planting speed

I use a 955 12row vertical fold mounted planter, and I pull it with a mx210.  How fast do you guys typically plant?  I have been pulling it at 4.3mph, if I go a gear faster I am at 4.8-4.9.  Just seeing how fast everyone else is going.

In my opinion when it comes to accuracy speed kills, i try to stay under 5 MPH but we mostly notill. Now if the clouds start coming in and i am trying to finish a field then speed may vary.

• Like 1

I run the 12 row 800 cyclo with my 1066 in low third about 2000 RPM. Guessing about 3.5 MPH. That seems to work pretty good. That is beans only. Corn I run a little faster, 4-4.5 MPH with old Kinze 4-row.

We run about 5.5. Most modern vacuum planters are capable of really good accuracy at speeds much faster than that. I have seen many people here plant at 7.5+mph. In my opinion it’s just too hard on the equipment in this terrain to go that fast. It’s often comical to look around the dealer shop to see what carnage has happened during planting season. Row units ripped completely off or mangled, bent frames, etc. They sure cover the acres though. 

After this discussion my nephew showed me a video of a newer green planter, pulled by a quadtrac, planting at 15 MPH. I don't care what anyone says, there is NO planter, no matter what color, that can be accurate at that speed.

In contrast, when I used to work planting research plots, we planted some corn as slow as 0.6mph for the correct spacing and drop. Nothing higher than 2.6mph with what we used. That has no bearing on the OP’s question but...

I go 10th gear on the Magnums, 1700ish rpm , 6-6 1/2 mph with the 955 Cyclo air , no-till 

I had have an acquaintance who is/was a Deere tech.  Said once that the ideal for Deere finger pickup planters (like the 7000) was not a certain ground speed but rather 100 rpm of the finger pickup.  

• Like 1

Meant to add earlier but was in a hurry to get to the farm. My seed-dealer went from a 24 row white, (I think) to a 16 row Kinze with all precision planting components. He wanted everything on 40' centers. Claims he plants at 9.2 MPH because that is as fast as the tractor will go! It records all the data, knows if there is a skip or a double. He really does his research, told me about the work he went to in 2020 only to have the wind ruin it all, that would have been maddening on a large scale.

I know the book bases population numbers off of 4.5 mph so was wondering if population changed or skips changed much with increased speed.  15mph is crazy my fields aren't smooth enough to drive that fast across let alone plant at that speed

2 hours ago, maxxum 140 said:

I know the book bases population numbers off of 4.5 mph so was wondering if population changed or skips changed much with increased speed.  15mph is crazy my fields aren't smooth enough to drive that fast across let alone plant at that speed

I will joke that at higher speeds on our Cyclo the centrifugal force holds the seeds in the drum .... 😁 

We plant with a 1200 pivot 12 also and I don't notice much difference between the two in accuracy. 

Previously we hired a 1200 pivot 12/23 to plant corn alongside our Cyclo . Guy crawled along as a matter of fact forum member @taylor1566 nicknamed him the turtle 🐢. Our Cyclo had a more even stand than his 1200 

We have ran a  400, 800 1200 and 1220. The 400 row units were too light and holding depth in sand was a problem. The 800 was very good on depth and while the spacing wasn't perfect, there weren't doubles or skips but not perfect spacing. We updated to the 1220 and while the spacing is picket fence, the yields didn't really improve. Both had great depth control. With the 800 we planted around 4 mph, with the 1220 we planted 5 mph.  

The 1200 is a toolbar planter 11 row 20" for soybeans and drybeans. We have planted 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 mph side by side by side. We found no difference in spacing, emergence or yield. We usually run that between 5 and 6 depending on conditions.

Pulling this setup at 4.7-4.8, and according to the monitor, dropping the exact amount I want. Also did a visual check ( lots of digging) and shows  good spacing.

IMG_20220516_210625198_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, IHandJDman said:

John Deere 7000, 4.5 to 5 mph.

I thought I read once that with the finger meters too slow will cause the seed to bounce back into the meter.

23 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I thought I read once that with the finger meters too slow will cause the seed to bounce back into the meter.

They used to say that if you were planting a very low population you were supposed to remove every other finger to maintain RPM. They don’t work (as well) if they spin too slow. 

• Like 1

I usually plant corn and beans both right at 5mph with my 1200 - if it's rough I might drop down to 4-4.5. This year I planted a little 4 acre field that was smooth at 7.5 as a test. It should be up in a day or two so I'll be able to see what kind of job it did. From what I dug it looked alright. 

• Like 1

Know a guy that got a new high speed CIH last year. It has all the down pressure bells and whistles. He runs 11 mph and has a 100% perfect stand. The cost of the planter was almost unbelievable. 

Jerry 

With the Super A pulling the two row IH corn planter, I manage 2nd gear at just above idle, or first kinda running 1/2 throttle.

I love making you real farmers laugh at my operation.

• Like 2