BTD6 Injectors BD264 Diesel

Just received a new glow plug kit to fit the BTD6, had a look at how difficult it was going to be to get the old ones out this morning, and it looks like the injector will need to be removed first, because there is not enough room to get a tube socket on the old glow plug.  Just tried the easy one on no1 cylinder but it doesn’t want to budge, so I tried to remove the whole unit and it wants to stay !!  I guess there is a special tool ? Don’t want to break anything so if anyone can give me a heads up that would be great.

Cheers

Dave

A couple of photos, I guess similar to USA TD6 except this is pure diesel with glow plugs instead of petrol start.

D69DB9A1-8E0C-4BAB-AE4A-9A34A443409D.jpeg

669E53A5-A807-4358-BA15-59972F34E4E8.jpeg

• Like 1

Dave....on the assumption that the original    issue glow plugs have all run their race...I   had a 'cheapo'  socket...ground down to fit on the hex....and, of course 'broke'  the glow plug  down to allow the socket to fit .....(this being a regular  socket...not a long reach..)...either that  or snip a tiny bit off the injector body ...with a strategically placed cutting disc.....either or  , will save you frustrating hours getting those bloody things out....They could have been in there since 1960...!!!

...as for the injector body ...loosen the two nuts off , that hold the injector body down....and fire up the engine...its messy...and noisy...then shut down   and proceed to the next one..(retighten    #1...because once it is 'loose''  it will give up  next time...and the removal is simple....)

I used the Toyota Land Cruiser  glow plugs on both the   BD 264 and BD   281 engines..makes a huge difference

...and @mmi...those are four  cylinder  engines 

Mike

Edit >  BTW, Dave, I have yet to ''go home '' since speaking to you. last....Continuous work here at the Station.......

12 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Dave....on the assumption that the original    issue glow plugs have all run their race...I   had a 'cheapo'  socket...ground down to fit on the hex....and, of course 'broke'  the glow plug  down to allow the socket to fit .....(this being a regular  socket...not a long reach..)...either that  or snip a tiny bit off the injector body ...with a strategically placed cutting disc.....either or  , will save you frustrating hours getting those bloody things out....They could have been in there since 1960...!!!

...as for the injector body ...loosen the two nuts off , that hold the injector body down....and fire up the engine...its messy...and noisy...then shut down   and proceed to the next one..(retighten    #1...because once it is 'loose''  it will give up  next time...and the removal is simple....)

I used the Toyota Land Cruiser  glow plugs on both the   BD 264 and BD   281 engines..makes a huge difference

...and @mmi...those are four  cylinder  engines 

Mike

Edit >  BTW, Dave, I have yet to ''go home '' since speaking to you. last....Continuous work here at the Station.......

Thanks Mike I like the idea of grinding down a socket, will give that a try. Three of those original glow plugs work so if I can save them I will by grinding a tube socket. The new kit I have has Toyota glow plugs with new inserts and they are connected in parallel, by passing the resister so they all get twelve volts. Should be good 😊 You are correct of course the BD264 is 4 cylinders, my photography hid the last injector, sorry Mmi…..

I thought you must have still been away Mike……sent you an email about a week ago about the BTD6 exhaust manifold, but it’s all sorted now we welded up the hole and it seems to be fine.

Dave

The ground down socket worked, got all four hold down sleeves removed, and three glow plugs out. The fourth is being a bit stubborn in the hole with carbon build up, so it’s soaking in CRC. I now know why there are no used glow plugs available for the BD264 you have to wreck them to get them out !!! 🤠

My 150B was changed before I bought it, to a D301 engine (glow plug diesel) I don't remember all the details but 20 years or so ago my momentary switch stuck on my glow plugs and burned them up I guess. I was able to get replacements at a Komatsu dealer. They changed out without too much trouble, lucky I guess?

Good luck with that fourth bugger.

Got that stubborn glow plug out today, after soaking it in auto transmission fluid for a few days, and I made up a clamp to lock on to the top of the glow plug with an attachment to a slide hammer.  I am pleased to say it reluctantly popped out at last. 👍 Was starting to think removal of the head was going to be required, but not this time  !!!

so now a good clean up, before fitting the the new kit.

• Like 3

Toyota glow plugs all installed, only one wire to be fitted from the ignition switch. Then we should have some life !

4C921652-F45C-4745-ABAF-C3C6153929A2.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bit disappointing after fitting new glow plugs, it doesn’t want to start. Plenty of smoke but won’t continue to run. So far I bled the fuel again, recharged the battery’s and checked the voltage at the glow plugs. I think the crimped wires in the fittings are not good enough, so removed all the new wires and soldered the fittings on, some were loose, So will try that when I get back to it.

