UAW goes on strike at Magnum plant

acem

11 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

At least the parts warehouse isn’t on strike like they were at John Deere. 

My Nephew works for Mother Deere,  sells extended warrantees according to comments he's made. He knew where Deere's PDW was, but had never been inside the fence.  But Mother Deere sent him there for 14-16 hour days picking and packing parts during the strike. He lost 20-25 pounds during the strike.

Too bad that CIH couldn't get by without a strike. I had MANY friends whose lives were negatively effected by the BIG IH strike of '79&'80.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DR.EVIL said:

I had MANY friends whose lives were negatively effected by the BIG IH strike of '79&'80

...and we all know how well constant strikes by the CAW worked out for the employees of Chatham plant.

While I was a union member for many years there are a couple of unions that gave us a bad name as most non members thought we were all the same. Where I was 3 repairs and you were out and back to school , they demanded excellence.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Did anybody not see this coming?  

id say so, if green paint gets more why not red and blue? if other things are harder to come by and cost more $$ why arent the tractors worth more $$ and breaking down the farmer if the cost of fert, availability of parts/supplies, you name it so we can tear things down even more for the farmer and consumer,  by all means someone strike up the band and get on it, UAW will be next so we can charge more for the electrics and delay cars and break the current companies because they cannot get chips, i call foul on that one - we can make chips for everything else but a car ? so we can turn them into GOV'T motors and cant build petro rigs anymore - its all part of the plan - we know high water will never come again so its true **** at our door. 

• Like 2

If any of you need Cat parts, get them before the 1st of June. 15% increase straight across the board. Problem is, unless your dealer has it in stock you aren’t going to get it until after then anyway. 

Yea everyone needs more pay and less work so get to the trough while you can.

once the credit runs out,peasants are going to need wheelbarrows of $ for food

over $5 for bpa poison milk here

yard/plant store has been calling all the locals. Wanting clean bright straw delivered  for < $4  < 50 per trip on call,you store for free.

told them ALL ours was dirty, as that is what I charge for outdoor/rained on.

otherwise $6.50 picked up you load ,cows will eat it or it can rot,with 60% $ increase in MY bills,and ALL years going forward on tax's

Had a salesman tell me the other day that a 2023 Quadtrac was going to cost $90-100K more than a similar 2022 model. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, SDman said:

Had a salesman tell me the other day that a 2023 Quadtrac was going to cost $90-100K more than a similar 2022 model. 

I don’t know how many more times it can be said, but how long can this keep going? Is there never going to be a point that people can just no longer afford this stuff? I feel like I’m on the outside looking in, I just can’t understand it. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, SDman said:

Here's a sampler for you.

FB_IMG_1651677671880.jpg

3 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t know how many more times it can be said, but how long can this keep going? Is there never going to be a point that people can just no longer afford this stuff? I feel like I’m on the outside looking in, I just can’t understand it. 

you are not, i am right there with you, im trapped peering into the abyss waiting to get swallowed up and never to be remembered a statistic that only shows on paper - i am your neighbor and feel the squeeze 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:
14 hours ago, SDman said:

I don’t know how many more times it can be said, but how long can this keep going?

It all depends on how long the banks are willing to lend out the money.

There was a headline just a few days ago about home foreclosures being up 180 percent over last year, and housing starts being down about 12.5 percent, so for right now, the lending institutions are reliving the days when THEY lent the money to ALL the UNQUALIFIED trash, that had no business 'owning' a home, but during the government created housing crisis of 2007-2009, and to my knowledge, agriculture was pretty much unaffected, but TODAY, how long can the banks carry even the BTOs?

BUT, at least agriculture has the possibility of generating some income, perhaps even being able to pay the interest on the loan(s)

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/05/breaking-foreclosures-181-one-year-home-sales-12-6-vs-last-year/

And, to be perfectly candid, I could NOT care less what happens to the cidiot, his home, and ALL their 'must have toys'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

It’s somewhat easy to afford when dealers are allowing what you paid or even more for your trade in.  

Think it's also a problem if you can get the new equipment or not, had a nice 335 Magnum traded in a week ago fifteen minutes after it hit tractor house there was 20 phone calls for it.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:57 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

At least the parts warehouse isn’t on strike like they were at John Deere. 

I just figured the CIH parts warehouses are non union. Pretty sure the one at Cameron wouldn't be union. Its a corrections facility. Was also thinking at the time they moved harvester to Grand Island from Moline they busted the union in doing that as well. So makes me wonder how it will work out for the non union employees if the union ends up getting what it wants? 

11 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

I just figured the CIH parts warehouses are non union. Pretty sure the one at Cameron wouldn't be union. Its a corrections facility. Was also thinking at the time they moved harvester to Grand Island from Moline they busted the union in doing that as well. So makes me wonder how it will work out for the non union employees if the union ends up getting what it wants? 

I didn’t know the Deere parts warehouse was Union until the last strike. They did like what @DR.EVIL said to be able to ship any parts at all. There were basically no emergency orders and lots of things took three days to get if they showed up at all. I needed a gearbox and the factory would have had to build it and they weren’t working either. I never did get it before we got done just using the other machines. 

