Getting rid of old electronics

TV’s and similar arent a problem, but currently we have half a dozen or more old cell phones, probably 4 old laptops and a couple old tablets. There are electronics drop offs but something about that creeps me out , i don’t have much for secrets, but I figure there is enough personal info on there that I don’t want some oddball harvesting it. Some of them don’t work at all, maybe it isn’t a concern. Honestly a landfill seems almost safer, but instead i just keep moving them around. 
Whats everyone else doing? 

• Like 1

We have a computer recycling place near us that we take them to. Before that I used to just put a bullet through the hard drive. I don't think anyone can get anything off one then.

• Like 3

I take the hard drive out and taken the torch to it. Even do this to the old floppys and CD's I don't need any more. Once it is a small pile of melted plastic and metals, I doubt if most people can get any information off them. Then I take the rest of the machine to the recycling center.

• Like 1

Take em to the evaporator.... poof !!

HP

• Thanks 1

Most Goodwill's take electronics and participate in a recycling program so any info on the machines stays safe.    A lot of Goodwill's are connected with Dell recycling so that the "E-Waste" doesn't end up in the landfill. 

After looking it appears your local Goodwill has a different program that helps create job opportunities in your community with no long needed electronics. 

https://goodwillnne.org/stores/goodtech/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Digging a new water line, foundation, laying a new slab or sidewalk?

Take a hammer to them, then put the pieces, in different places along the bottom of the trench, or under the concrete.

Just like the "mob boss" in Chicago 🤔, he's not telling any secrets these days 😂😂

Mark

• Haha 3

I wonder if it all is still going to China to be recycled like this?

I just smash with a hammer and send to the landfill its certainly better for the environment than what they do in China 

Amongst the points that the bleeding heart 'journalist' did NOT raise, are:

The "international corporations" who are building these products, ARE doing so IN China, therefore, the root of the problem lies within China, and IS the responsibility of the "Chinee" government to regulate.

next:

So the US government has legalized the export of this electronic waste, which makes one wonder how much sensitive data IS knowingly being exported to our enemy?  IF, HRC can 'scrub' her electronic devices to avoid scrutiny, it should be mandatory to scrub any and all data from any electronic device BEFORE disposing of it.  99 percent of what's on your computer/phone may be totally innocuous, BUT do you really want, a few months from now, to be flooded with pop-up ads, promoting Chinee branded dog food for your puppy, or, "The East IS Red" branded tires for your "Chinee" made SUV?

Wonder how much the 'esteemed investigative 'journalist' PAID those she interviewed to get those tear jerking sob stories.

In a country with a population approaching 2 BILLION, what's a few million more or less, so excuse me, whilst I find someone who gives a ****.

As I said scrub it the HRC way with a hammer and send it to the landfill 

Then it only adds very little damage to the environment i.e. only the fuel for the truck to get to the landfill

All landfills are lined now so there is little chance of the contaminates getting in to the environment as they would in any recycling process 

22 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

In a country with a population approaching 2 BILLION, what's a few million more or less, so excuse me, whilst I find someone who gives a ****.

Your concern for your fellow man is overwhelming!

1 minute ago, New Englander said:

Your concern for your fellow man is overwhelming!

Rightfully earned from seeing/hearing/smelling reality in most of the places I have worked.

And, it is NOT limited to the Third, and Fourth world s***holes that I have been in either.

• Sad 1

Phones: I take out the battery and put it in the microwave for a few seconds. Not the best solution, as it stinks up the house.

Computers: I remove the hard drive, bring computer to recycling location, and either drill or bandsaw the drive. If I had some major secret that someone with serious expertise, time and money really wanted to know, I suppose they could reconstruct them and get part of it out, but my only concern is identity theft and the like. The name of the game there is like any crime perpetuated by lowlife scum: just don't be the easy target and they'll move on! No one is going to raid my chopped up HD for my credit card number.

Actually, now that I think of it, I hope they do. That would be funny to have someone spend the time and energy to max out my limit of $3k!!

Just now, 1586 Jeff said:

He should use his sister-in-laws......

I am not getting between her and food, no sir, no way.