Maybe they are not getting hot enough, the instructions in the kit said 12V for 15 to 20 seconds. I removed one and it was red hot in about 7 seconds. I don’t want to burn any out !!! 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Dave Mac said:

Bit disappointing after fitting new glow plugs, it doesn’t want to start. Plenty of smoke but won’t continue to run. So far I bled the fuel again, recharged the battery’s and checked the voltage at the glow plugs. I think the crimped wires in the fittings are not good enough, so removed all the new wires and soldered the fittings on, some were loose, So will try that when I get back to it.

Maybe they are not getting hot enough, the instructions in the kit said 12V for 15 to 20 seconds. I removed one and it was red hot in about 7 seconds. I don’t want to burn any out !!! 

I would imagine that is more a 'feul' issue than   a gow plug issue.....Once those old BD/AD   264's fire up , they normally keep going...albeit with  a lot a smoke and banging etc....I have "converted ""several   to Toyota glow plugs...with good results..in fact it is light years better...but...to be fair...Toyota's  glow plug manufacturer  has possibly  honed  the technical attributes of the glowing plug.....as compared with "Lucas"  stuff of nigh on seventy years gone....

I have had one disaster however,Dave....I brought a tired old 634   (BD 281   cubes )....once it was running it was reaonably good....so I put the Toyota plugs in  etc etc...In my haste to get it running....I inadvertantly   reversed  the  battery  polarity....thus the glow plugs were never going to function...but blundering on , I thought a nice shot of ether would crank her up....it did, but only on three cylinders after popping the head gasket....  In all the years since we owned those tractors with that engine...some were new or very near  new.....always was careful if the ether fix had to be used....  Just typeing this treatise out give me a nervous twitch thinking about the A544    (AD 264 )  and the drama to get that to fire up in our  winter months.....

Give us the 'update' upon fireing the BTD6 up....:)

Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike 

you are probably right on the fuel issue, the system was dry because I had to repair a fuel line, and I had the primer pump off for a fuel leak.

However I did bleed the system as per the manual, but I will do it again. I guess the other factor is it is Antarctic cold here at the moment, we are finally getting frosts. Brass Monkey weather is never good for starting old International Diesels, after all it’s not a Ford 😊

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Got it running today after bleeding the fuel system again, it was a bit hard to start and it smoked real bad until it got hot, probably because of all the WD40, auto fluid, and oil I had to use to free up the old glow plugs. But it is running nice now, so will see how it starts tomorrow.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dave Mac said:

Got it running today after bleeding the fuel system again, it was a bit hard to start and it smoked real bad until it got hot, probably because of all the WD40, auto fluid, and oil I had to use to free up the old glow plugs. But it is running nice now, so will see how it starts tomorrow.

...thats sounds better, Dave.....!!!

...if ,back in the daze, of running those then, not so old engines,  I had been aware of the simple device called a ''block heater'' ..life would have been a lot less stressfull....:rolleyes:......Trying to tell a Canadian...or indeed an American , about our 'cold' winters here, causes considerably mirth ...however, it was so bloody cold up here at the Rainbow Station, that I had a real act with my athritic hands to open the excavator door......frozen shut ...even the big Johnny D refused to start....

At the ''back '  of the Station, there is a bit of elevation..the Mountains are quite close...and for you way down there , about a thousand miles as the  Hi-Lux goes , from Auckland....it is a totally different world, in our winter......

Mike

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, redturbo said:

What temperatures are dealing with Mike?  I looked up your temperature today,  +6 to -2.  That’s t-shirt weather for me.  

....thing is  , we are just a little island  (two, actually )... way down in the South Pacific.....thus we can never be as cold as Canada , with its vast land mass....but in saying that, some of our more elevated areas can get quite crisp.....Recently there have been temps below minus 10, this in the South Island.....which is so far removed from the top of the North Island temps...its like a different country....

Where I seem to have spent the last five months working, it can get very cold...the ''''pass''   at the head of the area of the Rainbow Station, is called 'Island Pass"..it is 10,233  feet high   (I still speak English.....)...thus the surrounding country is cool at times due to the elevation.....The bigger mountains retain the snow cap year round...

...by comparison...Edmunton is 2116 feet elevation....and that is bloody cold up there...I have spent 4 or 5    Xmas's   up there , in Sherwood Park, this whilst working on the Caribbean... and a couple of other times...

I actually required considerable more than a 'T   shirt'   at those times......:rolleyes:

I have had American visitors here in February...who found it uncomfortably hot....I have been to their place in Utah in the summer and found it beyond uncomfortably  hot...Guess its what you are used to...but I would never be envious of working , maintenance on a machine in the Canadian winter..

Put a track back on the H210  recently on a very cold frosty morning....I was whining like a little girl   about my hands being cold....no gloves  etc...unlike you blokes who seem to wear gloves even to chain down a machine on a low bed...in summer !!   

Guess its because we are of a more laid back peasant class than the sophistication   of the Canadian Male..think Trudeau

Mike

Thanks for the history lesson Mike.  One day would like to visit your country,  dont know if I could sit in a flying beer can all day thou.  Im not far Edmonton.  Your right,  you get used to where one grows up.  There is no way I could live in the mid west states in the summer.  

