Dealership woes

Neighbor of mine has this old Versatile series II 850 that gets maybe 10-20 hrs a year on it.  Engine ran fine but was starting to get lots of blow by so he had a local dealer overhaul it.  They quoted him $15,000 which means they probably were only going to do the sleeves/pistons or bare minimum.  They get done overhauling the engine and haul it back to him.  Problem is  the truck pulls into the yard and my neighbor goes out finds the tractor still running.  The dumb$h!t driver or whoever loaded it left the tractor running the whole trip!!!  Now the dealer was 140 miles away and ran for 2+ hrs plus whatever time it spent running at the dealership loading it.  So naturally my neighbor was fizzed.  And then he gets the bill for it and its $47,000.  Talked to the manager and apparently they overhauled the engine completely from the crankshaft on up and front to back.  Nothing was untouched.  Probably the right way to do it but that is not what they discussed when they gave him the quote.  So the manager offered to bring the bill down to the $21,000 which still didn't help because you have the issue of a freshly overhauled engine idling for 2+hrs.  Long story short he contacted the owner of the dealer (its a multi store dealership) he offered to install a reman engine for $21,000 which my neighbor took.  

• Sad 2

A friend of mine just got some hydraulic valves rebuilt, they quoted him a $100 a piece. He took 2 and the bill was over $300. 
I know it’s not a $47,000 bill, but for some reason these dealers don’t seem to care about customer service anymore. 
He same guy took a 706 to them to add a 3pt to the tractor. Same thing, quoted him $1000 and got the bill for close to $2000. He supplied all of the parts except for the gaskets, etc.

That is the way nearly every shop is going. Lisa fights with their shops all the time about adding items or prices without contacting the customer. 
As for the idle time, WOWSERS is all that comes out. 

Glad the customer, and the dealer were able to achieve a mutual agreement. I don’t know if I would personally be all that ‘bent’ on the idle of the engine. I guess it would depend on a couple factors, was it a slow idle of 700rpm or so, or did the driver kick it up a few notches to over 1000rpm? What engine is it, CAT? Cummins? MB? Detroit?

For only 10-15 hrs per year of use, a bit of blow-by would not concern me, but ‘to each his own’. The farmer truly is not going to able to properly break-in that motor before the warranty would expire regardless of the idling, reman, or brand new, or an inframe. Just my opinion.

Something seems off with this whole story.  Trouble is none of us were there on the dealer or customer end to know just what was up.  I just don't see how things went from 15,000 to 47,000 dollars in an engine job.

• Like 3

Deere dealer operating north and east of here has started charging a minimum of 40 dollars to have parts that are not on stock at the dealer.  Imagine buying something that is 8 or 10 dollars and to get it cost 40 no matter what. 

30 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Glad the customer, and the dealer were able to achieve a mutual agreement. I don’t know if I would personally be all that ‘bent’ on the idle of the engine. I guess it would depend on a couple factors, was it a slow idle of 700rpm or so, or did the driver kick it up a few notches to over 1000rpm? What engine is it, CAT? Cummins? MB? Detroit?

For only 10-15 hrs per year of use, a bit of blow-by would not concern me, but ‘to each his own’. The farmer truly is not going to able to properly break-in that motor before the warranty would expire regardless of the idling, reman, or brand new, or an inframe. Just my opinion.

Cummins was all Versitle used, as far as I know. 10 hours of pulling a 12 bottom plow will break them in quick. 

5 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Deere dealer operating north and east of here has started charging a minimum of 40 dollars to have parts that are not on stock at the dealer.  Imagine buying something that is 8 or 10 dollars and to get it cost 40 no matter what. 

They had better tell me about this charge and also have it posted at the counter.

Otherwise, I walk in to get the part, find out about the charge, I will turn around and walk out of that dealership.

Dealers are getting greedy!

• Like 1

You know, there was a headache there, but the dealer made it right, it sounds like.

