The meth heads new Anhydrous .....

dads706

Seems the local meth heads have found something to steal besides Anhydrous ... they have switched to Diesel.

Was listening to the local radio yesterday and they said farmers are reporting diesel being stolen out of tractors and portable fuel tanks. Construction guy reported a 500 gallon support tank stolen while he was dozing. I guess he was out in the field building a pond and when he got back to the field entrance his support tank was gone. Said he didn't mind so much that they stole the tank and trailer, but he had just filled it. Ouch.

Then just this morning the Omaha TV station was talking to people who had gasoline stolen from their cars parked in the driveway overnight. They said thieves would just punch a hole in the gas tank and drain the tank. And to make matters worse they said that the dealers were having trouble getting replacement tanks. On backorder.

What the he** is happening out there. 

• Sad 2

The last time fuel was high this was a major problem here. It’s easy for them because tons of things have plastic tanks and a drill bit goes through it easy. They cause thousands of dollars in damage while they’re doing it. I have also seen them steal wheel weights, suitcase weights, and batteries to sell for scrap. 

Papa had a problem with having fuel stolen and knew who it was.  He filled his tank with water in stead of gas.

Couple days later the guy tows his car to the mechanic cause it won't run.

Mechanic told the guy his motor was shot, looked like low quality fuel damage.

Charged him enough money to buy papa all the fuel he lost.

No problem after that

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

During WW2 my Dad (used to tell story) worked for the county road dept on a diesel motor grader, at the end of the day he would just park the grader off the road and go home.  Fuel was very scarce and the locals would help themselves to the fuel in the grader. The problem is that they would put the heisted diesel in their gas cars and if the mixture was too diesel, they wanted him to jump their cars with his grader the next day.

During the Carter gas shortage, in California fuel distributors would store fuel in closed service stations.  I had a  local cop working for me.  He told me about busting a group  of thieves  who had filled a work van with 55 gallon drums and usea a pump to remove fuel from the closed station storage dump the oil companies were using.  I thought it was proof positive that the American public was being scammed into thinking there was an actual fuel shortage when in actuality they had more fuel than they had storage for.

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

With the price of gas lots of things beside fuel being stolen. Drive offs are up too.

Rick

Drive off's?  Everything here is pay then pump and has been since the last time fuel was over 4 dollars per gallon many years back (2008).  I would imagine that every form of crime involving obtaining money is up substantially since inflation popped off over a year ago.  Gonna get worse as people will find that the credit card companies are only going so far to float a household budget.  And worse yet these same credit card companies are going to be like Old Man Potter from It's A Wonderful Life should the people of Bedford Falls aka Seneca Falls, NY come crawling back to the slums aka paying usury rates on those balances.  Seeing how young people are not brought up to respect the law or function in society it will be the strong preying on the weak in a major way.  

3 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Papa had a problem with having fuel stolen and knew who it was.  He filled his tank with water in stead of gas.

Couple days later the guy tows his car to the mechanic cause it won't run.

Mechanic told the guy his motor was shot, looked like low quality fuel damage.

Charged him enough money to buy papa all the fuel he lost.

No problem after that

Just in case anybody has a similar idea here I will say the following.  Back in the day people were willing to admit that they were wrong in stealing.  I would imagine that very few have that philosophy today.  Putting water in a fuel tank would probably create more problems for the owner of the fuel tank than problems for the thief.  A very sad thing to say but the honest truth in 2022.

6 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The last time fuel was high this was a major problem here. It’s easy for them because tons of things have plastic tanks and a drill bit goes through it easy. They cause thousands of dollars in damage while they’re doing it. I have also seen them steal wheel weights, suitcase weights, and batteries to sell for scrap. 

Thing is if they were smart theyd take the suitcase weights to a sale instead of scrap. They’d bring wayyyy more than scrap price but look who you’re dealing with. 

21 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Putting water in a fuel tank would probably create more problems for the owner of the fuel tank than problems for the thief. 

ya don't put the water in the tank. Turn the valve off at the tank, and fill just the hose 😀

• Like 2

Last time it was high I filled  up 1486 and drive it to a leased farm to get ready to mow hay next day . Top tank was dry guess they didn’t know about bottom tank .

