price increase tires!

pt756

was just  local tire shop, old firestones on 1066 are cracking in the sidewalls, did temporary fix, 18.4 by 38 BKT 1200, firestone 1600 and he said firestone is going to have a 29% cost increase 3 quarter, wonder where the end is?

• Sad 4

We try to buy a set a year. Didn’t buy any last year, as prices seemed silly. Obviously they are even higher this year, but I’ll admit I don’t know….is that $1600 Each, or for a pair? $800 each  seems cheap, 1600 seems insane, but more likely.  A quick Google makes it look like it could go either way, but the places with them listed for $800 say out of stock 

Just bought 4 fronts (16r30) and 8 rears (18r46) for the Magnums in Firestone. Was just shy of 20k for all .... 

• Sad 1

Girl I worked with in Purchasing about 20 years ago said the rubber in tires uses a lot of petroleum oil in it, and pretty well follows the crude oil price. And since Oil has ONLY gone up in price since this current President has been in office, both oil AND tire prices have only gone up.  I can't think of the last time tire prices went down.

My '51 M is sitting, leaning on a flat right rear tire, been flat for over 6 months, going to put a pair of new 14.9x38 MITAS 23 DEGREE tires that look exactly like Firestone ALL Traction Field & Roads except for the sidewalls.  I keep putting off getting them hoping the price might drop even a tiny bit. I wonder if a brand new Lithium battery powered FARMALL M comes on brand new tires?   I got lots more I'd like to say but the Moderator would POOF my post.

• Like 10

Steel wheels could be the answer.  My equipment repairman brother says the land-flll compacter is not that bad after the initial shock wears off.

• Haha 1

Tire prices are nuts.  Crude price is only part of the problem.  Availability is big part of it.  I don’t think I can’t even get Firestones around here.  Ordered a BKT 520/85R42 157A8/B yesterday, coop wasn’t even sure they could get one.  Independent tire shop must have had a line on them and could get me one.  Gonna cost around $1,900.  Not 2 years ago the same tire was $1,200 or a little less.  

Been tire shopping here too. Was told yesterday Firestone isn't making any tractor tires till 4th quarter. There is new tires around, just not much selection and higher priced. We were going to put all new on one tractor last year but was none available what we wanted. Now they're available but 400 bucks a tire more. Oh well, the tractors not much good with no tires

• Sad 1

Bought all new tires for my 5250 back in October 2019 (pic). The rears were $3200 dismounted and mounted in Alberta Canada. Bought all new tires for the dually early last year. Haven’t mounted the rears yet but did pay up front for the service. 9874706E-4956-468F-ABC5-F09C6FA405BC.thumb.jpeg.1c5ce49a96571b2fa421064a15a8ff05.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sresites said:

Bought all new tires for my 5250 back in October 2019 (pic). The rears were $3200 dismounted and mounted in Alberta Canada. Bought all new tires for the dually early last year. Haven’t mounted the rears yet but did pay up front for the service. 9874706E-4956-468F-ABC5-F09C6FA405BC.thumb.jpeg.1c5ce49a96571b2fa421064a15a8ff05.jpeg

Alberta Canada you say 🤔 I thought you had motorcycle pics in CA and lived down there?

Yesterday had a bolt in a darn near new steer tire on a truck. Bridgestone 250, 11R 22.5 $986.00 with the service call. Took less than 20 min.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, oleman said:

Steel wheels could be the answer.  My equipment repairman brother says the land-flll compacter is not that bad after the initial shock wears off.

Problem is steel wheels cost as much as a set of new tires or a lot more for the versions that they are cutting the sidewall off a brand new tire and layering that around the outside of the steel framework.

2 minutes ago, acem said:

What do 30.5x32 rice and cane firestone tires cost?

we bought 2 18.4 26 firestone rice and cane on a sale in almost new condition for 400 for the pair last fall for back of our 1460.  guys made fun of my dad for bidding on them, why would we want those rice tires???

There was a set of 30.5 32 Rice and cane there that brought 1200 for the set.  They were nice, but we didnt need those as ours still almost look like new,  

5 hours ago, hardtail said:

Alberta Canada you say 🤔 I thought you had motorcycle pics in CA and lived down there?

It was a great week for a drive through the country.

8F557CF4-FE84-4A63-AB53-6E92936668F4.jpeg

• Like 1

If anyone here buys Firestone ag tires, buy them early!!!! They need more cure time!!! We put a set on our 7250 3-4 years ago, they look like they have 5000 hours on them from stubble damage!! Was told Firestone doesn’t cure their tires as long as they use to any more!! So we are buying at least a year in advance, and every sunny day, they sit outside, and sun bathe!!! Just ordered 4, 620-70-42’s for our Steiger 385, those are getting the same treatment!! 
I have no idea how other manufacturers are on their tires, but Firestones definitely need more cure time!! 

40 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Was told Firestone doesn’t cure their tires as long as they use to any more!!

They are cutting corners trying to keep up with demand.

If folks would stop "stocking up" in anticipation of a "shortage" there wouldn't be a "shortage." As it is folks buy up every tire the moment they become available whether they need them or not, because "shortage." Unfortunately if you don't buy them the next guy will, and they won't be there when you need them. Dog eat dog, a sad state of affairs.

Worked at Firestone for a couple years in powerhouse. I was thinking cure time referred to the amount of time in the mold under steam pressure or very hot water pressure. Like 265ish ° and 230 or so psi. I may have those figures backwards. Been 12 years.

I got a single K9 brand of tire 13.6 X 28 10 ply made in Korea a couple of years ago for $460. on the tractor. Amazing it still holds air and no weather cracks. With this experience I would have little reservation on getting a mate for it.

7 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Was told Firestone doesn’t cure their tires as long as they use to any more!!

Can anyone say "planned obsolescence"?

Knowing the fact that the 'bean counters' control every decision.

And I hate to say that about Firestone/Bridgestone.

I just got a set of "Road Crew" fronts for the little 440 JD loader. They were about 210 bucks with tubes. I wouldn't chance crap grade tires on the rear but figured I'd try out a set on the front. Made in Turkey. Hopefully not made out of turkey.

On 5/17/2022 at 12:50 PM, bitty said:

Just bought 4 fronts (16r30) and 8 rears (18r46) for the Magnums in Firestone. Was just shy of 20k for all .... 

IMG_20220519_084300494.jpg

I just ordered a couple of fronts from simple tire: 9.5L 15 Harvest King. $140. Each. Any other brand was at least $50 each more. Tires on that machine are probably original; 40 years old! Harvest Kings won’t make it that long but probably will outlast me😄