$47K for an engine overhaul!  While I have never heard of an Model 850 Versatile (835/875 and the 900 series (except the 900 series with the V-903 Cummins) were all over the place when I was at BT&I, I would think that tractor would be worth far less than that, and not knowing what other problems it has that Versatiles are known for, I would think that unless he was very attached to that tractor, that he could have found a better machine for that price.

As far as "quotes' meaning nothing, when I would have the JD dealer rebuild something, i.e. the SCVs, steering valve, load shaft seals on, should we say, a VERY common tractor, the final cost would invariably be double the 'estimate'.

I could never figure this out, since JD used the same SCV from 1968-1992, the same steering valve for years, so it was not like the labor was an unknown, or parts were hard to come by, but one would think that on something so common, that the service manager could quote the price off the top of his head, and be within a few dollars of what the final bill would be.

In the year or so that I was at BT&I, I cannot remember a single major engine problem with ANY of the Versatiles, or Cummins powered John Deeres (8960) that came through the shop.

1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

I’d just order from one of the online dealers like greenpartstore or greenfarmparts or even Amazon and have it at my door in two days and not mess around with driving around to the store. 

What are shop rates nowadays? Based on the original price, that pencils out to $12500 in labor using genuine Cummins. I came up with $312 /hour.

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

If that Deere dealer is like the multi store conglomerates around here, I know how much they stock.........

1 hour ago, MTB98 said:

I’d just order from one of the online dealers like greenpartstore or greenfarmparts or even Amazon and have it at my door in two days and not mess around with driving around to the store. 

All colors here are going to a policy if the manufacturer sends a part in a two pack or larger and not stocked then the customer has to buy the complete package.

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

$47K for an engine overhaul!  While I have never heard of an Model 850 Versatile (835/875 and the 900 series (except the 900 series with the V-903 Cummins) were all over the place when I was at BT&I, I would think that tractor would be worth far less than that, and not knowing what other problems it has that Versatiles are known for, I would think that unless he was very attached to that tractor, that he could have found a better machine for that price.

As far as "quotes' meaning nothing, when I would have the JD dealer rebuild something, i.e. the SCVs, steering valve, load shaft seals on, should we say, a VERY common tractor, the final cost would invariably be double the 'estimate'.

I could never figure this out, since JD used the same SCV from 1968-1992, the same steering valve for years, so it was not like the labor was an unknown, or parts were hard to come by, but one would think that on something so common, that the service manager could quote the price off the top of his head, and be within a few dollars of what the final bill would be.

In the year or so that I was at BT&I, I cannot remember a single major engine problem with ANY of the Versatiles, or Cummins powered John Deeres (8960) that came through the shop.

Unless I was extremely attached to that tractor like I drove it to my honeymoon I know I would not approve a 15,000 dollar work order for what would be normally a 10,000 dollar tractor.  Like I said before there is a lot wrong with this story.  I've been on the dealer end before where the stakes typically are a lot lower and I would still oversee even a 500 dollar order (this was over 20 years ago) so I did not get blindsided and taken out to the wood shed.  Plenty of angry idiots on both sides of the counter without asking for trouble.

46 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

If that Deere dealer is like the multi store conglomerates around here, I know how much they stock.........

One of the bigger ones around. Hutson's.

They got their toehold in Michigan when they bought out Bader's and D&G which were both already multiple store dealers already. 

1 hour ago, MTB98 said:

If its not something you need yesterday. This works fine. If you need it now. Waiting 2 to four days may not be feasible for some to get going again. 

The story ive heard was they went in thinking the part they needed was in stock. It wasn't.  They really needed it and they were there anyway so they went on and ordered it and when they picked it up and saw the receipt they blew a gasket. They expected some shipping but for as small a item it was. Getting hit 40 dollars is BS

I guess we in Pennsylvania are blessed with multiple good dealers yet.  Maybe they realize we still have options here.

