His farmall tried to kill him!

oldtech

I know ive done this a few thousand times and always check to make sure the shifter is in neutral but all it takes is once!

Interesting that my older Massey 85 has starter lockout on the shifters tho.

https://fox11online.com/news/state/tractor-runs-over-man-dodge-county-town-clyman-airlifted-hospital-serious-injuries?fbclid=IwAR3v9K2WUAS9wtOFroKGtM3NKALCYh3dpz0_acpZoNTOgm4RRDr_TR5LbNY 

• Sad 1

Incidents such as that is why I always start the tractor with me in the seat first. 

• Like 4

I only recently found that the clutch safety on my 786 has been disabled. I've always started it in park with my foot on the clutch but happened to turn the key without the foot and found the switch bypassed. It's on my list. I'm not a fan of bypassing safety items.

Happened to my buddy with his Case 1370 last summer, tire just brushed him and knocked him out of the way, they had been using the FEL to help building his wife's greenhouse which was almost finished,  mowed it flat, thankfully she was going to get more materials when it occurred, then it was getting up dusting yourself off and getting on an un manned machine, lucky reminder and could have ended so much worse 

my uncle Mike was run over by a Cat road grader starting it with the pony motor

he pulled threw but his head looked like a foot ball

lived to 82 yrs old

Mike

As a rule I will not start anything from the ground. Once in a while I get in a hurry and do it though. I cringe when I see people do it on a daily basis though. Neighbor almost got ran over when he had to jump start the tractor off the solenoid with a screwdriver.  I helped him bring it home from the auction and cringed when he did that with the tractor parked in front of the restaurant lol. Wasn’t more then a couple weeks later it happened in his garage. Took out a wall and his overhead door. Lucky it didn’t take him out. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, oldtech said:

I know ive done this a few thousand times and always check to make sure the shifter is in neutral but all it takes is once!

Interesting that my older Massey 85 has starter lockout on the shifters tho.

During harvest and hauling we start our tractors from the ground too but they all have either/both clutch and transmission safety switch’s. They are not antiques 

Still not the safest but I do it from the steps. I probably would to do it all the time from the ground but usually have to climb up to check it’s in neutral so I just do it there. I had one once, can’t remember if it was a truck or tractor, that I climbed onto steps but didn’t check. Luckily I released the starter before it fired. I felt it rock and that gave me a little scare. 

• Like 1

I know a fellow that had a remote start/stop switch on the control platform of his Ford F600 boom truck.

While servicing it inside his shop one night it he started it up from the platform expecting it to be in neutral.  I can only imagine his surprise as it trundled through the closed overhead door!!!

• Sad 1

To me its like wearing a seat belt,  driving without a seat belt feels naked to me because its an ingrained habit from when i was a little kid,   Same way with starting a tractor from the ground,  it has a naked and exposed for no good reason feeling about it.   Seems to happen all the time though....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike H said:

my uncle Mike was run over by a Cat road grader starting it with the pony motor

he pulled threw but his head looked like a foot ball

lived to 82 yrs old

Mike

Having the pleasure of operating a number 12 with a pony I can definitely see that happening. I always make sure BOTH shift levers are in neutral before I even attempt to start the pony. If I don't remember checking I walk around just to make sure.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Having the pleasure of operating a number 12 with a pony I can definitely see that happening. I always make sure BOTH shift levers are in neutral before I even attempt to start the pony. If I don't remember checking I walk around just to make sure.

Were those early Model 12s?

The reason that I ask is because the Model 12 that we had was equipped with inside the cab starting controls.   Presumably this was a later model machine, but I cannot tell you what the serial number was and it is now gone.

8 hours ago, New Englander said:

I only recently found that the clutch safety on my 786 has been disabled. I've always started it in park with my foot on the clutch but happened to turn the key without the foot and found the switch bypassed. It's on my list. I'm not a fan of bypassing safety items.

Your 786 should have 2 safety switches, one on the clutch and one when it’s in park.you can test it by putting it in neutral and try to start it without pushing in the clutch. If it doesn’t start then you know the park switch is working,if it does start you know that somebody has bypassed the clutch switch on the firewall.

I’m not a big fan of the safety switches on clutches, I prefer either neutral switches and or park switches. 
  Sometimes people will start a tractor with a clutch safety switch and then let the clutch out and forget to check and make sure it’s in neutral, then the tractor will lunge forward or reverse!

