Dealership woes

Dirtpoor beat me to it, I was going to point out how all the small farms are getting bought up by BTO.

Don't get me wrong, there's no shortage of dealers deserving a bad name. And yes it sucks if your local is one of them.

Another thing to consider. If you are getting poor service and ill treatment at every place you go, what kind of customer are you being? I'm the easiest going guy you'll ever deal with, but there's a few people I won't lift a finger to help. If a customer brings a rude or hostile attitude to my office, I'm not inclined to give them any reason to come back.

• Like 2

The local Case IH dealer here is a one store location. All of the Deere stores near me are from two different chains. You can’t talk to the owner, but they do a very good job in my opinion. The local CAT store is Foley. I don’t do enough business there to amount to anything compared to their large customers. I did go there a while back with a CAT undercarriage conversion book from the 1980’s in an attempt to find some parts for an IH track loader that could be made to work. All of the parts guys were very helpful. You maybe could even say they thought my story was neat. They had never seen that conversion book before and were unaware that it even existed. If they were willing to help with that project, I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t help anybody. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'm gonna be the "bad guy" here and call BS on the dealers side to a point.  If so many dealers are hurting why has there been massive consolidation the past few years with these mega dealers buying large swaths of territory? If business were so bad I sure wouldnt be pumping money into more locations. 

JD dealers were forced to consolidate.  That is fact.  

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, oldtanker said:

Get used to it. I think this is going to be an ongoing problem. I was thinking about Versatile just yesterday as I drove by the only dealer I know of within 60 or so miles. Was wondering. Didn't a Russian company buy they out a couple of years ago? I think I read something about them moving production from Winnipeg to some place in Russia?

Found something "  In 2007 Rostselmash, a Russian agricultural equipment company, acquired a controlling stake in Buhler Industries."

In Rostov-on-Don, Russia, Rostselmash is launching localization of their four-wheel drive tractors which are currently manufactured in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The core manufacturing site of Rostselmash plans to establish production of their Canadian Versatile 4WD series, i.e. models 380/405/430/460. The first assembly line is scheduled for 2019, with a full cycle of tractor manufacturing being arranged for 2020-2021. According to Director of Marketing Department of the company Prokhor Darmov, production transfer is based on economic reasons. The tractor assembly in Russia becomes more profitable for Rostselmash. At the same time, political factors, “due to which it is getting harder for Russian entrepreneurs to do business in America,” are also taken into consideration.

Versatile, Canadian manufacturer of agricultural tractors, was bought by Rostselmash in 2007. Until 2016, the Russian company had been producing a range of machines in their factory in Winnipeg. In 2016, during the first wave of localization, it brought the Versatile’s 2375 model to Rostov-on-Don. This second wave of localization, most probably, won’t be the last. Rostselmash plans to introduce assembly lines for other series of the Canadian equipment.

Also they now own about 97.6% of the stock.

Rick

True, Mostly Russian owned now. Tractor are still made where they always have been in Winnipeg Manitoba. I believe they may be assembling some in Russia for domestic and European use

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'm gonna be the "bad guy" here and call BS on the dealers side to a point.  If so many dealers are hurting why has there been massive consolidation the past few years with these mega dealers buying large swaths of territory? If business were so bad I sure wouldnt be pumping money into more locations. 

It is and isnt at the same time,didnt really go deep with neighbor,

been 5-6 yrs ,he quit 4 store ,many short lines 120+ mile territory.100s of govt contracts, $40 mil yr

to 6 store (fiat)4 yrs ago they were told BUY UP or SELL OUT. so there are at least 15 over 3 states. he is vp of sales now and spends most days transferring NA parts and putting out fires.  They have over $100 mil on BO.which is not paying the bills. His cut back all the leased vehicles are on modified purchase,as his had 36K about every 5 months.