5 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Drive off's?  Everything here is pay then pump and has been since the last time fuel was over 4 dollars per gallon many years back (2008).  I would imagine that every form of crime involving obtaining money is up substantially since inflation popped off over a year ago.  Gonna get worse as people will find that the credit card companies are only going so far to float a household budget.  And worse yet these same credit card companies are going to be like Old Man Potter from It's A Wonderful Life should the people of Bedford Falls aka Seneca Falls, NY come crawling back to the slums aka paying usury rates on those balances.  Seeing how young people are not brought up to respect the law or function in society it will be the strong preying on the weak in a major way.  

Very few places here are pay then pump.

Rick

Very few places here are pay then pump

it is hard to use cash here even with ID/tracking and 50% have no means to take it at ALL> ,they actually discount more with each stage to  fully crypto. (IF ?)You have to take the $200 inside then its another >>>>^(&*^ to have an adult inspect those for FAUX.

if they test for fentenal they are real.

getting YOUR $ out of the bank is just shy of an SS interrogation, then they peddle govt approved $$$ CC or wire fees. "over YOUR cash,     It s MINE not the govts and YOU ONLY pay $.01 /1K to USE it for the month !!!:

Had to deposit irs refund with 30 day hold, "THEY" are terrified it can be auto re-deducted by IRS for ANY reason.

IS NJ and .. 1 other still pump for you?

7 hours ago, mmi said:

S NJ and .. 1 other still pump for you?

NJ is for sure. They take your credit card, use it in the pump and return it to you then give you the receipt when done. I’ve no idea what they do with cash but I imagine they take cash before pumping. 

7 hours ago, acem said:

Stealing fuel has been goin on for a looong time.

Ever heard of an Oklahoma credit card?

Thx-Ace 

But the volume and number of instances has shot up exponentially in the last several months.  A lot more calls into law enforcement about theft in stores in the last several months.  This all costs the legitimate consumer at some point in time.  

• Like 1

There is at least one chain of stores here in NY that will still let you pump first. From what I hear, drive offs are a daily occurrence. Sounds like they always have been.  Guy behind the counter told me this morning that at our small store here in town that he has (only) 2-3 a week 

15 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Very few places here are pay then pump.

Rick

This is interesting as i havent not paid at the pump for gas diesel in the last 20 years, except when the machines were broken on the rare instance.

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

There is at least one chain of stores here in NY that will still let you pump first. From what I hear, drive offs are a daily occurrence. Sounds like they always have been.  Guy behind the counter told me this morning that at our small store here in town that he has (only) 2-3 a week 

I honestly cannot think of one.  Byrne Dairy is prepay.  So is Speedway.  Kwik-Fill has the attendant but you pay that person first.  Sometimes you do not have to prepay to the last penny but will be asked for a credit card to insure that you comeback inside.  Seems like after the first chain did prepay that within a week they all went to that method.  Just took time for someone to have the balls to do it.  Obviously credit card at the pump takes care of itself without going inside but payment is set before you hang up the nozzle.  

All are prepay here

2 hours ago, cjf711 said:

This is interesting as i havent not paid at the pump for gas diesel in the last 20 years, except when the machines were broken on the rare instance.

When my wife and I drove to Vegas in Feb I was shocked to have to pay first in WY, UT, NV and CO. We have one place about 20 miles from me that is pay first. Before prices went up the local places here averaged 1 or 2 drive offs a month. And most of those were locals who got to talking to someone and forgot to pay who returned later in the day to make it right.

Rick

Stewart’s shops are the only ones that let you pump first, in my part of NY anyway. They are a central and moderately northern  NY thing. I don’t believe they exist west of Rome or east of Cobleskill. I still pay first, out of habit

On 5/14/2022 at 4:51 PM, 766 Man said:

Everything here is pay then pump and has been since the last time fuel was over 4 dollars per gallon many years back (2008). 

Same here. I don't think i haven't had to prepay for gasoline in 15 years. 

The crazy place i don't have to prepay the last i knew but may now is the truck stop we fuel the semi truck up. 

4 hours ago, oldtanker said:

When my wife and I drove to Vegas in Feb I was shocked to have to pay first in WY, UT, NV and CO. We have one place about 20 miles from me that is pay first. Before prices went up the local places here averaged 1 or 2 drive offs a month. And most of those were locals who got to talking to someone and forgot to pay who returned later in the day to make it right.

Rick

When i first started driving the shell station in town you pumped gas, then walked in and told them how many gallons you got and they wrote you a hand ticket.  This was in 95.  Now it is all prepay cash or credit.   

Worked with a guy in chicago who prepaid at the pump then got to talking on his phone for work,  drove off with the gas nozzle still in his durango...   They got hold of him on I-90 still with the nozzle sitting there... At least he pre paid for his fuel though!