OVERHAULING A 756?

also we once had a 826, started leaking water, so we sold it in that condition for salvage price, the thing i dont like about the german diesels is the one o-ring compared to 3 on the american motors,

15 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

That was my other reason for going.  Were they nice straight, solid fenders?

Beautiful,  just a couple small holes drilled the lip on the very back. I wanted them because I'm guessing very few people knew they were 1966 only fenders.

23 hours ago, pt756 said:

i am aware of the 358 in the 886, also what is the actual difference between the truck motor and the tractor motor? this truck motor does have a turbo on which if we go that route i probably wont use, and will the 360 fit underneath the fuel tank? thanks

Don't know the exact differences myself. Just been told "they're different internally." Never really had the incentive to look into it.

We didn't use the turbo from the truck motor. Reason being, they never put a DT360 in a tractor so there is no turbo manifold. You'd have to make up something custom or have the turbo hanging out the side of the tractor like some half-arsed Cummins conversion. Runs fine with the inline pump and no turbo.

Does it fit under the tank? Yes. I don't recall having to do anything special with the tank except that we lost the fuel level sender because the mechanic that put it in needed the hole for the fuel return.

22 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Beautiful,  just a couple small holes drilled the lip on the very back. I wanted them because I'm guessing very few people knew they were 1966 only fenders.

As far as I’m concerned, at $1050 was still a good buy if they were that nice!! 

try calling Rabas Implement they probably have a 310. Was in a 756 last time I was there and they have a lot of salvage tractors. They are 20 miles east of Green Bay phone number is 920863 6421. Hope they can help you.

try calling Rabas Implement they probably have a 310. Was in a 756 last time I was there and they have a lot of salvage tractors. They are 20 miles east of Green Bay phone number is 920863 6421. Hope they can help you.

also we once had a 826, started leaking water, so we sold it in that condition for salvage price, the thing i dont like about the german diesels is the one o-ring compared to 3 on the american motors,

guy that is doing the work has all the manifolds and as i understand there isnt much room for turbo

Bore and stroke are different on the truck 360 if I remember right. The Ag 360 has longer stroke from what I remember. 

312 or 360 will fit under the fuel tank. It gets a little tight but fits. 

Not much room under the hood for a turbo, but an M and W will fit, if you can find one. 

I put a 312 in mine when it got water in the oil (I bought it that way) but also rebuilt the 312 before it went in because it had sat too long and got tight. Then it was the best starting tractor I was ever around. I wouldn't mind having it back.

20180428_125834.thumb.jpg.ec80885cee44918613fb820faad8b5dd.jpg

20201107_085130.thumb.jpg.f6afd8bfb15f5f13ac795d0916481827.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pt756 said:

guy that is doing the actual work has said he has all the manifolds and i was told there is no room for the turbo,

What manifold does he think will work to put the turbo on a tractor without having it stick out the side?

I agree on the space issue. The 856-1456 hood is taller so there's room for a turbo. It's pretty tight under the 756 hood.

i might of been mis understood about turbo, we are not planning on using it if we go this route, i think he mentioned that he has the exhaust manifold if needed , problem here is that i know very little about doing a conversion and i appreciate any input from the posters, thanks

• Like 1

hello, so now the motor is completely apart, crankshaft doesnt look bad, question about camshaft, i always understood they have to be line bored, if the camshaft appears to okay the what needs to be done to it?

Several aftermarket company's have addressed this with a "finished" set of cam bearings. Like any engine build, cam bearings are the first thing to install then "fit" cam, re-clean everything again an assemble engine. 

I have been using the finished cam bearings and so far it has worked good for us. 

Look up Dufour's Tractor Parts in Nashville NC. He Has/had a 312 in a hydro 70 that had just been rebuilt and then the hydro went out and the farmer got disgusted and sold it to him for salvage.

hello again, how can you tell if this 310 motor could be a 358? was looking up in parts it appears they both have the same block? also this 756 pulls almost like our 856, not quite but was a lot better than the 756 and the 826 we once had, thanks

46 minutes ago, pt756 said:

hello again, how can you tell if this 310 motor could be a 358? was looking up in parts it appears they both have the same block? also this 756 pulls almost like our 856, not quite but was a lot better than the 756 and the 826 we once had, thanks

Engine is stamped with size and engine serial number. 756= 310. 826=358.

Both are smaller than the 407 in the 856.  Was your 826 a hydro?  That robs horsepower.  

thanks will look tommorrow, the only reaso i asking is that i was getting a hydrauic hose made and the repair guy looked it up and unless he made a mistake his parts book showed the same block, i did look it up on tractor data and the strokes are different,

i have read a lot of posts about overhaul kits, which are the good ones, so far i have heard reliance, red power, absolute that is the best! and checking around a bit , i was always told the german diesel was more expensive, priced out a german kit and a 360 kit, the 360 kit was a couple of hundred more, thanks

There's a couple of 310's around here in some 782 cotton pickers. I'll be glad to check on some if you wish.

Fair warning about cotton picker motors. The front cover is different and must be changed. Been there and done that.

The factory kits for the German engines came from Germany and were expensive. Now everything is imported from other countries. 

Thx-Ace 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:27 AM, pt756 said:

i have read a lot of posts about overhaul kits, which are the good ones, so far i have heard reliance, red power, absolute that is the best! and checking around a bit , i was always told the german diesel was more expensive, priced out a german kit and a 360 kit, the 360 kit was a couple of hundred more, thanks

They're the best because they're your only choices these days. Demand for engine kits has dropped off as time goes on. Most engines that need rebuilding have been rebuilt. They don't get used enough to wear them out again for the most part. Just not that many being overhauled like in the 80s and 90s.

Depending on the day of the week or the phase of the moon or what people had for breakfast, reliance kits are either flawless or the devil's spawn.

• Thanks 1