My dangerous new toy

Found and bought this flywheel wood splitter to belt up to the 7hp majestic hit and miss engine. There's a reason every once and a while ya see an old timer missing an arm or hand, maybe some fingers20220506_200121.thumb.jpg.841dedb9930cb3ee4f44f6197e3b64ed.jpg20220506_200208.thumb.jpg.6016a00df7e3c660a1de6e218e5a728b.jpg20220506_200202.thumb.jpg.22cf8194d37956d7ebd987098d2ffeca.jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Dad had one made from a Ruston Hornsby elevator engine. It got sent to the scrap yard last year. The one flywheel had cracked from years of abuse and he didn’t want to see someone get hurt using it again(my sister caught a woodblock on her chin when she was about 10. Still has the scar to prove it lol)  I kind of hated to see it get cut up for scrap but that’s what he decided to do. 

• Like 2

Im not trying to imply that you are careless or incompetant but  BE CAREFULL !!!!!

• Like 1

Looks  dangerous, be careful. Most of the old timers I knew that had missing body parts were from encounters with ear corn pickers

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Im not trying to imply that you are careless or incompetant but  BE CAREFULL !!!!!

It will be for a display , you belt it up let it spin and teach people how things use to be, I don't even have a wood stove. Just a bonfire once and a while

• Like 3

7 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Dad had one made from a Ruston Hornsby elevator engine. It got sent to the scrap yard last year. The one flywheel had cracked from years of abuse and he didn’t want to see someone get hurt using it again(my sister caught a woodblock on her chin when she was about 10. Still has the scar to prove it lol)  I kind of hated to see it get cut up for scrap but that’s what he decided to do. 

Shame it was scraped, I bought this for display and just to let it spin without actually cutting wood, alot of people would have like to buy that just to do that.  

• Like 3

You should run it off a older tractor like an F20 with a front mounted buzz saw!🤔🤣

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TomH said:

You should run it off a older tractor like an F20 with a front mounted buzz saw!🤔🤣

I have a McCormick 15 30 tractor but mostly will be on the 7hp majestic engine

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Is that homemade or factory??

There are factory once and home made ones out there, I have not figured out this one yet if it's original or not. I know the wheel is from a steam or hit and miss tractor. I'm guessing it's a company that made it and would use the parts they could find cause I seen others that look very close to this one

Those engines are impressive when at work. There was a general store in the desert area of San Diego Ca (GLYMAS  rings a bell) in the late 60's that used a hit-and-miss to run a 5 KW genset anytime the store was open for power, they did not have anything thing frozen but had cooling for Beer and Pop. You could always get a cold one there.  They ran the utilities out there and destroyed the place around 1980.  Today it is a green resort.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was thinking at one time of making a splitter out of an old square baker but eventually I found a good deal on the hydraulic one I have now. There is just something Leary about not being able to control the splitting mechanism and having to rely on timing. It only takes one miss .

• Like 2