because the ad was so poorly written that I knew the seller was going to be an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Yep. A badly written add is one that I just ignore.

Also one with poorly taken photos that only show a dark blob

A phrase that I cannot abide is

"In this day and age!"

I mean it just drives me @£&#×$€ crazy 😡😡🤬😠🤬

Oh and quotes should be put inside quotation marks. Correctly punctuated

16 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

When the #metoo movement was a thing a while back about sexual harassment, somebody told me their brain always reads it as "pound me too"

I would guess when it got folks a movie contract or a new job, it meant that to them too. All of a sudden, after success, they say "I am outraged that Mr. Badguy wanted to have xxx at 2am, after drinking and drugging all night, when I came up to his apartment! Shocked! Shocked I say!!"

16 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

BTW, it used to pizz me off to no end when Rush would go off on a tangent and talk about sports.

Aha! So you’re the “ stick to the issues crowd “ he was always talking about! 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

Anyone else double-checking their sentence structure for this particular topic?

The internet has induced some sloppiness on my part.  That and being in a hurry sometimes.  I would imagine that the internet has made others sloppy as well.

• Like 1

Farm Show magazine is also full of comments in its "Best and Worst" pages (which is fun to read), which say things like:

"My 1876 Hoyt-Clagwell tractor, which I use everyday on my 100 square foot garden, serves my purposes well, BUT, it would be a much better machine, if only it had rubber tires, electric lights and starter, a cushioned seat, and air conditioned cab."

OR,

"I am disappointed that the tube of "Flex-Seal" did NOT last as long as I thought it would, as it ran out before I had finished sealing my screen door, causing me to have to run to the store, and buy another tube.  It also gunked up my applicator.

OR,

I bought a used (name something) from what I thought was a reputable dealer, only to discover that it constantly breaks down, and the dealer refuses to help me out, saying that the (name something) was bought "as is".

(Maybe that is WHY it was traded in), hmmmmm?

Farm Show magazine IS the print equivalent of yt.com

• Like 3
  • Haha 1