Jump to content

Speed limiters


Lazy WP
 Share

Recommended Posts

down here, primemovers are speed limited to 100kmh

 

but having said that , i have been overtaken by a semi with a the speed limited  sign on it, whilst doing 100kmh 😄

so , they might have the limiter      not necessarily is it used.......

our highway speed limit is 110 or 100kmh          depends on the road

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cjf711 said:

Im not sure what would be bad about auto speed limiting all vehicles.  Cars trucks everything. And i would make it variable based on weather and road conditions.

If you want to race your car,  go to the race track, or drag strip or whatever you like.   Speed limiters would be controlled by GPS.

 

I'm not advocating for trucks going 90 mph. This issue should be left to the State's. The Feds need to stay out of this. In some state's such as MT. ID.70 mph for trucks.  Eastern Oregon It's a waste of time to be held to 60 mph when you're out in BFE no where.. States such as  ID/MT. do it right at 70 mph for trucks. SD. now that's even better

If you prefer to drive 60 go for it. Personally I fudge a little bit here and there but i'm not driving aggressively. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May have told the story before but....

My buddy at work went for a test ride with a customer who was having a repetitive driveability issue on his truck.

This guy didn't have a passenger side seat in the truck, so buddy was sitting in the bunk with his laptop hooked up to the truck, customer was driving.

They got out on the freeway bob-tail, and the customer gave it the beans.... Matt, sitting in the bunk was paying attention to the computer.... until he had vehicle speed on the screen and seen 124 MPH... thought he found a problem, until he looked out the windshield and realized it was reading correctly. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cattech said:

May have told the story before but....

My buddy at work went for a test ride with a customer who was having a repetitive driveability issue on his truck.

This guy didn't have a passenger side seat in the truck, so buddy was sitting in the bunk with his laptop hooked up to the truck, customer was driving.

They got out on the freeway bob-tail, and the customer gave it the beans.... Matt, sitting in the bunk was paying attention to the computer.... until he had vehicle speed on the screen and seen 124 MPH... thought he found a problem, until he looked out the windshield and realized it was reading correctly. 

I saw in an Alice Springs (Australia) newspaper report years ago of a highway blitz where they got a truck at 197 km/h (122 mph)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

I saw in an Alice Springs (Australia) newspaper report years ago of a highway blitz where they got a truck at 197 km/h (122 mph)

NT    didnt have a speed limit at one stage, dont know, if it was just light vehicles along with trucks or just cars  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ozfarm said:

NT    didnt have a speed limit at one stage, dont know, if it was just light vehicles along with trucks or just cars  

IIRC if you got nailed back then you were on "dangerous driving" and had to prove you weren't. 

Last time I drove there the limit was a modest 140kmh.  Now down to 130 (80 mph) or less on the open road.

With their distances they are getting close to the description of the US reduction from 70 mph to 55 mph as "Taking the crossing of Texas from a journey to a career"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I bought this truck, the speed limiter was set at 68, my brothers Pete was at 71. We bumped the Pete to 78 with the stipulation that if I got a ticket, I would be governed back to 71. 
Lisa wouldn’t let me open this one all the way. Not sure where the limiters set at, but it will do 98 going down the west side of Elk Mountain, where it’s nice and straight and you can see for miles. 
I am getting old I guess. I don’t run the speed limit across South Dakota or most of Wyoming. 75 is plenty fast anymore 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

When I bought this truck, the speed limiter was set at 68, my brothers Pete was at 71. We bumped the Pete to 78 with the stipulation that if I got a ticket, I would be governed back to 71. 
Lisa wouldn’t let me open this one all the way. Not sure where the limiters set at, but it will do 98 going down the west side of Elk Mountain, where it’s nice and straight and you can see for miles. 
I am getting old I guess. I don’t run the speed limit across South Dakota or most of Wyoming. 75 is plenty fast anymore 


I think it’s age. It got me to. I would set the cruise at 75 to 80 on my long runs depending on what state I was in. And I’d push it harder than that if the opportunity presented itself. Now like you, I feel 75 is plenty fast. When I get out to the panhandles of ok and tx I’m thinking they owe me some money for all those tickets I had to pay 20 years ago. Now the speed limit is every bit as much as they were writing me tickets for

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TEXAS, most freeways limit trucks to the same speed as cars BUT if you travel from Dallas area to El Paso, you can expect to be run over by drivers at 80 + MPH including trucks.  The practical speed limit is there is no enforcement by the locals or State.  Basically it is not safe to be on I20 I10 or I30 after dark out in the Country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First thing I do is get a laptop hooked up and see what parameters I can change to suit me. 

I always have the speed limiter set to 99 or off if possible. 

Not that I use it but for a few hills to get a run at. 

Or pass someone in the few safe places I have available.

But then I don't drive on the big multilanes that you guys do. 

Two lane 65 mph limit but most troopers or counties will give you to 70.

Above that it depends on their mood that night.  

I set the cruise on 68 because it is nice to top a hill or round a corner, see the telltale reflector tape of a trooper sitting in the dark and not have my heart skip a beat😄

Bringing 8500 gallons of gas to a safe stop if something goes south has a say in it too...........

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

we have had our speed limited to 105 km/hr in Quebec and Ontario for about 15 years. They took the research from Europe I believe to justify it. At the time I was as pi$$ed as the next guy but now I don't care but 120 would be nice to go around a slow poke. I used to set the cruise at 117 and drive past radar with no problems

With the caliber of new drivers on the road it looks like a good decision. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2022 at 3:37 PM, cjf711 said:

Im not sure what would be bad about auto speed limiting all vehicles.  Cars trucks everything. And i would make it variable based on weather and road conditions.

