It doesn’t look good

Lazy WP

Truck was making noise in the front of the motor. I had a load on and delivered it to Cimmaron. Had an appointment in Wichita this morning to get it looked at. Never made it that far. 
They opened up the filters and this is what they found. 81B97456-BAC0-42ED-9B8B-3382539C6721.thumb.jpeg.bb9777a8206f0aa17c2f37b4198b2bea.jpegE24862E3-A4E5-4F41-9159-632B77EF3736.thumb.jpeg.f03b6b6b2dbc356516e1cb8b85114c5a.jpegHaven’t heard if they got it opened up yet. 
A noticeable pop, and a blue puff of smoke. No compression now. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 7

I was going to ask if this is the one you just did all the work to.  Any sort of guarantee or is it a guarantee long gone at 65000?

3 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

I was going to ask if this is the one you just did all the work to.  Any sort of guarantee or is it a guarantee long gone at 65000?

We aren’t sure how it’s going to play out. My wife works for the company and we ate lunch with one of the higher ups in the company and they are well aware of how many miles and other things. I am sure they will help some, how much I don’t know. They are a Cat shop and were having doubts about working on my Detroit before they tore into it. The tech that did the work has since quit. I don’t think they should pay the entire bill, but I hope they split the cost of a factory reman with me. 

Guess there won't be any surprise LP450's showing up at my place anytime soon .....

Hopefully you can get some satisfaction and get it resolved ASAP

Dang, that’s no good. Hopefully you can get it turned around pretty quick and they will help some. 

Dang sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will get you back up and going very soon and help you out with billing. 65000 seems to be low mileage for that to happen so soon. Wishing you the best Nick.

Grindings in the filter are pretty catastrophic. Looks like it spun a cam or crank bearing and shelled itself out. Or I have seen this before where a wrist pin retainer came out and wore the sleeve until they quit. Actually twice. Once on a new good wrench 350 a press fit wrist pin wore the block and on a 3406 b cat rebuilt with cat parts there was never a clip installed on one. Made it about 35,000 miles until it grooved sleeve bad and started knocking. But they caught it and we just changed out a liner piston set..

Dang sorry to hear Nick.

Hope the get a remain in quick and help with some of the cost.

Being down hurts like ****.

Pretty sure the bull gear failed. Broke it in with Delo 15-40 switched to Shaffers full synthetic this last oil change. 

Hope they can find parts. Had a friend who had his overhauled then sold the truck. As of last week it was in a shop south of Wichita with the Detroit bull gear flaking. 
  It was down a couple weeks but last I was told the parts did arrive. 
 Good luck

47 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

Hope they can find parts. Had a friend who had his overhauled then sold the truck. As of last week it was in a shop south of Wichita with the Detroit bull gear flaking. 
  It was down a couple weeks but last I was told the parts did arrive. 
 Good luck

Makes a bit of a difference when your spouse is the parts guru. She has a factory reman sitting in Wichita. I am really hoping for that to happen. 

They found the bull gear failed. I am getting a different engine, but it’s still up in the air as to what all I am paying. We found a factory reman, but it is 10,000 more than what they are willing to pay. 

• Sad 2

I have had enough experience to really sour me on dealership overhauls. Sometimes there’s no choice, but if a factory reman is available, it’s the only way to go. Not necessarily because the job they do is any better, but when and if a failure happens, it’s covered. I’m sorry that happened to your truck. 

• Thanks 1

The bull gear has a life limit,  suppose to be replaced at certain mileage.  How many miles are on the engine now?  Was it replaced at the rebuild?  

4 hours ago, redturbo said:

The bull gear has a life limit,  suppose to be replaced at certain mileage.  How many miles are on the engine now?  Was it replaced at the rebuild?  

632000, and yes it was replaced. 

5 hours ago, redturbo said:

58 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

632000, and yes it was replaced. 

Wanna bet that the replacement was "Made in Chinee", and out of repurposed LOW-quality steel.

18 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Wanna bet that the replacement was "Made in Chinee", and out of repurposed LOW-quality steel.

No the failure was more than likely improper backlash set or installation error. The 12.7 were known to have the bearings fail. The 14 has a bushing I believe so they are supposed to last longer. There are some instances of the replacement gear breaking though. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Are they putting in another Detroit? 

Yep.