computer set up

mmi

Whats the best computer set up to order?

and MFG?

There are no kids in the know in store or online (save india)

ISP changed access today and said we need a new one.

for what we do on here and dvd rw for photos and vhs sorting out

setting on the desk,not kids TOY

dont need cameras, touch or $200 art stand

I don’t really keep up on the tech. Got a really good fairly local family owned and operated computer shop. They custom built my desk top computer for AutoCAD and accounting for my business. Does exactly what I need. Have gone over and above with service. Any time there is a problem it’s been looked after rather promptly. They have a large customer base of businesses. Don’t know what I would do without them. Have always given good advice and not just tried to sell stuff. Tech shops like this are kinda hard to find though 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mmi said:

Whats the best computer set up to order?

and MFG?

There are no kids in the know in store or online (save india)

ISP changed access today and said we need a new one.

for what we do on here and dvd rw for photos and vhs sorting out

setting on the desk,not kids TOY

dont need cameras, touch or $200 art stand

windows or mac? 

we use dell, lenovo, toshiba, and hp at work - i personally have good luck with dell and lenovo, toshiba is now called dynabook - hp has been ok for us 

not a mac fan personally 

We've had the best luck buying directly from Dell.  Each of those machines have treated us very well.  I think we are on year 7 or 8 and it's still going strong.  I bought a Dell from Best Buy and it was terrible along with an HP.

well the issue seems to have started when MS/ uncle billy needed more $$ and did updates which covertly wiped alot 

As in the dvdrw will not even run the reinstall drives.

office has been fully OWNED on cd since +- 95 .and 4-5 update co license to add on new computer since.

all but word wiped and hard to use.

of late as BJ pointed out ,new 'KEEP YOU SAFETY MEASURES" ARE BEING PUT ONLINE

Basically what a USA American (14 hours later) said from ISP  its not "secure" enough,on OUR end, to be PC anymore.

Not the best time to buy something,no parts or people.

likely will be an HP or dell again, but also picked up a cheap HP at BB for the barn, far less than impressed (milking without vacuum)

obviously in asking, their sites dont work and the hindians can only sell whats on the shelf.

they reconnect me to parts 7x and parts wanted to sell a new HD if I tell the required part #.first

off the shelf are $800-$2200 depending on the "package" options/delete.

So have to call and say exactly how to build.

This computer is still 60% free space.

What are the must haves?

would like to can uncle billie,but stuck. so delete pkg free trials and rentals $600/value free 30 days.

sits on a desk

dual sata and hdd

cd/dvd/rw

card reader/or plug in?

24" screen that does Nothing  else on a base not the $200 art deco swirl stand.

go back update option

full programs on cd/dvd with included/builtin manual not online lookup

full shut down ,as in not sleep,power is never left on when not in use,together with a new switched (off) ieee cable to the isp.

dont expect old speaker to work

memory?

processor?

cards?

wired querty keybd

wired optic mouse

personally, even at my age with cheaters glued to my face i live on a screen all day long - i use a 14" HD screen on a laptop and answer calls all day have about 20 windows open I bounce around between from browsers to applications 

we have been buying amd processors and i have noticed NO difference in performance in those vs intel processors and they actually have better bench mark systems out than intel 

next we have gone to a minimum of 32gig mem, 512gig SSD, HD display, outside of that rodents are whatever you prefer, i like an external personally - no external keyboard 

i live on a laptop would never waste the money on a desktop unless i needed the chassis for something else - gamers need them for cooling and fancy video cards. 

u can get windows or even run linux from a USB stick if you want and worry less about virus infiltration

i do not run virus software other than what is provided in the windows O/S if something gets wonky i just run a spyware/malware cleaner many free ones online - 

i have had two SSDs croak on me from one reboot to the next, no warning just poof gone, i keep important items on multiple backed up external drives for redundant safety, some folks like their stuff on the cloud but it costs $$ and I am not biting. 

you can get a nice system for 1000 or less if you search well - a good place online is microcenter they run great deals on name brands and refurbs, i have purchased deals from dell online outlet also, their stock varies daily so great place to watch also if you have the time https://www.dell.com/en-us/dfh/shop/dell-refurbished/cp/outlet 

thats my 2cents not that its worth a plug nickel - i live on a machine out of livelyhood but look fwd to the day i just use it for personal 

i havent honestly found a browser I like they are a necessary evil in my opinion and all the stupid ads drive me crazy 

My wife likes her desktop with a big screen as it's what she's used to at work. I travel so laptops for me. I've got two Lenovo think pads. A new, thin light one that I travel with and typing on now and my trusty older heavy one that stays at home. Laptops don't care about power surges or outages.