If you want to race your car,  go to the race track, or drag strip or whatever you like.   Speed limiters would be controlled by GPS and Geofencing.

 

Sounds lovely…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Does anyone really think that the FEDS really care about what those affected have to say, especially when the overwhelming majority of those commenting oppose the idea?  If there are ever any public forums on this, those attending, who oppose the idea, and vocalize their opposition, may well end up having the FBI 'investigate' them, as was, and is being done to those parents who spoke out against what is being taught in some school districts.

You saw for yourselves how the truckers protest was 'spun' by the MEDIA, and law enforcement when Canadian and US truckers attempted to address their respective governments with their concerns.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Does anyone really think that the FEDS really care about what those affected have to say, especially when the overwhelming majority of those commenting oppose the idea?  If there are ever any public forums on this, those attending, who oppose the idea, and vocalize their opposition, may well end up having the FBI 'investigate' them, as was, and is being done to those parents who spoke out against what is being taught in some school districts.

You saw for yourselves how the truckers protest was 'spun' by the MEDIA, and law enforcement when Canadian and US truckers attempted to address their respective governments with their concerns.

 

Why do you think we are approaching $7.00 for diesel fuel?

With the latest poll showing 75% of the country feels we are going in the wrong direction…. 
Remembering of course that the majority of polls are as accurate as those pesky temperature sensors in the middle of a hot parking lot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Does anyone really think that the FEDS really care about what those affected have to say,

Answered that one with ELD's.

Glad some regs were relaxed under an administration that I can't mention and air miles went up from 100 to 150.

No ELD's, no log books just time on duty and time off duty.

Makes my little part time driving job more enjoyable for sure.

And with less time spent on beaurocratic book work, I get more time in bed which makes me a............

..............wait for it........     

                        SAFER DRIVER!!!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 4:25 PM, Ian Beale said:

IIRC if you got nailed back then you were on "dangerous driving" and had to prove you weren't. 

Last time I drove there the limit was a modest 140kmh.  Now down to 130 (80 mph) or less on the open road.

With their distances they are getting close to the description of the US reduction from 70 mph to 55 mph as "Taking the crossing of Texas from a journey to a career"

or just a nice drive across wa to the border 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Remembering of course that the majority of polls are as accurate as those pesky temperature sensors in the middle of a hot parking lot.

This is why I find it so hard to believe that the MEDIA actually shows the 'low' approval numbers of a certain basement dweller in Washington D.C.

One would think that they, who control  the flow of 'information' (how would we ever know which Hollywierd 'star' s**t the bed, if it weren't for the MEDIA's 'reporting'), would INFLATE the approval numbers, by at least 20-25 points, to assure the 'peasants' that "all is well".

On the other hand, perhaps the approval numbers being 'reported' ARE 20-25 points higher than they actually are, knowing that the MEDIA has a 'job' to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

This is why I find it so hard to believe that the MEDIA actually shows the 'low' approval numbers of a certain basement dweller in Washington D.C.

One would think that they, who control  the flow of 'information' (how would we ever know which Hollywierd 'star' s**t the bed, if it weren't for the MEDIA's 'reporting'), would INFLATE the approval numbers, by at least 20-25 points, to assure the 'peasants' that "all is well".

On the other hand, perhaps the approval numbers being 'reported' ARE 20-25 points higher than they actually are, knowing that the MEDIA has a 'job' to do.

Reminds me of the Twitter deal. Twitter exec’s say less than 5% are bots, while Elon suspects 20-90% are… big discrepancies with these numbers. And IF it’s 20-90% “bots”, what’s the real value? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Reminds me of the Twitter deal. Twitter exec’s say less than 5% are bots, while Elon suspects 20-90% are… big discrepancies with these numbers. And IF it’s 20-90% “bots”, what’s the real value? 

Being a lawyer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 10:42 AM, ozfarm said:

down here, primemovers are speed limited to 100kmh

 

but having said that , i have been overtaken by a semi with a the speed limited  sign on it, whilst doing 100kmh 😄

so , they might have the limiter      not necessarily is it used.......

our highway speed limit is 110 or 100kmh          depends on the road

I'm not sure that using them is a driver option.  A friend bought a new Volvo truck which was limited to 100 km.  He pointed out that here in Queensland he was allowed 110 km.  The answer was to work out a legal residence in the NT and get it done there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every so often if my truck is down I’ll borrow a friend’s newer kenworth. It’s an elog truck but I’m able to use the 8/30 exemption to run paper. He’s got it tuned to 600, still full emission compliant, with a 72 mph restriction. I find myself sometimes glad it’s restricted running a light load on two lanes!! But I also get frustrated when the signs say 75, and I can’t keep up. My truck is really only limited by rpm. My gps keeps a high score, but it’s not triple digits lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bureaucracy is likely to propose a Truck and Car Speed Limit to control inflation

 They will claim "Slower speeds will increase MPG saving the consumer money"

What's old is new expect another national speed limit

55 will be back 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speed limiters won't pan out.

They have the technology in every new vehicle sold to determine the local maximum speed limit and prevent the vehicle from exceeding it. It could be automatic adjustmented for road conditions, traffic, etc. This could improve vehicle safety.

However it won't happen.

Too many governments would loose too much income from speeding tickets.

When I was a teenager the speed limit was the double nickle. If i drove 57 on the Muskogee turnpike in Oklahoma I was pretty well guaranteed a speeding ticket and lecture on how unsafe I was for being a speed demon. 

Now the maximum speed limit is 80 and the minimum is 55. 

It's all about money and everything else is bovine excrement!!!

Thx-Ace 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...