If you think you are having a bad day…

A customer who just purchased a house in town asked us to come look at a couple things that were concerning him. I was sort of marveling at the total lack of “stuff” . He said they had filled a 53’ moving trailer to move from Texas. There was some issue on the road and the entire trailer burned causing a total loss of their worldly possessions.
that sucks any way you look at it.  

• Sad 9

Hope any family heirlooms like pictures and such were carried in a personal vehicle. 

If not, then damn, really hurts. 

• Like 2

If we moved, and we won't..... I think I would put all her stuff in one truck and haul my stuff myself. Then...... if....and only if.... the same kind of thing happened.....we would have tons of room in the new place!🤭

That really sucks, I hope some stuff was salvageable and maybe some kind of insurance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Hope any family heirlooms like pictures and such were carried in a personal vehicle. 

If not, then damn, really hurts. 

Thats what he said, photographs, documents, the whole 9 yards. I assume everything was insured, but never the less, i figure they must have had the most important stuff to them in there and the rest gone off somewhere. Sounded like he may have been divorced at one point, so hopefully his ex has some kids memories. 

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

A customer who just purchased a house in town asked us to come look at a couple things that were concerning him. I was sort of marveling at the total lack of “stuff” . He said they had filled a 53’ moving trailer to move from Texas. There was some issue on the road and the entire trailer burned causing a total loss of their worldly possessions.

Why butt why would you move TO Vt …? 

• Haha 3

Exactly what my buddy said when he was going for his cancer treatments when you start feeling sorry for yourself you had a pretty good kick at the can then look over at a 5 yr old who barely got out of the gates

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

If ever you think you’re having a bad day, go to a children’s hospital and just look around. It will put things in perspective pretty quick. 

There is a HUGE amount of truth to that!!!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Exactly what my buddy said when he was going for his cancer treatments when you start feeling sorry for yourself you had a pretty good kick at the can then look over at a 5 yr old who barely got out of the gates

My son spent 62 days in the NICU at children’s mercy hospital in Kansas City. I felt sorry for myself when they said he would have to be in intensive care. When I went to visit him for the first time, I felt lucky after looking around on my way to his bed. Gut-wrenching does not even begin to describe it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

My son spent 62 days in the NICU at children’s mercy hospital in Kansas City. I felt sorry for myself when they said he would have to be in intensive care. When I went to visit him for the first time, I felt lucky after looking around on my way to his bed. Gut-wrenching does not even begin to describe it. 

Our youngest daughter spent a month in KU Med Center back in '85.  You're so right.  She came out of her situation fine, but some of the other kids in there - brain tumors, all kinds of bad stuff, and lots of parents who couldn't be bothered to even come and visit their little ones.  Our daughter never spent a night there without a relative (usually my blonde redhead) being there with her.  Priorities.

• Like 4

Double post.

4 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Why butt why would you move TO Vt …? 

Compared to Texas??!!?

Well, it's GORGEOUS for one. The climate is humane for living, for two. There's a lot of rural, for three. The land includes elevation change, for yet another reason. There are actual by-goodness trees.

There's actually a law banning (ugly, useless, archaic, obnoxious) billboards.

Holy cow, I could keep going... No tornadoes. No droughts.

Most places seem weird relative to home, but I could do Vermont. I don't care for their politics by and large. But hey, New York State has been my home most of my life and it hasn't ruined me yet

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

If ever you think you’re having a bad day, go to a children’s hospital and just look around. It will put things in perspective pretty quick. 

Exactly I had a guy tell me that he had cancer and was fighting it going into Boston to Dana farber  cancer center. And he told me he hoped he beat it but he was in his 70’s and lived a life but seeing young children with the same thing he had bothered him he said I have had a good life how bad is it for them I got sick in my 70’s there were kids there under 1 year old that had cancer. He said he told the Dr help them I’ve had a good life they haven’t yet. A month later he was Dead.  

• Sad 3

...good friend of mine was discing hill country with a Cat D5...Jimmy  always 'pushed the envelope'...and one day rolled the D5..He spent months in hospital...got to the point he was so pissed off he started to annoy the nursing staff..

One day the Ward Sister had had enough...She put Jimmy into a wheel chair...told him..''today you are going to have a change of wards '..this was 7.00 am   She wheeled him into the kiddies Cancer ward   (Christchurch    Hospital, NZ )...he had to stay there all day...

