No Red Power for me

Frank H

Hi guys, I was looking to attend Red Power this year and try to meet folks from here but my wife and I decided to pull the plug on any longer trips due to the crazy gas prices.  Oh well, hopefully in the future. Maybe I can rent out the motorhome, because it seems to not be getting used this year. Thanks Joe, you did that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I’m in the same boat. I had been planning a return home to southeast MI to visit some friends and hit RPRU and the USAF Museum. 

Wifey had recently tried to get us set up with airline reservations and a rental car. But the airline ticket prices are ludicrous, and, on top of that, we could not secure a rental car. Absolutely ridiculous. 

So, I thought about just driving  from TX up to MI. Tried to calculate what gasoline would cost, and it came out to be a ludicrous amount. I’d have to drive my ‘06 Toyota Tundra, which is approx. 17 / 18 MPG. Not the greatest MPG. And who’s to say gas won’t be even higher come June? 

I am absolutely disgusted the way this country is operating. They are going to break the middle class. There will be no middle class if this crap keeps up. There will be the “haves”, and “have nots”. This over-priced BS on everything, and shortages of this and that, is going up be unsustainable. Something has to change.

So, RPRU and AF Museum for this year is out. We are going to conserve and stay close to home down here in TX. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

They are going to break the middle class. There will be no middle class if this crap keeps up. There will be the “haves”, and “have nots”.

I suspect that might be exactly the plan. If it is don't look for much change.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was maybe going to come out but I’m with you guys on the fuel prices 😳 My semi holds 250 gallons of fuel , times 5.26 last Friday 🤬🤬🤬 If you thinks it’s bad now you just wait , just watched on the news last Friday that the east cost will get shut down first for fuel , this was per Pilot and Loves truck stops oh and it will be 10.00 per gallon . The sad part is all of us thinks it’s bad now you wait 🤬🤬

Danny

• Sad 2

Still undecided here, was going to take a couple tractors out but with gas prices and 10-12mpg it adds up quickly. Will see what June brings I guess. 

• Sad 1

We have foregone purchasing most anything new with exception of necessities of life. However, we have always gone without much of what many consider "essential" so no change there. My truck gets about 10mpg, but even at the elevated fuel prices of late that is a lot of gasoline to offset the cost of a much newer truck which may, or may not be as reliable on top of the added insurance cost(s). With all factored in I still believe it less expensive to drive an older "gas hog" than a much newer vehicle with better fuel economy; as long as it's reliable. 

I agree the middle class is being targeted and destroyed.

I believe the middle class is being destroyed by incompetence. People that have a lot of power never seem to be able to answer “Then what?”. They want to ban internal combustion, but they have no answer for “Then what?” They are attempting to mandate things that don’t yet exist on the promise that they will eventually if we spend enough money. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I believe the middle class is being destroyed by incompetence. People that have a lot of power never seem to be able to answer “Then what?”. They want to ban internal combustion, but they have no answer for “Then what?” They are attempting to mandate things that don’t yet exist on the promise that they will eventually if we spend enough money. 

All about power and control, just had father to the hospital,the kool aide guzzling NAZI S !!!!!!! start at the door.

apply ^%^&%&(*&*(&(_*_&+()*)(&%$# useless mask, set in waiting for 6 hrs, ,drs had to keep checking why the alarms were going.........DAH !!!!! not enough o2,    but the ^&%$^^^^#** nazi rn kept SCREAMING  !!!!   &%$*^&%(^&%( !!!!!! submission on.for peasants!!!!

Went around the corner and off for the ELITES   HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! every 10 minutes.

I would fire those 10% ers with EXTREME dishonor ,and get the good ones back !!!!!

except for more rif raf cops than staff would have told them to ko,   15 ppl in er when we entered,40 when we left 90% PO

3 hours ago, Rick G. said:

I’m in the same boat. I had been planning a return home to southeast MI to visit some friends and hit RPRU and the USAF Museum. 

Wifey had recently tried to get us set up with airline reservations and a rental car. But the airline ticket prices are ludicrous, and, on top of that, we could not secure a rental car. Absolutely ridiculous. 

