If i were driving past ,

lorenzo

Many, many years ago my wife and I were on vacation in a rented motorhome driving around N. Arizona and Southern Utah. We kept seeing signs indicating "home made tamales"  so many miles ahead. It was mid day when we got to what was a bar/restaurant literally in the middle of nowhere. I had never had a tamale before so, what the heck. We went in and the place was deserted except for 2 great danes lounging in the back corner. All I can say is that the tamales were beyond excellent and the memory priceless. The only ones I've had since that could compare, were from a fellow I worked with who was from Guatemala. His Aunt made them and he would bring them to work and sell them around lunch time.  I really hated when he left for greener pastures.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 65806 said:

You just don’t see a lot of pipe smoking, dog restaurants these days. 

Is that a light bulb or a noose hanging from the bottom of the pipe ? 

9 hours ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Never been able to figure the fascination with tamales, do you eat the husk wrapping?

Green corn tamales! When they are in season (in Tucson) get'em while you can.

• Like 1

Everybody seems to be all over the tamales and ice cream. But I think the frank n Stein is really clever and a hot dog and beer sounds good. 

• Like 4

I like a good tamale but rarely find really good ones.  While lots of other Mexican dishes taste similar to me, tamales are different.

I'd definitely try one in a greasy spoon like that.  Much rather take a chance on that than eat what some reluctant, complacent Taco Bell employee scraped together while staring at their phone.

• Like 3

Daggone double post.

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Is that a light bulb or a noose hanging from the bottom of the pipe ? 

I blew it up a little and pretty sure it's a light bulb.

I believe this pic was taken before Bubba Wallace was around.

• Haha 1

Didn’t they use that dog joint in the movie The Rocketeer? Lol…? Or maybe it was some other movie. Or some other similar looking eats joint? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve C. said:

I like a good tamale but rarely find really good ones.  While lots of other Mexican dishes taste similar to me, tamales are different.

I'd definitely try one in a greasy spoon like that.  Much rather take a chance on that than eat what some reluctant, complacent Taco Bell employee scraped together while staring at their phone.

I spent over 40 years in the commercial refrigeration industry, been in thousands of restaurant kitchens. If you had seen what i have you would never go out to eat anywhere.
Believe me, the little mom and pop out of the way places are by far the best places to go hands down. Stay as far away as possible from chain restaurants. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

I spent over 40 years in the commercial refrigeration industry, been in thousands of restaurant kitchens. If you had seen what i have you would never go out to eat anywhere.
Believe me, the little mom and pop out of the way places are by far the best places to go hands down. Stay as far away as possible from chain restaurants. 

I did some maintenance and repairs in a couple of Quiznos stores several years ago.  They don't fry anything, and the owners were very clean people, but it was always amazing how hard it is to keep a kitchen clean.

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

If you had seen what i have you would never go out to eat anywhere.

Dad used to do electrical work years ago, and said the exact same thing. 

Used to in another life when we went to another place to work I would try to find where all the farmers and construction workers ate. Some of the places looked rough but that is where you find the best food.

• Like 3

My Grandfather on my mother’s side, had a ‘truck garden’ business for years. He delivered what he grew to area restaurants, and grocery stores. We always would follow grandpa into the stores or restaurants back room or kitchens, except for the Chinese restaurants. We would never let us in those. We said if you ever saw a Chinese restaurant kitchen, you would never eat there.

• Like 1