He gets a bit emotional when recounting that story......he said after seeing those poor liitle blokes and girls  slipping away, without as much as a murmur....he never again complained about his situation,,never  ever....

Mike

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KWRB said:

Compared to Texas??!!?

Well, it's GORGEOUS for one. The climate is humane for living, for two. There's a lot of rural, for three. The land includes elevation change, for yet another reason. There are actual by-goodness trees.

There's actually a law banning (ugly, useless, archaic, obnoxious) billboards.

Holy cow, I could keep going... No tornadoes. No droughts.

Most places seem weird relative to home, but I could do Vermont. I don't care for their politics by and large. But hey, New York State has been my home most of my life and it hasn't ruined me yet

You nailed everything good with Vt.

The bad about Vt is it’s government. From top to bottom. The destruction these people have done to agriculture is horrendous. The lack of a stable business environment has burdened the taxpayers with an exorbitant amount of taxes.

The infrastructure is literally falling apart and they seem more concerned about the latest headline grabbing news then they do about repairing anything. 

12 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

you got that right , the past year i've spent more than enough time in a couple but things are getting better 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

The infrastructure is literally falling apart and they seem more concerned about the latest headline grabbing news then they do about repairing anything. 

So true, sensationalism sells, and, as Mr. Albaton from The Bash used to say "bread and circuses", 'i.e., the pabulum that the MEDIA uses to keep the 'peasants' entertained.  Headlines about the trials and tribulations of the Hollywierd elites, and sports 'stars', when 99+ percent of the 'educated' couldn't tell you the name of their congressional representative, or figure out how to operate a dial phone, if they were handed one.

They talk about "Freedom of Speech" and 'censorship', when it is the MEDIA themselves who decide what is 'newsworthy', and how it is presented.  And this is why I say that the MEDIA IS the second greatest threat to the Constitution, and OUR Freedom that we face.

And the drivel that is passed off as 'newsworthy' extends right down to the local 'newspaper' right here in BFT, with its failure to even mention election results, OR the outcome of the ONE interesting criminal trial of the last few years here in the county, BUT we do get page after page devoted to local columnists telling us about life in their neck of the woods (little NO horse towns, that have ZERO businesses, well, two do have post offices,), and the 'local' obituaries may well include someone who passed through here on the second of June, 1964, or an "Notice of Estray", in which the county sheriff describes the animal in question as a "MALE COW".

No, the "tipping point" has been reached, AND surpassed, mainly attributable to the MEDIA. To get a real, and descriptive take on what is happening, one has to go to the comics, read Dilbert, Mallard Fillmore, or Pearls Before Swine, and learn that, yes, "In humor, there is truth'"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Went to a yard sale recently advertised as a moving sale. I asked them where they were going and they said back to Vermont. I looked around saw a Prius with Vt plates. Everything they had was "high end" right down to the made in China stickers. I didn't find anything to buy.

7 hours ago, int 504 said:

Went to a yard sale recently advertised as a moving sale. I asked them where they were going and they said back to Vermont. I looked around saw a Prius with Vt plates. Everything they had was "high end" right down to the made in China stickers. I didn't find anything to buy.

I wished you told them the Vt they left wasn’t here anymore. Then sent them on to California.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 1:14 PM, vtfireman85 said:

I don’t have much, single no kids etc, but if I get in the mood it’s nice to know I got some memories somewhere around here. (Finding might be another story) I can’t imagine losing it all. Few years ago an ex-girlfriend was going through some stuff and found the canceled check from my first cattle purchase when I was 14. I didn’t know I still had it. I know it’s still around somewhere.
Both times I moved it was 1/4 mile or less. Last time I was moved in less than 2 hours. Hard to loose anything there. 

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

I wished you told them the Vt they left wasn’t here anymore. Then sent them on to California.

F3F29D32-3332-46FB-B1D0-DE4F18BA686D.webp

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

MEDIA

Spend the money for a WSJ subscription. NO far right junk, NO far left junk, pretty much straight reporting. The op-ed page certainly leans right but I'm fine with that.

I drive by Daniel Pearl Magnet High School in LA all the time as it's near Van Nuys  Airport. He was a WSJ reporter beheaded by terrorists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Pearl

He had a bad day.