Case IH 885XL - issues with lighting, flashers and wiring

I am working on what I am pretty sure is a 1987 year model Case IH 885XL.  I am now trying to resolve some wiring and lighting issues that are either not working at all or are intermittent problems.

For example, I was having a problem with the work lights on the cab as welling as the driving lights.  After working my way through the wiring harness (without the aid of a good schematic) I finally seem to have those working.  The problems seem to have been the bulkhead connectors in the engine compartment and also in the cab under the dash needed to be cleaned (contact cleaner), tightened slightly and adding some dielectric grease.   At this point and after several hours of trying to trace wires and harnesses, that seems to have at least those lights working. 

But I still have lighting issues.  The tractor cab has hazard/flashing lights visible to front and rear just above the doors on each side.   There are also red taillights on the rear fenders.  Borrowed this from another post:

image.png.2470926a8c61657f3765a9422dfdff1e.png

The lighting issues that I am working on now are:

1) Hazard lights (turning the light switch to the right of the steering column to the 1st position "Hazard") don't work at all.  No light.  No "clicking" that you would normally hear from a flasher relay.

2) Turn signal indicators.  If activated to turn left or right, the orange lights outside on the appropriate side come on solid but do not blink.   The green indicators in the dash do blink.

3) The red lights on the rear fenders don't work.

I looked in the CASEIH parts catalogue at Messicks and it appears as follows:

1) The turn signal indicator on the left side of the dash is labeled as a "flasher unit" with part number 87271837.  (See item 21 on Page 4-122 at https://www.messicks.com/cas/192892 )

image.png.ff43f2d7e433cc5fc5cea1bf564ab69b.png

2) There are three relays (#12,  #13 and #25 page 4-126 of the parts manual) part number 1983420C2 - two of which are near the fuse panel with no functional description and one of them is placed lower but still under the dash.

image.png.b4d38d56ae96d8408487d690b616881f.png

I am not able to locate in the parts manual what looks like a typical flasher relay or hazard relay.  Also, not having access to a wiring diagram makes it a little harder to track down this issue.  

By searching the internet I found a partial schematic but I am not sure that it matches the parts manual (it may not be the same year model 885) b/c it show at least three components involved - the light switch, the turn signal switch and a separate flasher relay that is indicated to be under the dash apparently near the bulkhead connector:

image.thumb.png.59edba4681dec5454c454a21fa3a6a52.png

If I was doing this on my truck, I would suspect the flasher relay.  On this tractor, I suspect it has one but the source materials are confusing me.   I am hoping someone has been down this path before and can clear it up.

John Harris

• John Harris changed the title to Case IH 885XL - issues with lighting, flashers and wiring

Adrewn269, thank you.  That answer sent me looking for more wiring diagrams and parts manuals.  I located the turn signal switch at Messicks.   I can understand how the turn signal "flasher" circuit might run through the switch.  Are there any other relays/switches or just the turn signal switch.  This switch?

image.png.e4acb19d732c305259d62df45cee2b8d.png

John:  Here are pages from an 85 series service manual covering wiring diagrams for 85 Series XL Tractors, North America.  European tractors have different wiring. Pages cover circuits for headlamps, taillamps, worklamps, turn signals , radio and dome lamp.  Second through last picture are one foldout.  ACA77CD4-60ED-4E73-8D47-4C5E4D8AC557.thumb.jpeg.ec34567a312888bc76eeadc39c3d29f3.jpeg

Hope this will help.  A63FFC3B-AEA2-4164-AEC9-27D6635BD43F.thumb.jpeg.af78112eaa68a8a6061bceb85f3886d5.jpeg1DADB50F-6A12-4754-8D4A-10E13CFDF720.thumb.jpeg.29b01a640e5d02e79672e637c73e93ae.jpeg05814C53-D781-4E2B-BB24-E50C0B31EE1A.thumb.jpeg.ed9ad9698fc2867a58a32eedf4509e63.jpeg08C0CC3E-57DE-4AB7-85E1-E5183DACCB56.thumb.jpeg.1211decb1956305f8006e88f371dca28.jpegCF876614-CC75-4351-96C7-1DAACFE78539.thumb.jpeg.8b126d9ebf22681795aceff8b5c57a45.jpeg321BBA58-F4B5-4D5B-834E-E5EACB623BAC.thumb.jpeg.82c8e5ad1002f2eaf8ee45b608cd6c16.jpeg

Item 7 in the last picture may be the relay you are looking for. Another relay in that area is Mechanical Front Drive Relay, shown on another foldout.  I did not see a third relay.

