planting speed

3rd direct on the 656, just over 5mph with 800 Early Riser.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

3rd direct on the 656, just over 5mph with 800 Early Riser.

If I recall, we pulled a JD 7000, with a 656 gas, 15.5 x38  in 3rd TA ahead, rpm’s were right close to the 540pto spot on the tach. Usually pulled the TA back if going over a rocky patch, or turning around at the end of the row.

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

Rocks are no friend of a Cyclo planter and around here they are quite hard to avoid.  With a JD MaxEmerge I can run 4-4.5 MPH in most fields.

You got that right. We run a six row 900 behind a 1086. We reinforced the rows a couple years ago because a couple actually got bent slightly from rocks getting jammed in between. Constantly checking behind you for drag marks in the bad areas. 4-4.5 mph in 3low in bad spots 4low in better areas

2 hours ago, Lars (midessa) said:

If I recall, we pulled a JD 7000, with a 656 gas, 15.5 x38  in 3rd TA ahead, rpm’s were right close to the 540pto spot on the tach. Usually pulled the TA back if going over a rocky patch, or turning around at the end of the row.

Same here but only have one little rocky spot....other than that it's all just IL black dirt.   Usually run it wide open, pull the stick on the headlands......really nice speed combo for turning and planting.   You can get in a really good rhythm and if you're careful never overplant more that one row without slowing way down or stopping. 

This is going back 35 years when I was a farm employee, planting corn was never started before May 15th regardless of the year/weather. Depending on the weather, the goal was to be completed in early June. 700+/- acres with a 4 row planter w/dry fert., livestock chores, breakdowns, etc., we were busy.

Planted sweet corn and indian corn with the #44 4 row and bm in first at quarter throttle this morning. This afternoon back on the 6788 and 16 row cyclo in 6 th gear at pto speed. Tractor says 5.8 mph, planter monitor says 5.😕

9 hours ago, Rusty_Farmer said:

Planted sweet corn and indian corn with the #44 4 row and bm in first at quarter throttle this morning. This afternoon back on the 6788 and 16 row cyclo in 6 th gear at pto speed. Tractor says 5.8 mph, planter monitor says 5.😕

Tire slip?

I paid a little attention to the tach/speedo on the ten Friday while planting beans. According to this precision device, was running around 4 mph most of the time. If I can remember this next year, going to shift up to L-4 and throttle down, probably save some fuel.

On 5/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, DT Fan said:

Tire slip?

no not tire slip. Replaced the distance wheel magnets and the monitor won't read the speed correct.Recalibrated a few times and this is as close as it comes. The "old" monitor is slowing down in it's old age😁