My old one is like Grandpa's axe - two new keyboards, a new screen or two, screen hinges, new battery, several HDs and a mother board, all repairs I made. It's now got tons of RAM so I can keep lots of tabs and documents open, a one TB SSD, DVD RW and an SD slot. That computer has been carried all over the world, dropped, tossed by baggage gorillas even though I tried to hang on to it. Been prodded by customs, sniffed by dogs, etc. 

I got started on Lenovo as company owned them for a while, so we got good deals. I bought my kids refurbished Dells and Lenovo and they worked well, now they have company or Government supplied.

New laptops tend to have soldered-in RAM, batteries, and drives, so other than replacing a screen or keyboard they're throwaway. The flip is they're really thin and light. I recently dug out some of my old Dell laptops to look for some files and I was amazed at how heavy they are. No wonder my briefcase handles failed! I was also amazed at how slow they were.

I image my computers every couple of weeks. Still on spinning drives but I'm going to buy a couple of SSDs to speed up the process. I don't have anything on them that's worth a daily backup but if I did it would likely be in the cloud and a local - belt and suspenders for a business. I carry an iPad for cockpit use that can access everything my computer can. iPad has all flight and airplane documents plus world wide charts and plates. Amazing that we used to carry a 60lb bag with all that stuff and spent hours revising everything.

I'd look over these with an eye to the fastest and best equipped. Some of the refurbed are actually new orders that got cancelled. I've seen some really high-end machines for a good price when looking for a replacement.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/desktops/

https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/laptops/

sticking with setting on the desk,dont need battery,and can clean replace the $40 keyboard.

dell wants to sell these

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktops/new-24-5000/spd/inspiron-24-5415-aio/na5415fkles

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktops/new-24-5000/spd/inspiron-24-5415-aio/na5415fklhs

I am leaning toward this one

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-24-5000-black-all-in-one-with-bipod-stand/spd/inspiron-24-5400-aio/na5400eysvs?view=configurations

dont see where any of them have the dvdrw....cant compare on their site it simply re  lists ,not compare.

and the Hindians can only go from the script of pre mades 

exactly why I refuse to buy pigs in the poke

Hindian said ALL IN ONE EVERYTHING you need is there.....not, $700 (and 1 hr) later and no where to confirm what you got and if it is correct and will work together.dont see the dvdrw?

or know if can open and write to pdf   or paste the vhs like this computer DID

$1400

Quantity
Price

Inspiron 24 5000 Black All-In-One with Bipod...
more View full specs
Processor
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 (6 MB cache, 2 cores, 4 threads, up to 4.10 GHz Turbo)
Operating System
Windows 11 Home, English
Video Card
Intel® UHD Graphics
Memory
8 GB, 1 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
Hard Drive
1 TB, 7200 RPM, 2.5-inch, SATA, HDD, 128 MB cache
Wireless
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig+) and Bluetooth 5.1
Color Choice
Non-Touch Black
Stands
Bipod Stand
FGA Module
2105_5000_BLK_HD/US/BTS
Base
Inspiron AIO DT 5400
Keyboard
Dell KB216 Wired Keyboard English Black
Driver
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX201 Driver
Systems Management
System Driver for Windows
Business Support
Return Label
Camera
Black HD Web Camera
Mouse
Wired Mouse, Black MS 116
Power Cord
US Power Cord
Documentation/Disks
Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French)
Support Tech Sheet and Powercord
Print On Demand Label
Packaging
Shipping Materials
Optical Software
No Power DVD
Label
Regulatory Label
Additional Software
Additional Software
Processor Branding
Intel® Core™ i3 Processor Label
LCD
23.8", FHD 1920x1080, 60Hz, AIT Non-Touch, Anti-Glare, InfinityEdge
Power Supply
90 Watt AC Adapter
Protect your purchase - View Support offers below
Monthly Subscription Premium Support
Microsoft Application Software
Office Home & Business 2021 with Adobe Acrobat Standard 2020
Security Software
McAfee LiveSafe 30 Day Trial
Photo & Video Editing Solutions
Adobe Lightroom - 12 month Subscription - Multiple Devices - 1TB Storage

$1,124.84

$125.36 Total Savings
  • Subtotal (

1 Item)
    $999.48
  • Shipping
    Free
  • Tax based on 02108
    $59.39
  • Estimated Total
    $1,058.87

8GB Ram is a minimum for Windows, although it works, 16, or even 12 would be better.  Some might not be upgradeable later.  Dell is ok, Hp is ok (some had issues with them, but I know of several around and no more issues than others), you can get a lemon in any brand, their support isn't the best, no brand stands out there, except, as much as I dislike Apple as a company, in warranty, they are better.  Out of warranty, Apple, like other companies, would rather you replace the whole thing than repair.

The all in ones are ok, generally use laptop type parts.  If the monitor goes out, whole thing needs fixed.  Harder to replace parts, but things are becoming more soldered and less user replaceable anyway.