This page shows connections at the rear work light relay.

64D7B6E3-85AC-4A49-B184-E40C2CE9F6EF.thumb.jpeg.f5224f05be7ad7a114d6d01c6e71bed7.jpeg

Brian

E160BHM

Thank you for those images.   Based on the serial number this appears to be a 1987 and I am pretty sure that it is stamped made in England.  Either way, the images you shared are helpful.  What I find interesting is that on a tractor made from 1985-1990 that there seems to be several different wiring diagrams for the cab models. 

John:  I have a 1987 CaseIH 485.  The diagrams that match my tractor are for the previous model, an IH 484.  The confusion is no doubt due to the differences of IH and CaseIH factory record keeping and their integration.  IIRC the 485 parts books are correct for my tractor, but the service manuals are not.  Brian

Brian,

Looking at the schematics you posted here is what I think I read:

Component 1 - Lighting Switch:  Showing a "WARN" setting where my lighting switch on the dash shows "hazard".  The diagram connects it to wire Y-16.

Tracing Y16 leads to Component 13:

Component 13: listed as "Turn Indicator Switch":  Shows B/LG-16 wire to Left Turn Indicator Component 15 and B/W-16 going to Component 16 Right Turn indicator

Component 7 indicates it is the  Rear Lamp Cutout Relay and I think it powers/controls the white rear working lights mounted at top rear of the cab in the color photo above.  

Other than perhaps 13, I don't see anything listed as a hazard relay and even #13 is not listed as such.  But, it is the destination for the wire from the lighting Switch (#1) which has "WARN" by wire Y-16 to Component 13.

The odd thing is that Component 13 does not show its internal schematic like the other components do so its not clear if its only a switch, as labeled, or if its a combo switch/relay/etc.

To add to this search, I created an account on the CaseIH website.  I then selected UK as my region and drilled down until I found a parts catalogue for 885XL made up through 12/87.  On page 4-200 for Bulkhead electronics it shows this and I noted TWO components in the UK parts that are not on the wiring diagrams being shared here.  One is Component 1 labeled as a Bosch Flasher Unit Control and the other is Component 6 which is listed as a Flasher Unit

image.thumb.png.408daf2fff5082b3ed3fbdbe560882f6.png

Component 6

image.png.094f7d21cb652628d61f7e4f361b29a1.png

I think you're thinking to much. If your switch looks like the one pictured. Then that is your only flasher. If your switch is different. Then you will have two separate flashers. One for hazard and one for turn. As for yours being UK built. To the best of my knowledge they all were. It depends what market they were built for.

If you have the all in one switch. Replace it. Pretty common problem.

Snoshoe, you are most likely right that I am over thinking it.   I am used to have a correct wiring diagram in my hands and using a meter or test light but here that is not an option at this point.

Thanks!  I will likely order the turn signal switch as a starting point.

John

1 hour ago, John Harris said:

Snoshoe, you are most likely right that I am over thinking it.   I am used to have a correct wiring diagram in my hands and using a meter or test light but here that is not an option at this point.

Thanks!  I will likely order the turn signal switch as a starting point.

John

Please be advised.  It has been years since I had my fingers in one of these. Again I say IF this is the switch you have. Then the diagram posted should be correct. At least for the flashing lights. The way I remember it. Turning light switch to hazard sends power to signal switch which powers all four lights through flasher in switch. Moving turn signal lever. Lights on one side stay lit as other side continues to flash. You have all four lights lit therefor wires and bulbs good. Flasher bad. Replace switch.

Hi, just found this thread about you flasher issue. Please remember the USA spec tractors will have different switches and logic for the 4 way flashes to a uk spec tractor.  So to confirm is your tractor a UK spec 1987 tractor? If so I would first go to the hazard light switch.  They get full of dust and play up. You will have the left right indicator on s small stalk. Never seen these play up.

I will have a UK spec wiring drawing for this tractor I think

Hope this is s help.

Writing on my phone which is harder than the desktop.  So a short reply. 

Alex