17 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

It all depends on how long the banks are willing to lend out the money.

There was a headline just a few days ago about home foreclosures being up 180 percent over last year, and housing starts being down about 12.5 percent, so for right now, the lending institutions are reliving the days when THEY lent the money to ALL the UNQUALIFIED trash, that had no business 'owning' a home, but during the government created housing crisis of 2007-2009, and to my knowledge, agriculture was pretty much unaffected, but TODAY, how long can the banks carry even the BTOs?

BUT, at least agriculture has the possibility of generating some income, perhaps even being able to pay the interest on the loan(s)

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/05/breaking-foreclosures-181-one-year-home-sales-12-6-vs-last-year/

And, to be perfectly candid, I could NOT care less what happens to the cidiot, his home, and ALL their 'must have toys'.

I'm a small 250 acre guy and seems like its getting to the point banks almost don't even want to loan money to someone my size. They would rather deal with a 10,000 acre farmer. 

11 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Pretty sure the one at Cameron wouldn't be union. Its a corrections facility.

Wonder what kind of a 'sweetheart deal" CNH worked out with the state to get this labor for next to nothing?

IF these people are trustworthy/stable/intelligent enough to be working at a job like this, OUTSIDE of the corrections facility, they are trustworthy/stable/intelligent enough to be PAID real-world wages for their work.

So, by CNH employing convict labor, they are getting a tax break, and they may be covering the cost of housing the inmates, BUT,  this is only covering the costs that the taxpayer would otherwise be paying.

Therefore, since there IS some skill involved, these workers should be paid what a FREE individual would be paid, (minus a minimal deduction for food (they aren't going to be eating at McDonald's), housing (they aren't staying at the Holiday Inn), and insurance, they are going to be treated at state expense (since they are convicts), with the majority of their "real-world" earnings going into an escrow account due them, either upon their release, or a year or two later, IF they stay out of trouble.

Which brings this up:  What happens to this 'slave labor', when they are released, DO THEY STAY employed at CNH, or, are their places taken by another inmate, and the former employee, set out onto the street?

A great idea, BUT, you know as well as I do, that someone, in some state agency, has found a way of lining their pocket off of the deal.  (And, IF "Cameron" is in Illinois, and since Illinois state government has a reputation for graft, well,)

47 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

I'm a small 250 acre guy and seems like its getting to the point banks almost don't even want to loan money to someone my size. They would rather deal with a 10,000 acre farmer. 

And the deal is that YOU are far more likely to pay off your loans, (since YOU are NOT "too big to fail"), yet you are being shut out of the market for new equipment that fits the size of your operation, as well as being able to borrow the money you may need to  operate. (This seems to be the result of these non-locally owned mega-banks, with NO "roots in the community", or background in agriculture, catering to cidiots, their overpriced homes, and their need for their 'toys', who have NOTHING of substance of their own, and undoubtedly consider it normal to live from paycheck to paycheck, assuming they even manage that.)(And which current conditions make it harder and harder to do)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Wonder what kind of a 'sweetheart deal" CNH worked out with the state to get this labor for next to nothing?

IF these people are trustworthy/stable/intelligent enough to be working at a job like this, OUTSIDE of the corrections facility, they are trustworthy/stable/intelligent enough to be PAID real-world wages for their work.

So, by CNH employing convict labor, they are getting a tax break, and they may be covering the cost of housing the inmates, BUT,  this is only covering the costs that the taxpayer would otherwise be paying.

Therefore, since there IS some skill involved, these workers should be paid what a FREE individual would be paid, (minus a minimal deduction for food (they aren't going to be eating at McDonald's), housing (they aren't staying at the Holiday Inn), and insurance, they are going to be treated at state expense (since they are convicts), with the majority of their "real-world" earnings going into an escrow account due them, either upon their release, or a year or two later, IF they stay out of trouble.

Which brings this up:  What happens to this 'slave labor', when they are released, DO THEY STAY employed at CNH, or, are their places taken by another inmate, and the former employee, set out onto the street?

A great idea, BUT, you know as well as I do, that someone, in some state agency, has found a way of lining their pocket off of the deal.  (And, IF "Cameron" is in Illinois, and since Illinois state government has a reputation for graft, well,)

Art, in all seriousness, Cameron has been our dealership's main depot since it opened over 15 years ago. It replaced our former depot from St. Paul, which was a former IH depot and was UAW(union). When Racine was on strike, St. Paul was usually on strike as well. My personal opinion is that Cameron does a better job than St. Paul ever did; granted its a much bigger depot. 

Just now, SDman said:

Art, in all seriousness, Cameron has been our dealership's main depot since it opened over 15 years ago. It replaced our former depot from St. Paul, which was a former IH depot and was UAW(union). When Racine was on strike, St. Paul was usually on strike as well. My personal opinion is that Cameron does a better job than St. Paul ever did; granted its a much bigger depot. 

I am by no means "dissing" the arrangement, as it seems to be one of the few, perhaps the only, program that allows the inmates who take part, a way out, which is why I say they should be PAID for their work.