Where is Elon's Semi?

jeeper61

Interesting a max range of 199 miles.  Im ignorant on this so I wonder what real world range is in varying condition.  I also wonder if there is any fade in battery life as the batteries age. 

I would also think resale is limited with such a limited range.  Kind of like resale of a home in the 55+ community around here that always sell at a substantial discount vs a regular neighborhood.  

It seems like Lazy wp runs 200 miles before breakfast.  These electric trucks are only for city type local deliveries at this point.  They should make a yard jockey truck it they don't already.  That would be a great application for electric power.

5 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

LTL local runs would be ideal for electric semi. Resale isn’t really important if the truck is depreciated. 

Resale would be important to me if I didn't intend to run it to the end.  Maybe the large corporations that will buy these things don't care.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Resale would be important to me if I didn't intend to run it to the end.  Maybe the large corporations that will buy these things don't care.

Interesting, I wonder what the resale returns are on fleet vehicles for large corporations. I know most have some replacement schedule, seems like a (5?) year old semi probably brings a fair amount on the used market. 

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

too much $$$$$ at the govt trough....... did you EVER see a ups, fed x, late usps non govt mtrs for sale?

3 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

There isn't going to be much choice in Europe they drank the whole pitcher of Kool-Aide 

Gonna be a lot of people going hungry, and cold, in the dark.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jass1660 said:

I dont have access to internal company info, but I'd be a betting man that if one did you would find that these EV projects have ZERO expectation of profit anytime soon and are simply an appeasement to the media and public. 

I get into arguments with EV people all the time about range.  Way it is now I could barely drive (and pray you dont get stuck in traffic) to pittsburgh and back on a charge which is a common trip for people around here.

When I can drive 500 miles, take 10 minutes for a  stop and be good for another 500 miles I'll buy an EV.......

• Like 2

I had my first ride in a Tesla last week. Our SFO mechanic's ancient Mercedes finally gave up with a half million miles on it so he bought a used Dual motor Tesla. It's got all the bells and whistles. He only needs a commuter car and has a free charging station at the airport. California has thousands of Teslas so there's a good used market. It's a '20, has 3 year warranty. Electronics are amazing and the acceleration is unlike any gas car - noiseless and pins you in the seat.

Range figures are for a 100% battery charge yet advice is to charge to 80% and discharge to 20%, so the real world range is less than the advertised range but still about 200 miles so perfectly adequate for him, especially with free charge. The charging station at the airport is not a Tesla supercharger so takes a while but no matter as he's charging while at work and the airport is primary service and unlikely to have a power failure for any length of time. His kids and girlfriend have gas vehicles he can swap off if for some reason he needs long range. Current gas prices in CA are approaching $7. partially due to stupid policies over and above what the rest of us are experiencing so it makes perfect sense.

EV is unlikely to make sense for me but a plug-in hybrid may make sense for my wife. It's almost time to replace her Yukon and there's no need for such a big car anymore. Perhaps Toyota SUV.

I think electric vehicles may have a place in the urban setting but the technology is just is not available yet for any other use. I imagine our grandfathers were just as skeptical of the first tractors and cars,thinking they would never replace the trusty team.They are coming and as they improve more people will jump on the wagon.

11 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Interesting, I wonder what the resale returns are on fleet vehicles for large corporations. I know most have some replacement schedule, seems like a (5?) year old semi probably brings a fair amount on the used market. 

Depends on the company and how they run their fleet. If they’re fully depreciated they got their money’s worth from it. Either drive it into the ground u til it’s scrap or sell it off as easily as possible. 

Who do they think is going to pay the road tax when they ban gasoline? Do EV owners even know that in the future that the cost a a kilowatt hour is only going to be part of the cost? They will have to pay road taxes to drive the car eventually. I guess they will sign them all up for IFTA just like heavy trucks. 

25 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Who do they think is going to pay the road tax when they ban gasoline? Do EV owners even know that in the future that the cost a a kilowatt hour is only going to be part of the cost? They will have to pay road taxes to drive the car eventually. I guess they will sign them all up for IFTA just like heavy trucks. 

I expect we will see some sort of mileage tax based on your weight class,  which if we can figure out how to realistically track mileage makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, cjf711 said:

I expect we will see some sort of mileage tax based on your weight class,  which if we can figure out how to realistically track mileage makes sense to me.

Tracking the mileage is no problem at all. I just don’t think most small car owners would put up with, or understand the regulations that they have forced on the trucking industry. Wait until they have to hire a compliance company just to make sure they’re legal to drive to the grocery store. Maybe force everyone in the country to get a DOT number. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Range figures are for a 100% battery charge yet advice is to charge to 80% and discharge to 20%, so the real world range is less than the advertised range but still about 200 miles so perfectly adequate for him, especially with free charge. The charging station at the airport is not a Tesla supercharger so takes a while but no matter as he's charging while at work and the airport is primary service and unlikely to have a power failure for any length of time. His kids and girlfriend have gas vehicles he can swap off if for some reason he needs long range. Current gas prices in CA are approaching $7. partially due to stupid policies over and above what the rest of us are experiencing so it makes perfect sense.