Desktop deals are becoming rarer, laptops sell more, prices are up just like everything else.  Costco had a better return policy and added warranty, I haven't checked them lately if they still do.  Some family ordered HP from there a couple years ago, and they are nice.  Intel processors, i3, i5, i7 are ok.  AMD Ryzen are also ok.  For general use, a typical home user, most of anything like those will do just fine (mostly).

As much as I dislike Apple, their Mac Mini is one of the best desktop computers around.  Fast and efficient.  8GB of ram is enough for a regular user with them.  16 is better, but like everything, they charge way too much to upgrade to it.  The base model has been less than $500 if you watch pricing.  Sometimes AAFES has a sale on them, if you or someone you know has access.  You add your own monitor ($200 for good, but can be less) and keyboard/mouse.  External USB DVDrw can be around $20.  Hard drive/ram is soldered, not replaceable, use external drive if more room is needed.

I assemble my own desktops from parts, every 5 or so years.  Old one keeps working, but I usually pass it to someone in the family.

I don't know if Windows 11 has "S Mode" like W 10 did.  If it is in that you can't upload any software that in not in their store.  There was a procedure to unlock but you had to find it - or find someone who knew how.

Ditto 8GB is a little light for Windows. USB optical drive is probably what you'll need.

I'm not a fan of all-in-ones. A good large monitor should last for a very long time as should a good mouse, USB or Bluetooth.

My preference would be a small form desk top  or tower with  lots of RAM, an optical drive and an SSD. Add a nice big monitor.

As was mentioned above, the all in ones have soldered-in components that are not user replaced. Generally you can't add RAM so if you get a hungry program you'll be slowing down or crashing. A SSD will load files and programs in the blink of an eye. We all get spoiled by speed and don't like it when things slow. A big monitor will let you split screens, use a big spread sheet, or just be easy on the eyes.

3 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

I don't know if Windows 11 has "S Mode" like W 10 did.  If it is in that you can't upload any software that in not in their store.  There was a procedure to unlock but you had to find it - or find someone who knew how.

what issue is this?

The ALL IN ONE is the ONLY way to package ALL + the not included/mentioned BS.

According to the hindians (pulling serial #) nothing over 3 years is useable forward.

this computer works fine,just no longer works with the current PC security spy on you BS

barely get on here and was locked out of email yesterday.

hp/dell is all off the shelf china %^$*^%%&^,would prefer to build,but the hindians cant say what parts and systems work together

Except for here and mandated banking which saves $30/mo in mail costs,would simply chuck it.

39 minutes ago, mmi said:

what issue is this?

The ALL IN ONE is the ONLY way to package ALL + the not included/mentioned BS.

According to the hindians (pulling serial #) nothing over 3 years is useable forward.

this computer works fine,just no longer works with the current PC security spy on you BS

barely get on here and was locked out of email yesterday.

hp/dell is all off the shelf china %^$*^%%&^,would prefer to build,but the hindians cant say what parts and systems work together

Except for here and mandated banking which saves $30/mo in mail costs,would simply chuck it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/354057/what-is-windows-10-in-s-mode/

8 hours ago, mmi said:

I've "built" several computers on the Lenovo site. You pick the form and basic processor then can change it all. Upgrade RAM, upgrade processor, add a second HD, add optical drive, pick OS, pick keyboard and mouse, pick additional software, etc. BTW, a vast majority of the parts are indeed Chinese. There are NO made in USA computers; assembled, yes, but anyone can slide components into a case and plug them in. Some components may come from other places in Asia but you'll have to leave your dislike of Chinese products behind if you want a personal computer.

If you buy from Best Buy you'll be limited to what they stock. If you buy an all-in-one there's no changing anything. Of course it's simple to go that way as long as you know that's the final configuration. If it fits your needs then go for it. I look at it like specing a new vehicle. Get exactly what you want.

• 3 weeks later...

must have missed the notice on these few...?

keep getting shut out of lenovo

would be happy to EXACTLY bring this computer current (63% FREE space) and add 1 extra dvd rw copy/writer

hp has not come back with more than $1600 home stuff that needs $1500 add ons

dell is $1500 for so so home and $2500 for semi ala carte as below

how to weed out what we do/dont want?

set on desk

20-27" NO camera/touch no $200 stand

wired mouse/key

256-1t  HDD

12 gb

2  dvd rw  ACTUAL write/copy not the $18 read only

current windows as basically stuck

No office - $600 options out there

PDF complete.....? as is rented with office

dell ala carte starter $2500+

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/workstations-isv-certified/new-precision-3660-tower-workstation/spd/precision-3660-workstation/xctopt3660us_vp

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/workstations-isv-certified/new-precision-3660-tower-workstation/spd/precision-3660-workstation/xctopt3660us_vp?configurationid=9fcf4a14-ef41-4391-ade8-742df71da296

it took 1.5 hr to get here