Our so called leader is a pos

• Haha 1

Nice day here today, quite warm for this time of year at least 10 deg C.

Got the old girl started again, but I can’t say it was easy, had to resort to a bit of easy start, and it still smokes a lot until it gets hot. I think it may have a lazy cylinder. The engine always smoked a lot on start up but I put it down to no glow plug on no3.

Now with four new glow plugs it starts on four, but blows more smoke than it did, until it gets hot. I backed off each injector line while it was running and No2 cylinder didn’t have the same rpm drop as the other three.  I think I will leave it until I can get it out and work it for a few hours and see what happens, my guess is the head will be coming off sooner or later !!! 🤠

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 4:08 PM, mike newman said:

....thing is  , we are just a little island  (two, actually )... way down in the South Pacific.....thus we can never be as cold as Canada , with its vast land mass....but in saying that, some of our more elevated areas can get quite crisp.....Recently there have been temps below minus 10, this in the South Island.....which is so far removed from the top of the North Island temps...its like a different country....

Where I seem to have spent the last five months working, it can get very cold...the ''''pass''   at the head of the area of the Rainbow Station, is called 'Island Pass"..it is 10,233  feet high   (I still speak English.....)...thus the surrounding country is cool at times due to the elevation.....The bigger mountains retain the snow cap year round...

...by comparison...Edmunton is 2116 feet elevation....and that is bloody cold up there...I have spent 4 or 5    Xmas's   up there , in Sherwood Park, this whilst working on the Caribbean... and a couple of other times...

I actually required considerable more than a 'T   shirt'   at those times......:rolleyes:

I have had American visitors here in February...who found it uncomfortably hot....I have been to their place in Utah in the summer and found it beyond uncomfortably  hot...Guess its what you are used to...but I would never be envious of working , maintenance on a machine in the Canadian winter..

Put a track back on the H210  recently on a very cold frosty morning....I was whining like a little girl   about my hands being cold....no gloves  etc...unlike you blokes who seem to wear gloves even to chain down a machine on a low bed...in summer !!   

Guess its because we are of a more laid back peasant class than the sophistication   of the Canadian Male..think Trudeau

Mike

Arthritis creeps into too many, not a competition the ones that can avoid it are the real winners, used to think 4x4 was about the most useful box to check on an option sheet, would think pretty hard about heated steering wheel now, course from a guy that will never check any new boxes on anything 

On 7/3/2022 at 5:54 PM, Dave Mac said:

Nice day here today, quite warm for this time of year at least 10 deg C.

Got the old girl started again, but I can’t say it was easy, had to resort to a bit of easy start, and it still smokes a lot until it gets hot. I think it may have a lazy cylinder. The engine always smoked a lot on start up but I put it down to no glow plug on no3.

Now with four new glow plugs it starts on four, but blows more smoke than it did, until it gets hot. I backed off each injector line while it was running and No2 cylinder didn’t have the same rpm drop as the other three.  I think I will leave it until I can get it out and work it for a few hours and see what happens, my guess is the head will be coming off sooner or later !!! 🤠

...Dave..it needs some exercise...some serious exercise. like dragging a set of five aside 24's  bush and bog discs, for several hours at maximum rpm

...I well imagine you don't have access to either aforesaid discs...or the paddock to use them...but, I bet you another cup of coffee at Edendale, next January, that you would notice a big difference in starting  and the initial 'running''  of BD 264....

..providing the "Red Queen "'permits such a gathering of the peasants.....

Mike

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

...Dave..it needs some exercise...some serious exercise. like dragging a set of five aside 24's  bush and bog discs, for several hours at maximum rpm

...I well imagine you don't have access to either aforesaid discs...or the paddock to use them...but, I bet you another cup of coffee at Edendale, next January, that you would notice a big difference in starting  and the initial 'running''  of BD 264....

..providing the "Red Queen "'permits such a gathering of the peasants.....

Mike

Mike…… Win or lose I am very happy to buy you a couple of coffees at Edendale in January…… I hope you are right, that BD264 has done very little hard work for many years, my brother used it mainly for keeping his driveway graded, and then it sat idle for at least 10 years until I saved it….. since then it has really only been driven off the hill onto transport and off at the other end.

At this stage I will probably take the M to Edendale, even thought about driving it there !!!  But common sense will probably win and it will get a ride on a flat deck. Looking forward to it !

Dave

Dave - Drive it there. I've driven Marty's ones back to Gore and had a hoot! Bloody neat fun racing along at 20 mph lol. Had to concentrate on the steering high speed wobbles hahaha. It was refreshing to set the tractor at a constant speed and watch the world go by - beats working and stressing in Auckland. Had time to think and reflect which we seem to not allow time to do these days. 

• Thanks 1