My rant for today.

dads706

To the Craigslist sellers.......... It's a corn stalk not a stock. And it's a hay bale not a bail. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• dads706 changed the title to My rant for today.
1 hour ago, dads706 said:

To the Craigslist sellers.......... It's a corn stalk not a stock. And it's a hay bale not a bail. 

How about hay rolls? 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dads706 said:

In the same vein, it IS an Allis Chalmers, NOT an Alice Chambers, or Aloose Chammers, and it IS a John Deere, NOT a "popping johnnie", or a "johnny popper", all coming from those who had NEVER spent ANY seat time in one doing real work, but only bought into that, because that was the fad at the time, or listens to s**t like "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy". (BUT, I DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT, listen to that kind of Brooks and Dung 'music' (and I use that term loosely) anyways.

These ARE the kind of people who kcuf up EVERYTHING they touch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Give me a break, not a brake, brakes stop the car, a break is a momentary stop in the action as in coffee break.  You're is a contraction of you are; you're going to work. Your is possessive; your car. Their belongs to them; their car. They're is a contraction of they are; they're going to church. There is over there. Where is it? It's over there by the barn. Hydrolics drives me nuts! It's hydraulics for goodness sake!

I could go on and on but, oh well, just because someone doesn't know how to spell and is grammar challenged doesn't mean they're not a good person. It's just tough to read for someone who had it hammered into his brain.

• Like 3

Guy at work sent an email out to a lot of people to discuss the waist and vent repair he was working on.  Then continued for a week to update a large list on th e progress he was making with the waist and vent piping for the camp.

yeah. I need to quite asking if they can get any worse. They appear to consider that a challenge 

• Like 1

I agree with all of the above. Sadly it's a sign of the times.Schools do not teach sentence structure, grammar etc. at the same level or put as much importance on proper english,word usage.Heck even the teachers now can't diagram a sentence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's one of my bugaboos. If I can't spell a word I'll look it up. Like yesterday I had a hard time finding the word prophecy, I looked for it as proffecie and others and finally had to ask the computer !

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

I agree with all of the above. Sadly it's a sign of the times.Schools do not teach sentence structure, grammar etc. at the same level or put as much importance on proper english,word usage.Heck even the teachers now can't diagram a sentence.

Interestingly I cannot remember all the rules but can generally instinctively apply them.

My sister, the retired English teacher, tells a funny story of how she got the bused-in kids to say ask instead of axe. She'd point to her butt and say assk. Every time after when one would axe a question she'd point to her butt and they'd say ask. By the end of the term they would all remember to ask questions. I suspect that, at least, stuck with those students.

My sister said it was a real challenge to correct their language when they heard nothing but what one could call colloquial speak since birth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I wants to sell my cadillac convertor that came off my cummings diesel.

Now that is a good one (wants)

One more:

Using the wrong tense: I seen it coming rather than I saw it coming.

Seen should be used in the pluperfect tense as in had seen - she had seen the train coming so had stepped out of the way.

Past tense: She saw it coming so stepped out of the way.

She would never say I seen it coming 😁

10 hours ago, Howard_P said:

"Thanks for excepting me to this group"

"My father recently past"

"photo's" is not a plural

And the list goes on.

You are defiantly rite.

• Thanks 1

My favorite is when they say that an item is "for sell".

There have been things for sale that I was pretty interested in but I never contacted about because the ad was so poorly written that I knew the seller was going to be an absolute nightmare to deal with.

• Like 1

Popular one around here is a tire "thread" and a bolt "tread". And it's definitely not the younger generation lol. There's actually a whole other set of words and terms around here but 99% of that is a Ukrainian accent thing. It's definitely easier to except, I mean accept, it than change it 😂

I used to see 40 series Deere corn heads for sale all the time. The early ones were called “High Tin” and the later ones called “Low Tin” referring to the difference in the sheet metal. I used to see them advertised as “High 10” and “Low 10”. That really used to make me laugh. 

• Haha 1