Jump to content

695 slow 3 point drop


Recommended Posts

Hey gents, 

I had an incident with my chains this winter and may have ripped off the linkage for my 3 point control. After I got that fixed I noticed that my 3 point will raise normally, but is very slow to drop. I removed the draft and flow control valve assembly, cleaned and re-o-ringed everything i could get to (couldn't get the lower portion under the unloader valve out, started to strip, same with the flathead plug on the outside).

 

What else do I check here? I'm at a loss

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Euzoa said:

Where would that be located

Under the plate right behind the unloader. Can be checked just by raising hitch part way. Then measuring how far forward lever moves before it starts to drop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the center of spool between legs of the clevis is a small Allen screw. Screwing in causes pilot to open sooner. Screwing in to far will result in hitch dropping with engine off and hiccuping with engine running. Backing screw to far out causes slow or no drop. On open station. Measurement of lever travel between raise and drop was 3/8-7/16". I believe your cab uses a different quadrant but I expect specs to be close. Above information should make it work regardless of Measurement. Pretty sure drop poppet service requires lift cover removal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, snoshoe said:

@jimb2 can you tell me if this has a drop speed control?

Hi Snoshoe, no, not like the Raise Response Control lever, when in Draft control mode if the 3pt Raise/Lower lever is pushed all the way to the bottom or forward that controls how fast the Draft control will Lower an implement when it is in the ground. So if you are plowing using the Depth control and you rear wheels go over a ridge on the ground, if 3pt Raise/Lower lever is all the way forward the Depth control will drop the plow faster to keep the depth constant. This is my understanding of how it works.
Re @Euzoa 3 pt drop speed problem:
If he doesn't have an IH Service Manual the manual for the IH 54/74 series tractors is available at this link: 
https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/121219-d239-674-engine-manual-pdf/
The hydraulic system hasn't changed much from 54/74 thu 84/85/95/32XX and 42XX series tractors just lever positions in the different cabs, the hydraulic pump GPM and the Remote spool valves.
The IH Service Manual Section Group 10, Hydraulic System Page 1 and 2:
ld. ACTION VALVE OPERATION
Referring to Fig.1 the action valve 22 controls the flow of fluid returning from the lift cylinder 26 during the lowering cycle. Returning
fluid passes to the spring side of the piston 24 through the restrictor created by the tapered section of the spool 23 and\_out to reservoir at
the discharge port 25. Returning fluid also acts on the face side of the piston 24. The restriction created by the tapered section of the spool
creates a pressure differential across the piston 24, thereby causing the piston to move over to partially restrict the discharge port 25. The
heavier the implement the more pressure is created and the discharge port is made smaIIer.
Consequently all implements will lower at the same rate regardless of their weight. When the position control lever is moved past the offset into the drop response range of
the quadrant the spool 23. is moved in against spring pressure so that the tapered section further restricts the returning fluid and increases
the pressure differential across the piston 24. In this way a means is provided of controlling the lowering rate when operating in draft control.
The reference number descriptions and figures are on the following pages in the Service manual. The Lift and the Lowering Circuits are described.
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jimb2 said:

Hi Snoshoe, no, not like the Raise Response Control lever, when in Draft control mode if the 3pt Raise/Lower lever is pushed all the way to the bottom or forward that controls how fast the Draft control will Lower an implement when it is in the ground. So if you are plowing using the Depth control and you rear wheels go over a ridge on the ground, if 3pt Raise/Lower lever is all the way forward the Depth control will drop the plow faster to keep the depth constant. This is my understanding of how it works.
Re @Euzoa 3 pt drop speed problem:
If he doesn't have an IH Service Manual the manual for the IH 54/74 series tractors is available at this link: 
https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/121219-d239-674-engine-manual-pdf/
The hydraulic system hasn't changed much from 54/74 thu 84/85/95/32XX and 42XX series tractors just lever positions in the different cabs, the hydraulic pump GPM and the Remote spool valves.
The IH Service Manual Section Group 10, Hydraulic System Page 1 and 2:
ld. ACTION VALVE OPERATION
Referring to Fig.1 the action valve 22 controls the flow of fluid returning from the lift cylinder 26 during the lowering cycle. Returning
fluid passes to the spring side of the piston 24 through the restrictor created by the tapered section of the spool 23 and\_out to reservoir at
the discharge port 25. Returning fluid also acts on the face side of the piston 24. The restriction created by the tapered section of the spool
creates a pressure differential across the piston 24, thereby causing the piston to move over to partially restrict the discharge port 25. The
heavier the implement the more pressure is created and the discharge port is made smaIIer.
Consequently all implements will lower at the same rate regardless of their weight. When the position control lever is moved past the offset into the drop response range of
the quadrant the spool 23. is moved in against spring pressure so that the tapered section further restricts the returning fluid and increases
the pressure differential across the piston 24. In this way a means is provided of controlling the lowering rate when operating in draft control.
The reference number descriptions and figures are on the following pages in the Service manual. The Lift and the Lowering Circuits are described.
 

 

OK I'm familiar with that operation. In my mind in one of the later iterations there was a fourth lever for drop speed. Don't know when it started. No idea how it worked.  Wasn't around long enough to find out. Didn't want to make the op do major surgery. Only to find out it was an external valve. Knew you had a 95 in the family. Thanks for the info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked at my CIH 85 Series Service Manual and it has a procedure for adjusting the 3PT levers for cab tractor.
I have attached 3 pages.

CIH-85-Series-3PT-Adjust-Par-131-133.jpg

CIH-85-Series-3PT-Adjust-Par-134-135.jpg

CIH-85-Series-3PT-Adjust-Par-136-137.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

OK I'm familiar with that operation. In my mind in one of the later iterations there was a fourth lever for drop speed. Don't know when it started. No idea how it worked.  Wasn't around long enough to find out. Didn't want to make the op do major surgery. Only to find out it was an external valve. Knew you had a 95 in the family. Thanks for the info.

Snoshoe, my brother's CIH 495 open station and it has same hydraulic control levers as his 54/74/84 series tractor but his was a very early 495 as dealer was trying to sell him a 485 but he decided to wait for a 495. He has a CIH 3230 open station and I believe it has the same hydraulic levers as well. The 3230 is his loader tractor and 3pt usually has a back blade on it and I don't drive it that often.  The remote valves on the 495 and 3230 are the newer style that kick out to Neutral when remote cylinder reaches end of stroke.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jimb2 said:

Snoshoe, my brother's CIH 495 open station and it has same hydraulic control levers as his 54/74/84 series tractor but his was a very early 495 as dealer was trying to sell him a 485 but he decided to wait for a 495. He has a CIH 3230 open station and I believe it has the same hydraulic levers as well. The 3230 is his loader tractor and 3pt usually has a back blade on it and I don't drive it that often.  The remote valves on the 495 and 3230 are the newer style that kick out to Neutral when remote cylinder reaches end of stroke.

Well that would make it the c-cx series if it exists.  It may just be my tired mind showing me the wrong pictures again. Thanks again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...