Magneto timing on a WD-6

OLD 10-20

Trying to check the magneto timing on the WD-6 .   Seems the first timing notch does not look like a notch , more of a cross pattern ?   Then it has a clear to see notch on the crank pulley .         Cranked it by hand to hear the impulse trip on # 1  and it trips well after the  notch of the pulley , by just over an inch .       

Could the cross mark actually be  DC  ( dead center ) indication refering to the notch coming up ?   

The manual I am using makes reference to timing the magneto  an inch and a half past the pointer ?     Does this sound right ?    Any replies welcome. 100_0835.JPG.675895f7df3c7c8714fadbfa254da5e4.JPG  

12 hours ago, OLD 10-20 said:

Trying to check the magneto timing on the WD-6 .   Seems the first timing notch does not look like a notch , more of a cross pattern ?   Then it has a clear to see notch on the crank pulley .         Cranked it by hand to hear the impulse trip on # 1  and it trips well after the  notch of the pulley , by just over an inch .       

Could the cross mark actually be  DC  ( dead center ) indication refering to the notch coming up ?   

The manual I am using makes reference to timing the magneto  an inch and a half past the pointer ?     Does this sound right ?    Any replies welcome. 100_0835.JPG.675895f7df3c7c8714fadbfa254da5e4.JPG  

Td,wd 6 should be the same motors I believe, this topic was covered pretty extensively in the construction side here, "when tdc isn't tdc on a td-6. It might give you your information you are looking for, I know those cranks have 2 marks, one for setting up the injection pump, the other tdc. If I remember correctly 🤔. Been ages since I rebuilt my 9. 

Good luck

Mark

Think I found the article your talking about .   Good info there .  And  I never looked past the TDC notch for another possible (M)  magneto marking .  Checking it out. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:02 PM, OLD 10-20 said:

TDC can be found by sticking a straw in the #1 plug hole and rocking the engine in the centre  of TDC , that will point you to the correct mark.