Had a neighbour that went to shut off his tractor one time, he reached in to turn off the key and he accidentally hit the shuttle lever and put it in forward. The tractor moved ahead and caught his foot under the wheel and knocked him down and drove up his leg then his hip, his ribs and his shoulder just missing his head! He said he could hear his bones breaking as the tractor ran over him! He had to have a few surgeries to get “glued” back together!

• Sad 2

I'm not really sure of the year but I think its late 40s. The operating controls for the pony are right on the right side of the machine, I actually sit on the front rear, bogie wheels, when I start it. We were blessed to have a good pony when we bought the grader.  All it took was a carb cleaning and some fresh gas to get it running. The previous owner never used it because he didn't like the idea of being in by the tires so he just tow started it. I'm not a big fan of it either but I seldom have help and the pony works so I use it and be very careful

• Like 1

One thing I like about transmission park lock and living on hills.Nothing is flat driveways,fields etc.So you always have to put it in park and your park lock better work or your either get run over or it runs way even if it's only a few feet.So you gotta keep them working.I don't like starting stuff standing on the ground either but a IH with the park lock working and down is pretty safe.I cringe when you see people doing stuff to tractors that they really don't know what their doing.I do and agree with tractorman Mike, I double check before I hit the switch. 

8 hours ago, hardtail said:

Happened to my buddy with his Case 1370 last summer, tire just brushed him and knocked him out of the way, they had been using the FEL to help building his wife's greenhouse which was almost finished,  mowed it flat, thankfully she was going to get more materials when it occurred, then it was getting up dusting yourself off and getting on an un manned machine, lucky reminder and could have ended so much worse 

A runaway 1370 would be a pretty serious deal.

Friend was trying to start his 2290. I told him to sort out the starting problems but he just used to bridge the solenoid. One day he had parked it tight between other machinery. Had to  climb over to get to the starter. Power shift was in 1st so was gearshift. It started and went forward. He had no way out. He was pretty lucky there was a big tree in front that stopped it. He said it just sat there with front and rear wheels digging holes. I’m surprised it didn’t stall but it was at part throttle.  He managed to climb over the hood somehow to get to the other side to shut the engine off.  He was very lucky. He did fix the starting problem after that!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We lost our IH shop foreman this way.

And it was an IH that got him.

RIP Bill Alexander

Please, be careful!

Got bit by my dad's Ford 4000 some years ago. That was the first time I hadn't checked the gear shift since I though I was the last one on it. Was the fastest that sucker ever started and got my ass up just in time. Since then I don't recall starting a tractor from the ground...

• Like 1

When I worked at Grinnell Implement, we lost a customer when he shorted the starter on his 884 w' loader.  He had his granddaughter on the seat with the clutch held down, but it was in gear when She released it...... he passed away quickly. 

• Sad 2

My Grandpa got ran over and killed by his John Deere G.  It was running in gear and he wanted to move it forward slightly.  He pushed the hand clutch forward some and it went far enough to snap in.  He couldn't snap it back out at that angle and it knocked him over, then ran over him.  

• Sad 1

I've had a tire pull my jacket before. I learned, should have never done it in the first place. 

One other time, don't know what even happened, but uncle pulled the 886 down to the shop with the mower on the back. He went in the shop, all of a sudden it sounded like grinding gears, looked up and it was going across the yard. Stopped it two feet short of the power pole. 

Old Cat 14 grader I was around pony started from in the cab. Had a pony start D7 that some idiot got headed down a too steep slope sideways. He turned it and got it stopped but then he shut it off. Too steep for gas to feed from pony tank. I pulled it up over with D8 that didn't even know it was there. Government man was upset about the tracks across the road. Drove brand new grousers full depth through the pavement. Took care of people speeding through the job site.

I have had a runaway mower!  New driver said he was an operator. After a few hours mowing he came back to the nurse truck for a drink.  He stopped by using the clutch stepped off the tractor turning lose the clutch and we had a run away mower, luckily he cleared the tractor completely when he exited the running board and we were in 25 acres. It was in LL at just above idle speed. I stepped onboard and stopped the machine.  Just another day with hired help.

Another one, that I always remember:  I had been driving for several hours in a self contained RV, it was time for a pee-call. I pulled of to the side of the freeway. Left the drivers seat and hit the head. When I came back to the drivers seat I discovered that I had left the engine running, tranny in drive and the emergency brake not set.  Fortunately a nice flat road! 

• Haha 1