I'd say EV's are a perfect match for about 5 mayyyyyyybe 10% of the population as of now who have dedicated, predictable driving cycles like your friend.  

The 3 year warranty on a Tesla is laughable too.  People knock Deere for right to repair, try getting your Tesla fixed anywhere but Tesla....

EV's sure work well if you work as I do where the charging is free. Well... its free right now anyways....😉🙄   A friend has a 60 mile round trip commute, so 300 miles a week. She bought a Chevy Bolt back in October and is rejoicing over not having bought any gas since then! I have nearly the same commute, if I could be assured that free charging would always be available I would have to definitely  think about an EV if I needed a car right now. I imagine though they will start charging a fee at some point.

8 minutes ago, TomH said:

, if I could be assured that free charging would always be available I would have to definitely  think about an EV if I needed a car right now. I imagine though they will start charging a fee at some point.

I think it's almost a guarantee that free charging will end at some point.

1 hour ago, TomH said:

EV's sure work well if you work as I do where the charging is free. Well... its free right now anyways....😉🙄   A friend has a 60 mile round trip commute, so 300 miles a week. She bought a Chevy Bolt back in October and is rejoicing over not having bought any gas since then! I have nearly the same commute, if I could be assured that free charging would always be available I would have to definitely  think about an EV if I needed a car right now. I imagine though they will start charging a fee at some point.

You are a fool if you think it is “free”! Nothing is free, except the redemption from Jesus Christ 

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'd say EV's are a perfect match for about 5 mayyyyyyybe 10% of the population as of now who have dedicated, predictable driving cycles like your friend.  

The 3 year warranty on a Tesla is laughable too.  People knock Deere for right to repair, try getting your Tesla fixed anywhere but Tesla....

It's a 3 yr unrestricted warranty on a USED car. How many of those do you find?

I suspect your estimate of possible users nationwide may be correct, but, in urban areas and judging for the shear numbers of EVs I see on CA freeways, I believe it's low for those areas. There's just thousands of people commuting to work every day. In traffic you always have at least two Prius and one Tesla in sight along with other EVs that are not so easy to identify.

In a two vehicle family an EV and gas vehicle may be very doable. One of our west coast pilots has adopted that strategy.  When I think of my own utilization an EV would easily make the 120 mile round trip to the airport and all of my around town driving. My K2500HD is too much vehicle over 90% of the time but just enough for the other 10%, so there's no replacing it. I don't see much in the way of free charging around me so it would take some number crunching to justify it. I crunched diesel numbers over and over and found that it no way would pencil out for my use so gas it is.

How long free charging will be available is anyone's guess. It sure doesn't seem fair but I have nothing against those taking advantage of it while it lasts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomH said:

Well... its free right now anyways....😉🙄   

Not exactly the same but.......

I remember when smart phones were free (or a penny) too.

Just another page outta the play book.🤔

Too many people wearing blinders because they think they are stylish.

When the technology and time is right EV will carve out its own market.

I applaud those of you trying them out. We need to hear honest feedback.

• Like 1

I know a local Orelly auto parts store manager,  In a conversation with him yesterday 09May21 he said that he has never sold or even knows how to find any Tesla parts. They do handle hybrid batteries for most of the industry but does not sell to individuals for safety and  warantee reasons .

The auto industry as we know it is heading for a rude awakening in any direction  we take!

I saw a reported, report from Germany recently, Tesla has the highest safety failure rating on the German first 3 year test, (they test every vehicle for the first time after it has run 3 years) of any vehicle sold in Germany!

24 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Not exactly the same but.......

I remember when smart phones were free (or a penny) too.

Just another page outta the play book.🤔

Too many people wearing blinders because they think they are stylish.

When the technology and time is right EV will carve out its own market.

I applaud those of you trying them out. We need to hear honest feedback.

I have a couple cousins with tesla's and some inlaws that have them.  All area Tesla,  no other EV brands.

All surburb dwellers,  some with 20 mi commutes daily.   They love them,   like the looks, like not buying gas,   all are under warranty,   havent had any repairs yet in 2 years.  But were pretty disappointed with their first tesla's fit and finish,  paint from factory was garbage and needed corrected.

He also has 1 tesla that he rents out by the day that he is making pretty good money on right now as a side business

Also have several friends who can give me no negative feedback other than winter range was reduced,  but, they still had range.

I know of NO ONE that has bought a used EV yet.   Thats the feedback i want...  Something that is 3-4 years old and out of warranty.  what would i be looking at in terms of Batt range,  cost to replace those cells, or upgrade cell technology?

• Like 2