BTD6 Injectors BD264 Diesel

Just received a new glow plug kit to fit the BTD6, had a look at how difficult it was going to be to get the old ones out this morning, and it looks like the injector will need to be removed first, because there is not enough room to get a tube socket on the old glow plug.  Just tried the easy one on no1 cylinder but it doesn’t want to budge, so I tried to remove the whole unit and it wants to stay !!  I guess there is a special tool ? Don’t want to break anything so if anyone can give me a heads up that would be great.

Cheers

Dave

A couple of photos, I guess similar to USA TD6 except this is pure diesel with glow plugs instead of petrol start.

D69DB9A1-8E0C-4BAB-AE4A-9A34A443409D.jpeg

669E53A5-A807-4358-BA15-59972F34E4E8.jpeg

Dave....on the assumption that the original    issue glow plugs have all run their race...I   had a 'cheapo'  socket...ground down to fit on the hex....and, of course 'broke'  the glow plug  down to allow the socket to fit .....(this being a regular  socket...not a long reach..)...either that  or snip a tiny bit off the injector body ...with a strategically placed cutting disc.....either or  , will save you frustrating hours getting those bloody things out....They could have been in there since 1960...!!!

...as for the injector body ...loosen the two nuts off , that hold the injector body down....and fire up the engine...its messy...and noisy...then shut down   and proceed to the next one..(retighten    #1...because once it is 'loose''  it will give up  next time...and the removal is simple....)

I used the Toyota Land Cruiser  glow plugs on both the   BD 264 and BD   281 engines..makes a huge difference

...and @mmi...those are four  cylinder  engines 

Mike

Edit >  BTW, Dave, I have yet to ''go home '' since speaking to you. last....Continuous work here at the Station.......

12 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Dave....on the assumption that the original    issue glow plugs have all run their race...I   had a 'cheapo'  socket...ground down to fit on the hex....and, of course 'broke'  the glow plug  down to allow the socket to fit .....(this being a regular  socket...not a long reach..)...either that  or snip a tiny bit off the injector body ...with a strategically placed cutting disc.....either or  , will save you frustrating hours getting those bloody things out....They could have been in there since 1960...!!!

...as for the injector body ...loosen the two nuts off , that hold the injector body down....and fire up the engine...its messy...and noisy...then shut down   and proceed to the next one..(retighten    #1...because once it is 'loose''  it will give up  next time...and the removal is simple....)

I used the Toyota Land Cruiser  glow plugs on both the   BD 264 and BD   281 engines..makes a huge difference

...and @mmi...those are four  cylinder  engines 

Mike

Edit >  BTW, Dave, I have yet to ''go home '' since speaking to you. last....Continuous work here at the Station.......

Thanks Mike I like the idea of grinding down a socket, will give that a try. Three of those original glow plugs work so if I can save them I will by grinding a tube socket. The new kit I have has Toyota glow plugs with new inserts and they are connected in parallel, by passing the resister so they all get twelve volts. Should be good 😊 You are correct of course the BD264 is 4 cylinders, my photography hid the last injector, sorry Mmi…..

I thought you must have still been away Mike……sent you an email about a week ago about the BTD6 exhaust manifold, but it’s all sorted now we welded up the hole and it seems to be fine.

Dave

The ground down socket worked, got all four hold down sleeves removed, and three glow plugs out. The fourth is being a bit stubborn in the hole with carbon build up, so it’s soaking in CRC. I now know why there are no used glow plugs available for the BD264 you have to wreck them to get them out !!! 🤠

My 150B was changed before I bought it, to a D301 engine (glow plug diesel) I don't remember all the details but 20 years or so ago my momentary switch stuck on my glow plugs and burned them up I guess. I was able to get replacements at a Komatsu dealer. They changed out without too much trouble, lucky I guess?

Good luck with that fourth bugger.

Got that stubborn glow plug out today, after soaking it in auto transmission fluid for a few days, and I made up a clamp to lock on to the top of the glow plug with an attachment to a slide hammer.  I am pleased to say it reluctantly popped out at last. 👍 Was starting to think removal of the head was going to be required, but not this time  !!!

so now a good clean up, before fitting the the new kit.

• Like 1