1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

If its not something you need yesterday. This works fine. If you need it now. Waiting 2 to four days may not be feasible for some to get going again. 

The story ive heard was they went in thinking the part they needed was in stock. It wasn't.  They really needed it and they were there anyway so they went on and ordered it and when they picked it up and saw the receipt they blew a gasket. They expected some shipping but for as small a item it was. Getting hit 40 dollars is BS

So you needed it yesterday and drive to the dealer who then had to order it and then you had to wait and then drive back again to find out they charged you a minimum order fee? And that’s faster than just ordering it yourself? 
If you added some filters or grease or something to the order to make it $50 total would you still get the $40 charge?

2 hours ago, 766 Man said:

All colors here are going to a policy if the manufacturer sends a part in a two pack or larger and not stocked then the customer has to buy the complete package.

I had a similar experience with ordering a Kuhn disc mower part from my Deere dealer. The Kuhn part I had to order a five pack even though it only takes one. However, Kuhn makes that same mower as a Deere model. I could buy just one part as a JD part number and it was less than a single Kuhn part.  It came in a JD bag and the part itself was stamped “Kuhn” 

Get used to it. I think this is going to be an ongoing problem. I was thinking about Versatile just yesterday as I drove by the only dealer I know of within 60 or so miles. Was wondering. Didn't a Russian company buy they out a couple of years ago? I think I read something about them moving production from Winnipeg to some place in Russia?

Found something "  In 2007 Rostselmash, a Russian agricultural equipment company, acquired a controlling stake in Buhler Industries."

In Rostov-on-Don, Russia, Rostselmash is launching localization of their four-wheel drive tractors which are currently manufactured in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The core manufacturing site of Rostselmash plans to establish production of their Canadian Versatile 4WD series, i.e. models 380/405/430/460. The first assembly line is scheduled for 2019, with a full cycle of tractor manufacturing being arranged for 2020-2021. According to Director of Marketing Department of the company Prokhor Darmov, production transfer is based on economic reasons. The tractor assembly in Russia becomes more profitable for Rostselmash. At the same time, political factors, “due to which it is getting harder for Russian entrepreneurs to do business in America,” are also taken into consideration.

Versatile, Canadian manufacturer of agricultural tractors, was bought by Rostselmash in 2007. Until 2016, the Russian company had been producing a range of machines in their factory in Winnipeg. In 2016, during the first wave of localization, it brought the Versatile’s 2375 model to Rostov-on-Don. This second wave of localization, most probably, won’t be the last. Rostselmash plans to introduce assembly lines for other series of the Canadian equipment.

Also they now own about 97.6% of the stock.

Rick

Sadly, the story sounds familiar. I had a similar situation with a John Deere 4wd. They gave me some numbers and I made the mistake of not having anything in writing. My advice is GET IT IN WRITING with very specific instructions about what is to be done if anything changes. I don’t doubt it at all that they billed an extra $30K. I’ve had it happen. Sometimes it is difficult to communicate that they are spending actual money and that someone actually has to pay that. No store is the same, even within the same dealership chain. I’ve spent more than machines are worth on a regular basis, it’s what it’s going to cost to get something different that is the relevant number. If you have a worn out model of whatever, there’s a good chance a replacement of the same model won’t be any better. 

45 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

So you needed it yesterday and drive to the dealer who then had to order it and then you had to wait and then drive back again to find out they charged you a minimum order fee? And that’s faster than just ordering it yourself? 
If you added some filters or grease or something to the order to make it $50 total would you still get the $40 charge?

Next day? Compared to a minimum of 2 days if not more? If shipped USPS you'll be waiting a week. 

Not saying you're not wrong. But sometimes a day makes a big difference in getting something in ahead of weather. If i can be going any quicker. Im willing to pay a little for it. Not 40 dollars for a 10 dollar piece but a little more. That's just absolute highway robbery. 

Of course maybe im the only one with that type of urgency to get it done.