Aftermarket backup cameras

wild one

I soon hope to be getting my 95 f250 powerstoke in and putting my rust free cab and box on it. I was thinking at that time of installing a wired backup camera for hooking up bumper hitch trailers. I have a couple newer trucks with the backup cameras that sure make hookups a lot easier. I always thought it would be nice if one could switch the cameras on anytime just to check on the load or to just see whats behind when going down the road. I was thinking of hooking the camera to just a toggle switch or toggle and backup lights. Might even need a higher mount camera or something!!  Anyone have anything that has worked well for them? My daughter gave me a ride in her new Jeep Wagoneer the other day. As she was backing out a narrow drive way I think that thing had six different camera angles, which was great as there was a bunch of small kids in the area. Might have to put a camera on the old dump truck too!!

I've got a cheap camera off Amazon in my track skid steer that's on all the time. Been 7 or 8 years now and it's held up extremely well given the harsh environment it lives in. Some of the infrared bulbs are starting to go but I got a spare camera for it when I bought it. I bought a wireless one with 2 cameras and am putting it in the air seeder right now. If it works good I will get one that you can have all 4 cameras on one screen on the 9 inch monitor. There's so many different options out there for cameras. All different sizes of monitor and cameras. Just gotta look and buy one and hope it works lol. A&I handles the Cab Cam brand, which are more money but I think a pretty decent product. They're a heavier duty product

• Thanks 1

I bought a kit from a truck accessory shop. Screen is in the rear view mirror, camera just above the license plate, wired into the reverse lights. I can back up to the trailer and get out of the truck once! Also nice for backing into spots.

8 hours ago, db1486 said:

I've got a cheap camera off Amazon in my track skid steer that's on all the time. Been 7 or 8 years now and it's held up extremely well given the harsh environment it lives in. Some of the infrared bulbs are starting to go but I got a spare camera for it when I bought it. I bought a wireless one with 2 cameras and am putting it in the air seeder right now. If it works good I will get one that you can have all 4 cameras on one screen on the 9 inch monitor. There's so many different options out there for cameras. All different sizes of monitor and cameras. Just gotta look and buy one and hope it works lol. A&I handles the Cab Cam brand, which are more money but I think a pretty decent product. They're a heavier duty product

That's a great idea, I'm going to look into that for the guys at work

I bought one of these two years ago when I got my window-less van.  It works just fine for me.  I don't use it as much as I thought - the van has really good mirrors - but it's nice to know if there's anything directly behind me when I back out of parking space, and exactly how close I am when backing in to a tight spot.  I don't tow anything but this camera would be nice for that too.

I mounted the camera to my trailer hitch with a really strong magnet.  I did not go wireless since it was easy to run the wire through the unfinished interior.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKPQ6YZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Brother has a Mercedes Fancy Car that has a 360 camera he says can see the roof of his garage. This technology is on transit buses and some construction equipment.

Cost could be an issue.  For years I had a backup camera on our camper van but takes getting used to, to  aid in connecting a trailer so I currently do not use a backup camera BUT I fully intend to get a system on a Transit Bus based RV we have in progress because it has about an acre of dead space around it!!. Being very tall, overhead clearance will always be an issue on back roads that I intend to travel on.

I would get the largest  screen that can be fitted into the vehicle. a little 5" display isn't worth much as a camera display.  Our new system will be a laptop display at least 21 inches. The benefit of 8' of dash availability on a Gillig Bus.