IH 1000 sickle mower

dads706

The good/bad/ugly.... please?

They are great.  I have 3 IH balanced head mowers, still mow hay with them.  They are pretty reliable if you keep them greased.  I've heard that the heads are a booger to rebuild, but I haven't had to rebuild one.  

Is it a 3 pt, 2 pt, semi-mount, or trailer?  I've bought 3 pt machines for $500 in field ready condition. Trailer machines might fetch a little more.

Like any sickle machine, check the clearance between guards and knives.  It's probably a safe bet to just go ahead and plan to replace all the guards, unless they look pretty new.  Grab the pulley on the back side of the head, make sure it rotates smooth, make sure sickle goes back and forth smooth.  Check the universal joints in the driveline, and the bearings where the input shaft goes through the mower frame.  Check the pivot shaft (connects from cutter bar to the main frame).  There are 2 grease fittings that grease where that shaft pivots, make sure there isn't excessive slop there.  Make sure trip latch (underneath main frame) isn't siezed up.  Thats about all there is to them.

I really like balanced head mowers.

• Like 2

Had this one drawbar mount.  Would fall it into the 75 percent100_5670.thumb.JPG.8b5fae8c3240946640605df582976ce3.JPG100_5670.thumb.JPG.8b5fae8c3240946640605df582976ce3.JPG or higher range for cutting. 

Just mowed some thick first cutting orchardgrass with this one.  Looks the roughest of my three mowers but it cuts good!  You can see my 9' trail type hiding in the shed behind it.

20220509_201509.jpg

20220509_201529.jpg

• Like 1

I had a pair of balanced heads on a Rowse double nine trail set up. PTO, they ran real smooth.

Keep the pins and bushings in the sickle head tight and lubed. The balanced head doesn't like slop here.

Rowse factory guys recommended Piston Plate over grease but that was some thirty years ago.

Great mowers.I had 100 to 1000,semi mount, fast hitch and 3pt.Got a 100 and 1000 now.Dad bought a new 100 semi mount when I was 6 or so never forget it coming home from the dealer.Mowing hay,trimming up can't be beat.Nice quiet and just sing .

4 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Jeff,

What is “Piston Plate”?

Other Jeff

I think it was a real sticky slick viscous sorta liquid for engine assembly.

I was to put it in a grease gun for lubing that pin and it worked but slowly leaked out of the grease gun making a sticky mess

6 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I think it was a real sticky slick viscous sorta liquid for engine assembly.

I was to put it in a grease gun for lubing that pin and it worked but slowly leaked out of the grease gun making a sticky mess

Lucas Red n Tacky seems to last pretty well in the sickle head.

• Like 1