1066 no start, please help

parked tractor last fall, running perfectly. Tried starting today first time this year and no start. Usually when I touch button, she fires. Never done this in the past. I changed fuel filters and made sure fuel coming out of lines to filter housing. Check air filters for obstructions, ok. Used hand pump and got filters primed, still no start. Tried using ether button, pulled line from manifold and it does spray. Tractor wont even fire using ether? Wasnt getting any smoke at first, but after messing with it for ever, now have some smoke out of stack when cranking. It did fire twice at different times after using hand pump. Batteries charged up, spinning over quickly. I have not tried bleeding injector lines, but curious as to no fire when using ether.

Check at the injectors and see if fuel is making it to them. Then you know if the pump is distributing fuel thru the head assembly.  Not sure about why it is not running on ether?  Rings drying out and losing compression?

• Like 1

I agree with doing due diligence in terms of checking air filters and opening fuel lines to check flow for fuel.  I just recently had to replace a pump head for similar symptoms.   It was a very short interval between normal start, using some ether, and then nothing.  Was not even several hours from normal to nothing and I use fuel conditioner to protect the pump.  

How much ether were you giving it? If it's not getting any fuel it takes a lot of ether to get it to fire. Just a little tap on the ether button like you normally wood on a cold morning wouldn't be enough. In that situation the injection pump is also providing fuel.

Can the "rack" get stuck on the Ambac 100 pumps? 

18 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Can the "rack" get stuck on the Ambac 100 pumps? 

Yes. I have seen it a few times. You can remove the upper front (side) cover and spray the metering valve with penetrating oil to get it moving freely again.

Cracking injector lines loose at the injector and looking for fuel is first step either way. 
Farmall Doctor, is there any crossing fingers and tapping the pump with maybe a rubber mallet?  I had a fuel tank cap vent fail a few years ago, and fuel starved one of my old fords. I shut the tractor off, it was running fine. Went to start it back up an hour later and it was dead. I had Fuel at the filters but I did not have any at the injectors, I was ready to remove the pump when I called the local pump shop and asked for advice, they told me to tap it with a hammer. I didn’t have a hammer, but I had a big screwdriver in my pocket, smacked the side of that thing once and it fired instantly. But I’m a redneck anyway. 

• Thanks 1

I suppose it is worth a try! Pull the throttle to full rabbit and give it a rattle! I have been telling Roosa Master tractor guys to leave them sit for months in the run position. The governor is much stronger than the tiny spring that brings them to run position. 

tractor is an hour away from home, next day off I will crack injector lines and make sure fuel is there. Never has done this before, not sure why it lost fuel pressure or bleed back. No, did not use over abundance of ether when trying to start. Air filters were fine, even left out when trying to start to eliminate such issue. Still no better/worse.

15 hours ago, Turbo806 said:

tractor is an hour away from home, next day off I will crack injector lines and make sure fuel is there. Never has done this before, not sure why it lost fuel pressure or bleed back. No, did not use over abundance of ether when trying to start. Air filters were fine, even left out when trying to start to eliminate such issue. Still no better/worse.

Check my comment and Farmall Doctor's response on "stuck rack." You may not have lost pressure at all but the injection pump is stuck in the "off" position.

18 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I suppose it is worth a try! Pull the throttle to full rabbit and give it a rattle! 

I had to use this advice on Sunday to get the Hydro 186 to start after it had been sitting for a couple months. I had tried a week earlier to start it with about half  throttle. It didn't want to fire then, I thought it was that the batteries were low. But at nearly full throttle it fired up. I then pulled the throttle back to a more reasonable level.

Is this thing stored where rodents can get in and make a nest in the intake?  I've seen it before where it won't run because of this.

you could have the entire fuel system removed and it should still run on ether..........

If you aren't getting fuel to the injector either take the cover off the side (4 screws) lor the top cover off to see if the rod going from governor to the rack moves easily

if not work it back and forth. My Hydro 186 sit a lot and it stick a lot. 

I always start a diesel at wide open throttle.

Then as it starts to run I am bringing the throttle back near idle.

Diesels like all the fuel they can get when starting.

Most shut off a diesel and leave the throttle there over time.

If the metering valve then sticks, it sticks in the off position.

We should, after the engine has quit, move the throttle to about 1/2 throttle for winter storage.

It should then start in the spring unless the pumping plunger is stuck too.

Use Stanadyne Fuel Conditioner or something equal to help prevent stuck pumps from happening.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

We should, after the engine has quit, move the throttle to about 1/2 throttle for winter storage

I have gotten into the habit of also once in a while moving the throttle or shut-off cable from stop to run a few times when I happen to be around them.

Update, was able to work on tractor yesterday. I replaced main fuel line/hose. I knew this would not correct, but it needed changed. Primed system and loosened injector line at injector then at pump, no fuel. I had read in other posts about throttle shaft being stuck in off position, so I opened throttle and gently tapped around throttle linkage and low and behold it fired right up. Got lucky, I will leave throttle open from now on when it sits for extended period of time. Thank you all for the ideas/responses. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1