scrap price?

pt756

So have been cleaning up a bit, hauled some scrap iron in a week ago, prepared was 390 a ton, took some more in yesterday, dropped to 320 a ton, talked to owner, he just got back with the semi, said today the buyers wont even give him a price, he went on to say that prepared was as high as 450 a ton awhile ago, so whats up? he mentioned buyers were talking about the possibility of a looming recession?

20 minutes ago, pt756 said:

So have been cleaning up a bit, hauled some scrap iron in a week ago, prepared was 390 a ton, took some more in yesterday, dropped to 320 a ton, talked to owner, he just got back with the semi, said today the buyers wont even give him a price, he went on to say that prepared was as high as 450 a ton awhile ago, so whats up? he mentioned buyers were talking about the possibility of a looming recession?

I noticed it took a drop too which really stinks as I was going to take some in.  Cars and #1 prepared are still good at $14/hundred but #2, tin, and unprepared is $10

I’m being ignorant, but what is difference between prepared and say, I found this scrap steel xyz and take it in? Does it mean there’s nothing extra hanging on it?

21 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

I’m being ignorant, but what is difference between prepared and say, I found this scrap steel xyz and take it in? Does it mean there’s nothing extra hanging on it?

Normally prepared is cut into 3’ sections or less. Some things can be larger. That would be for heavy steel. This was explained to me by a local yard operator last weekend.  

11 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Looming recession? We’re in one now and going to get a lot worse.

wait until that is a faux run on the banks,and "they" force faux money. totally in your phone then chip, where it is taxed 50% to earn 60% to spend,when and where "they" say

48 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Normally prepared is cut into 3’ sections or less. Some things can be larger. That would be for heavy steel. This was explained to me by a local yard operator last weekend.  

Makes sense to me

1 hour ago, pt756 said:

Everytime i have something to sell to a buyer there is a threat of a looming recession.

• Like 2

I've been cleaning up scrap at work. Sheet steel, basically tin and anything 1/4 or less was $380 per ton when I started. Today it's at $280 a ton. Unprepared was at $360 but today was also at $280 so that means I don't have to sort anymore. There are always trailers in the yard waiting to be unloaded when I go there. 

8 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

145/ton here just called today 

I was just going to say all you guys are getting good money.  I'm sure we are in the 145 range here too.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:44 PM, mmi said:

wait until that is a faux run on the banks,and "they" force faux money. totally in your phone then chip, where it is taxed 50% to earn 60% to spend,when and where "they" say

I sure hope not. So what did we do cash checks and hide cash in the ground.Do we buy equipment so there is a real value there.its scary for sure.I got quite a bit in financial institutions.You pull it out ,then want to buy something with cash(large purchase) and the dealer whatever cant take because of money laundering laws.You deposit it in a new bank and the government wants to know where you got it.I know of one co op here in the Northeast went bankrupt around early 2000-01,Agway.They had a run on their stock after news was leaked of trouble . My neighbor was a feed,seed salesman for them,thought it was bogus,people just panicking out of rumors,was wrong and the liquidation of people's stocks were the ones hurting the company,blaming them not management,directors.Well it turned out that he was just fed the company line,believed it and was doing what he was told to buy Agway time so the directors could get their money out. Well my aunt,a widow lost $150k in stocks,all she had.She put sale of a farm in Agway and lived off of it when my uncle died.My other uncle told her to get out when things got bad but she didn't.She was sold the lie to put all her money in one basket. But to her defense her monthly checks were real good for her to live on.Just when it was heading down hill Agway kept telling her "it will come back,don't worry,don't liquidate "The upper crust knew all the time that it wouldn't. Stole a widow's money,  pretty low. 

3 hours ago, Jacka said:

So what did we do cash checks and hide cash in the ground.Do we buy equipment so there is a real value there.its scary for sure.I got quite a bit in financial institutions.

just think   why are the alternatives "ILLEGAL" for peasants

hunter and the elites/pacs have no trouble with pallets of it.

we are in very low risk  the "institutions" cost us $30K + so far this year,(that was taxed handsomely last year )so there will be very little income.

a can in the south 40 would have made more sense

43 minutes ago, mmi said:

just think   why are the alternatives "ILLEGAL" for peasants

hunter and the elites/pacs have no trouble with pallets of it.

we are in very low risk  the "institutions" cost us $30K + so far this year,(that was taxed handsomely last year )so there will be very little income.

a can in the south 40 would have made more sense

I know,but the problem with honest folks is we are honest. The government knows that.Crooks don't care about laws,jails or honesty.They might get caught once and not 1000 times. 

I'm going to send a container of scrap once it's loaded . Trying to clean up around. Price is up or down it won't make a difference to be nicer to work around less scrap

• Like 1

Neighbor had a 24’ dump trailer completely filled with crushed aluminum cans, 11 years worth of drinking. $1.09 a pound and it had a grand total of ......4200 pounds of cans.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, bitty said:

I'm going to send a container of scrap once it's loaded . Trying to clean up around. Price is up or down it won't make a difference to be nicer to work around less scrap

Same thing happening here Bitty. When the roll-off gets here the wire/tin/crap is going in. Been digging old woven wire, appliances, and anything else metal out of anywhere I can find it on the farm. Would be nice to hit the market at the top but I don't care, just want this stuff gone!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bitty said:

thats the bottom line.

• Like 1

Yea I got some junk here needs gone,not enough for a container but enough that's getting in the way.I hate hauling it in because you drive in a scrap yard and law of averages sooner or later your going to cut a tire.

15 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Here's a pic of some of the 'stuff' that's going away at my place.

IMG_1381.JPG

I don't know about the yard you go to but the one I were I go will dock you for that stump.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I don't know about the yard you go to but the one I were I go will dock you for that stump.

I would love for that stump to leave but sadly it's staying.

• Like 2