So, I thought about just driving  from TX up to MI. Tried to calculate what gasoline would cost, and it came out to be a ludicrous amount. I’d have to drive my ‘06 Toyota Tundra, which is approx. 17 / 18 MPG. Not the greatest MPG. And who’s to say gas won’t be even higher come June? 

I am absolutely disgusted the way this country is operating. They are going to break the middle class. There will be no middle class if this crap keeps up. There will be the “haves”, and “have nots”. This over-priced BS on everything, and shortages of this and that, is going up be unsustainable. Something has to change.

So, RPRU and AF Museum for this year is out. We are going to conserve and stay close to home down here in TX. 

Last time I flew to MI, last summer, it costs more to rent a car than the plane tickets.  BK

34 minutes ago, Brady Boy said:

it costs more to rent a car than the plane tickets

This is exactly true, I have almost a million unused, NON-expiring frequent flyer miles, so, depending on the hoops and BS that I would have to jump through to redeem them, I still would NOT be able to afford the car rentals, hotels, meals, and gas, to go anywhere, and, yes, the Air Force museum would be on that list, and then take a little side trip, up into Michigan, before  coming back home.

One of the 'hoops' being NEVER getting through to Delta's 'customer service' people.

Stay HOME and become a subsistence farmer.  In 1956 we  farmed for a full year, the only fuel we burned was to bring in the specialty groceries and fertilizer.

40 acres with 2 good mules and a heck of a lot of hours following a plow.

I'm still going, after I missed the last two, but I still don't have a finished machine to bring...😑

4 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

This is exactly true, I have almost a million unused, NON-expiring frequent flyer miles, so, depending on the hoops and BS that I would have to jump through to redeem them, I still would NOT be able to afford the car rentals, hotels, meals, and gas, to go anywhere, and, yes, the Air Force museum would be on that list, and then take a little side trip, up into Michigan, before  coming back home.

One of the 'hoops' being NEVER getting through to Delta's 'customer service' people.

Uber. Still not cheap, but if you're only making a few trips, it beats renting a car by a mile.

I’m still planning to go. About 300 mile trip from home so gas won’t be too bad but I’m sure it will be worse than I’d like. I got a nephew and an old collage roommate within an hour so I should have a place to crash. This will be my first show so it makes me want to go more. 

Time constraints is the bigger issue on my tardiness. Most likely the closest to me it will be unless it's at Bloomsburg in the future again

560 miles for me, only question is to bring the Cub Loboy in the back of the pickup, or pull the trailer and bring something bigger. Duramax gets 22+/- mpg carrying the Cub, without trailer.

Mike and I drove to Missouri in 2008 right when diesel was $4.75. We survived. Figured it was the only way to in-person meet some of the Red Power friends from that part of the country.

If I don't get there, it will be because of the covid situation at the time, not fuel prices.

• Like 1

We are still going but have canceled several of our short camping trips this year. Last weekend we went on a 100 mile trip to eastern indiana. When we made the reservation at Christmas we got the last spot available. Over the weekend there were at least 20 empty sites. Mgr said that people are cancelling every day due to price of fuel.   

jerry

• Sad 1

Oh I will probably still go but not sure on hauling a tractor out. Wifes car gets a lot better mileage. 

5 hours ago, ny bill o said:

560 miles for me, only question is to bring the Cub Loboy in the back of the pickup, or pull the trailer and bring something bigger. Duramax gets 22+/- mpg carrying the Cub, without trailer.

Mike and I drove to Missouri in 2008 right when diesel was $4.75. We survived. Figured it was the only way to in-person meet some of the Red Power friends from that part of the country.

If I don't get there, it will be because of the covid situation at the time, not fuel prices.

Leave lots of room on your trailer to haul back a full load ...... 😁

We are still planning to go. Wife and son both enjoyed last year so we are coming. Not sure on pickup or car yet for transportation. 

15 minutes ago, bitty said:

RPRU may be too early in the year, and BEFORE the MEDIA/administration announcement of a new variation of the 'flu', err, Covid, has made it necessary to re-issue the travel restrictions, and mask requirements, that were in force during the past 30 months.

As of now we're planning on going. 210 miles for us. Probably as close as its going to get to me. And its closer than last year's we went to so it makes sense to try for it.