Putting a d301 into a 856

I recently bought a 856 gas that is probably going to need a engine in the near future. The tractor has the c301 gas. I know that the diesel should be a d407 but they are kind of expensive and hard to find. The tractor will not be used hard just to occasionally load a few things with the loader. I have a d301 out of a 715 combine. Would it be possible to easily install it in the 856? Would some items like the rear plate and flywheel interchange with the gas engine. I realize there are some other things that would need to be changed like fuel lines, throttle linkage, air cleaner etc but I was thinking most of that should be obtained from a early 706 diesel with the 282 engine. I know it's not the best option but it would be a cheap way to get the tractor to be a diesel

I'm reasonably sure the rear plate is the same, because the D282/301 block is the same externally as the C263/291/301 block, and as I recall the 706D's have a thin back plate on the D282s. Flywheel might be balanced differently but you can get one from a 706 easily enough. Just speculating on the flywheel though.

Might need a different starter. What's the one they recommend putting on a 560 to crank the 282 over faster? I'd use that one.

It would sure be a unique machine and sure better than the alternative. Go like stink too if you leave the combine governor in it (3000 RPM?).

combine governor will be fine, very little difference on a Roosa DB, hi idle on my Roosa spec is 2835, 2600 rated, an 856 is 2400 rated, hi idle 2640. It could easily be slowed down, but I'd rework the pump to boost the hp and torque rise up in the 856 so it's not too underpowered. Would be about the same as a 301 gas in it was, wouldn't it?

Not worried about power. The tractor will never be used in the field. Just for lifting mainly. 

19 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

This by chance the 856 narrow front w/ a boom, that was advertised on Facebook, had a bad 301 gas engine?  23.1-34 rear rubber?

Yes you are correct

7 minutes ago, caseih2388 said:

Yes you are correct

I recall seeing that one advertised, tractor looked pretty straight, the big rear tires are what caught my eye.

29 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

I recall seeing that one advertised, tractor looked pretty straight, the big rear tires are what caught my eye.

I had been watching it for a while. Finally got the price down a little bit so I pulled the trigger.

2 hours ago, caseih2388 said:

Yes you are correct

Dang, I have been on the hunt for an 856 gas and was looking at that one but didn't want to pull the trigger on it until crops are in. If you decide to go a different direction let me know.

2 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Dang, I have been on the hunt for an 856 gas and was looking at that one but didn't want to pull the trigger on it until crops are in. If you decide to go a different direction let me know.

Anything is possible. I won't be able to pick it up till after we have the crop in too. Might be a while, it seems like it likes to rain here lately.

How bad is the gas engine? They are pretty sweet when properly tuned and not totally worn out. If you are just going to idle around the yard and use it to pick stuff up and put it down, the gas engine would be ideal.

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

How bad is the gas engine? They are pretty sweet when properly tuned and not totally worn out. If you are just going to idle around the yard and use it to pick stuff up and put it down, the gas engine would be ideal.

The block has been cracked externally. It was repaired somehow but not sure how long it'll last. Maybe forever maybe next week. Also I'm somewhat of a diesel nut hahaha.

5 minutes ago, caseih2388 said:

The block has been cracked externally. It was repaired somehow but not sure how long it'll last. Maybe forever maybe next week. Also I'm somewhat of a diesel nut hahaha.

Ok, well as long as you don’t try to put a cum-apart engine in it. 

10 minutes ago, caseih2388 said:

You'd be miles ahead to just buy a diesel then to convert it. Plus those 856 gassers are pretty rare.

If you do put the D301 in it, install the distributor from the C301 to run the tach drive, and run some fake plug wires. Not my original idea, someone else did it and I thought it was a pretty fun idea just to mess with people.

I was looking at the d301 tonight. The front cover does not have the mounts for tractor frame rails so that would have to be switched but I would think that would be the same from a d282 and should be easily obtained.