Straight Pipe vs Muffler on 806 361

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a field test back when the 806 was new. It seems that much to the IH team dismay, the 806 was falling behind the Deere. When everyone took lunch one of the IH mechanics took a fence post and knocked the baffles out of the 806 muffler while the other guys were busy chowing down and wouldn't see what he was doing. The 806 had no trouble keeping up after the lunch break. Can't remember where I read that though. I thought that was part of the reason the 1206 (same engine turbo'd) came with a straight pipe.

I appreciate all the thoughts - particularly the two recent ones from DzlDenny & SearcyFarms.  Based off what you two just stated I’m going to put a straight pipe on our 8 & try to figure out the turbo setup.  We’re in southern Indiana - lots of hilly small timber, hay & crop fields, so over the past 5-6 years we’ve walked away from crops & switched exclusively to cow-calves & timber.  I enjoy corn, soybeans, wheat but to keep up with newer “not new” equipment I can’t find big enough fields close enough to make a go of it  - at least not as much as we can with cattle.  Without our 1960-70s IH equipment we’d be out of farming completely.  Our 8 pulls a 15’ bushhog over pastures & sometimes hay ground.  The 8 handles it just fine - mostly.  But if i could do the turbo for $1-2K I’d probably move in that direction.  Our 966 has a turbo from a previous owner & it has been a very good tractor for the dozen years we’ve owned it.  And our 5088 has one too.  But where do I start if we try to make the 8 into a fake 1206?  Our two sons are in their 20s so I’ll have more help then I want!  Thanks again, Jonathan 

Be aware that even though they share the same block and cid, the 806D and 1206 engines have some differences. A big one that comes to mind is oil cooling on the bottom of the pistons. While I haven't been inside all three engines this is the info that has been shared with me and I have read. I don't believe the early 806D has oil jets under the pistons. I do believe the late and turbo 806 could have 1 jet per cyl but may not... I believe all of the 1206 had two cooling jets per piston. This is not to say these lines could not be added to your engine. From my I&T manual.16553404235881886848067263513814.thumb.jpg.7314d93a756cfd9de5bbaebe94ec6199.jpg16553403824359118832466829067952.thumb.jpg.a7ed8879d1bd542f13a535add31d6849.jpg

Thank you for the good info.  We may be lucky as our 806 is a 1967 model - may be late enough to have the cooling oil jet tubes? Do you have any suggestions in finding an appropriate turbo for a 50+ year old tractor.  Our CaseIH dealer simply said “well you can probably find one on the internet” which I believe to be true but not real helpful.  Thanks for helping as much as you have!

29 minutes ago, ComancheStarFarms said:

Thank you for the good info.  We may be lucky as our 806 is a 1967 model - may be late enough to have the cooling oil jet tubes? Do you have any suggestions in finding an appropriate turbo for a 50+ year old tractor.  Our CaseIH dealer simply said “well you can probably find one on the internet” which I believe to be true but not real helpful.  Thanks for helping as much as you have!

Basically, you'll need everything from a salvage 1206/1256 to add an IH turbo system, or a M&W turbo setup off another salvaged 806 or 856.  There's a few salvage yards that specialize in IH stuff, and once & a while, you'll see all the pieces advertised to do exactly what you're thinking of doing.  I generally see them advertise or list these on Facebook, on the various IH related Facebook pages.

24 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

One from an early 915 combine work or is manifold different?

Yeah, if you can find an early DT407 powered 915 combine, that'd work too.  I can't think there'd be too many of those left anymore, but I could be wrong.  Wouldn't mind coming across one myself.

• Like 1

The problem is most guys know what they have and charge for it. Deals ... Theys hard to come by these days. Tell a fella your working on a 1206 and his price goes up. Tell him you're fixing a 55 year old stationary irrigation pump, and he's willing to haggle. Something to remember is industrial equipment used these engines too. We had an IH dozer with a TD282 in it. Man I wish I had swapped that turbo manifold set up over on my 706 before we sold the dozer. I also saw a pay loader that was super clapped out sell for $3k. It had a good running DT407 in it tho. I thought about hiding the 407 in the corner of the shed just in case and scrapping out the rest. Would have been a good investment. Darn it all for hindsight.

It depends how crafty you and your buddies are too. There is a lot of stuff around our place that shouldn't exist but I've been a cnc machinist for almost 30 years. Even my 154 Lowboy has been repowered by a 2.2 Izuzu diesel from a reefer trailer. Just because you can't buy the pieces to put your Evilbay turbo on your 806 doesn't mean they can't be made. Check out the recent Detroit/Fordson build in the projects. It can always be done.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Was the water manifold and Tstat housing also different on the DT361 like on the 407? I just happen to have a DT407 Tstat housing setup in my inventory.

Yes, same deal from a D361 to a DT361 as a D407 to a DT407 in regards to the thermostat housing on a tractor.