trailer/cdl revisit

mmi

Some of you were retaking tests etc.

What is the latest illegal changes made?

4700 for sale here cheap/cheap for today. What should they be?

International diesel toter truck 4700 , size below CDL (no special license to drive). Auto transmission . Bumper pull and also set up for 5th wheel in bed.

Have seen ,normal in flat states #25K loads with just  p/u.

trailer is #14/18k gw so 2 tractors are ok....but... + trailer is #15/20K and all together is # 23+/27K

I am thinking with the new "rules" they just want it gone?

And now to graft $$$$ for bridges ,axles have to be 4' or more apart to count as 2........kinda makes 90% of the trailers obsolete ..?

00f0f_8nUT5xToToYz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

T444E? Its a pig. Depends on your usage as to the requirements. Technically for your usage under 26,001 gross and with any trailer under 10,000 with CGW under 26,001 you would be fine. 

23 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

So, that would basically replace a pickup as the tow vehicle?

In theory would save $80 K and the ins too, but still need 4 x 4

dont own a trailer less than 'permanent " plate

technically in time it would be usable to go back and get a new cdl,since all we have are now 'illegal"depending which Capone' you get.

• Like 1

Its a nice looking truck, but my fire truck is that setup with an Allison. It is beyond a pig. Imo you would be happier passing on that 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Its a nice looking truck, but my fire truck is that setup with an Allison. It is beyond a pig. Imo you would be happier passing on that 

not 4x 4 and I dont have email to ask    for at least 40 days

in the era of $110K+ trucks  what should it go for?

Similar to the pictured with the biggest sleeper you can find to put on a over the road tractor is what the horse show girls haul with out here. Then of course a $100,000, 2 horse GN with living quarters.

1 minute ago, mmi said:

not 4x 4 and I dont have email to ask    for at least 40 days

Lots of rain heading your way or did you get censored? 

2 minutes ago, ray54 said:

Similar to the pictured with the biggest sleeper you can get you can find to put on a over the road tractor is what the horse show girls haul with out here. Then of course a 100,000 2 horse GN.

in horse hitch/show era we rented the tractors and owned the vans

It is amazing the difference a transmission can make. Our dump truck is a TopKick7000, 250hp 3208 with an Allison 643. A friend has a ford  L9000 with a 230hp cat (inline) no idea on the specific model, and an eaton 10 spd with a dump body. The ford does just fine, our topckick is a massive struggle all the time. 

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Lots of rain heading your way or did you get censored? 

We only got 3.8 " this week,only 1/2 the calves born in the water

No, govt PC BS  They cant (easy)auto spy/MS back door on this computer so not, PC mandates that "you" must be kept safe.

All the isp/and sites have to comply with new "safe" handshakes when you open a site.

Had issues here,where clock was never correct, BJ fixed some but said I needed new system, WHich there have been none to be had.

Isp changed last week from 30 day country roll out,if I had not dumped history it would have stayed.

HAve a call in next week to  "  "build" " order from china   a business system.

otherwise ALL china out of the box  if you want v8 then 3 spd and 12" wheels.

caudy art deco monitor, touch and camera etc $300 +

dvdrw ONLY reads

pentium (ex) 8 is out, but they are pushing 2-3. so obsolete before it arrives.

if you want p 5-7 cant have a 1 t HDD  only CHEAP sstd etc.

$800+ in software just to do what this one did before MS attack.

19 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

It is amazing the difference a transmission can make. Our dump truck is a TopKick7000, 250hp 3208 with an Allison 643. A friend has a ford  L9000 with a 230hp cat (inline) no idea on the specific model, and an eaton 10 spd with a dump body. The ford does just fine, our topckick is a massive struggle all the time. 

short of a blueprint (detroit) 5.7/ 350, or 6.9 (28-34 mpg),a v8 diesel , by oil/govt mandate was NEVER any good .

8 hours ago, mmi said:

short of a blueprint (detroit) 5.7/ 350, or 6.9 (28-34 mpg),a v8 diesel , by oil/govt mandate was NEVER any good .

Why would anything mandated be good? If you want good, you reward good, not punish innovators who are always willing to invest in new designs and ideas.

IF government truly supported industry government would incentivize  new ideas and reward new opportunities. Do you want automobiles to increase mpg, REWARD innovators who achieve 35 mpg or some other arbitrary number/goal.  The idea that you “hit someone over the head until they do what they’re told” is backwards to me. Kinda like beating a mule. It doesn’t work.

What’s happening now with fuel prices is a great example. Let’s ratchet up fuel prices and force people into electric vehicles… not going to work. Forced technology will backfire. If the technology was sound and economical people would embrace it, ie; cell phones. How many pay phones/ phone booths do you see today?

Government, especially when they impose mandates, are restrictive for truly innovated businesses.

They have done 84mpg with an experimental 80 VW Rabbit, they were in the 50's envelope when they were current, what has technology done?

My wife's 93 Geo metro xfi gets over 50 mpg every day. Its not rocket science.

Why does everyone praise the 7.3 power  stroke and put down the T444E?

Aren't they the same engine?

Thx-Ace 

26 minutes ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

No, Ford used their own programming and a few other things the t444 didn’t.

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

They have done 84mpg with an experimental 80 VW Rabbit, they were in the 50's envelope when they were current, what has technology done?

50mpg on my 2006 jetta tdi also.  Fast highway speeds can cut into that a bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

Good engine, but a real pig in that chassis 

Back in 90 I had a 460 Ford hauling cattle blowed the doors off everything else then one guy got a new ford with 444 had dealer install a turbo I couldn’t handle him .probably still weak compared to new trucks.

6 hours ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

They are the same engine except the T444E requires less smog control so it is probably more powerful. I have always thought the real issue is the application. In Ithe Navistar it is in a vehicle in the range of 20,000# when moved into a Ford pickup it is only loaded to around 7000# in the F350. My F350 weighed around 6800# unloaded. (almost identical in empty weight to the 93 K2500 Surburban). When compared to the Cat C7 in a school bus they are for all practical purposes identical in use. 

I'm not sure but that combo might fall into a category where insurance gets really costly. I know of a few contractors who retired or hired their hauling out because they didn't want to insure their big truck anymore because the premium was too much.

do I need to say............. for $4.5 K it was gone this morning !!!

I do the think the 06 duomix with 38K   has covered up issues for $20K

and seeing whom is selling, it was < $10K and will be tossed for parts at $35K if the $20k is not met

1 hour ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I'm not sure but that combo might fall into a category where insurance gets really costly. I know of a few contractors who retired or hired their hauling out because they didn't want to insure their big truck anymore because the premium was too much.

Insurance isn't bad on our TopKick, registration is another story. 

16 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Insurance isn't bad on our TopKick, registration is another story. 

Remember, I'm in Michigan, the land of the highest auto insurance rates known to man. The second highest state is less than half what ours are.