Holy crap. What a project

Who would have thought that a sandblast cabinet could take 4 hours to put together????! Worse than any ikea furniture! 
if it works I think it will be very handy! 

C8EDA5B1-EF88-4287-A909-76071834030D.jpeg

B8951797-09EA-4EF3-8EDC-D619ED691DB2.jpeg

C587A4F4-0DE2-4717-93C0-F1FFA522276A.jpeg

• Like 3

I always thought about getting one of those but never did yet. I even thought about making one out of an old washing machine. What are you using for media?

47 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I always thought about getting one of those but never did yet. I even thought about making one out of an old washing machine. What are you using for media?

1D14C95E-C5BE-49C1-8417-E7CCBF83B4EA.jpeg

• Like 1

They are handy, work great, hook your shop vac to the side port to keep it clear of dust as you work.  Or you won't be able to see what you are blasting in there.  Been there done that. Happy blasting

Mark

I have basically the same cabinet and am converting it to pressure fed from the current suction feed which is very slow in comparison. Just installed a new glass yesterday. Do yourself a favor and caulk with autobody seam sealer every seam, nook, and cranny you can find inside that cabinet before putting it in service. They leak terrible if you don't. 

Unless you are very tall the top panel with the window placed as it is will limit your view. The top would rotate around 180 degrees placing the window lower to the front edge.

Coal slag is good but a bit aggressive to use on aluminum. I use a lot of it in varying grades but mostly portable, or on site blasting remote from the shop. 

Went through two shop vacs in short order. Used fan from range hood to pressurize instead. Use two inch vac hose to vent outside. I made a frame and put window screen under grate to keep chunks from plugging gun.

I agree that window looks high. Was wondering if top could be turned around to move window to front.

On mine I bent bottom of legs in and bolted to sheet of half inch plywood with castors off old tool box under. Stiffened everything up. Made mobile and added a shelf.

They're wonderful units. You'll probably wish you bought a bigger one. I use glass beads in the cabinet, coal slag in the outside pressure blaster. Steal your wife's strainer to sift all the junk out of the beads if you choose to use them. Beads work repeatedly, coal slag not so much.

Get one of these and put in line to save your shop vac. Home Depot has them; they attach to a 5 gallon bucket. Probably cheaper on Amazon.

Use high efficiency bag in the vac as well.

Screenshot (39).png

I have one a little larger. Use glass beads in it. Black beauty outside with pressure blaster. Very handy. Mine is hooked up to dust collector which was oversize so had to be throttled. Beads turn to dust and also get sucked into dust collector. Sifting is good but not out of dust collector. DAHIK

I have one just like it running Black Beauty slag.  I hope you caulked the cracks as you put it together.  I replaced the gun with an ALC and an ALC foot pedal.  I drilled the front leg and installed the air nipple there.  If you use a vacuum alone use drywall bags.  I now use a dust cyclone powered by a Craftsman shop vac.  I first made a homemade 5 gallon bucket one, but then got a factory one.  Harbor freight now has one that goes on top of a 5 gallon bucket for about $35.  Well worth the investment if you use it much.  I have had mine for a number of years now.  Not perfect, but well worth the money if you have enough compressor to run it.

• Like 1

I have had a Trinco model 36 since the early 90’s 
 Since no one has mentioned it yet, get yourself a bag of crushed walnut shells for aluminum stuff like carburetor’s 

iI leaves a real nice finish .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes!! MAJOR pain in the rear to assemble.. and that seam sealant strip they send is mediocre. Seal it up good any way that you can. Oh and when the glass gets hard to look through, or it's too dark inside the cabinet, don't put your nose up near the glass to see closer. There may be very fine abrasive leaking by the glass moulding, and you will breathe it in. It makes for a very sore throat! I found out the hard way. 

On 5/9/2022 at 11:15 AM, Rawleigh99 said:

if you have enough compressor to run it.

That is the $$$ part......  Even with the best of dust collection a mask is a good idea. Enjoy the blaster safely.

I am guessing that flat belt goes up to a drive line?  What are you powering the drive line with?