Rear window heater

Has anyone ever had a rear window heater short out and destroy the window?  My wife ran to town Saturday evening to get pizza, texted me that there was a light on in the dash. 
122FC780-76FB-4A8E-B63D-4CA9E5E7F882.thumb.png.356a7624f156111d884c3b0b42bd54f3.png

A little later it went out, thought maybe the alternator is on the way out, oh well.  She got home, we sat down to eat pizza and watch a movie. After awhile one of the kids went to the garage to get a can of pop out of the fridge, and came back in “Uh, I’ve got a surprise for you, not really a good one though”.  The rear window of the Excursion was shattered.  Didn’t see any bullet holes in the garage, so I’m wondering if my wife accidentally bumped the switch to turn on the rear window defrost and it shorted out and damaged the glass somehow. 
D3CB785B-3814-452D-BF4E-4D4DCBB871DA.thumb.jpeg.85434b82b1d9622308a636c6f8cd3e7e.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

All I can say is localized extreme heating can shatter glass. I’ve done it with a cutting torch in the middle of an old window pane. Hissssssss — POP!  Don’t know if auto safety glass would do the same. 

Google Ford and shattered window glass.  I had new f150’s in 04 and 06, and I remember at the time some owners were reporting that their heated rear windows did that. Of course ford had never heard of such a thing… but my local parts counter guy at the ford dealership told me they had seen it “more than once”. 

4 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

The truck I have at work is a 2013 F350 with a stake body bed. Last year going down the interstate the unheated back cab glass just shattered.  Glass man said he had seen it more than once.

Personal alarm clock! 

I left Omaha one day in a chevy van with a huge load of copper pipe on my ladder rack headed to Good fellow air force base in San Angelo Texas . Got to the Kansas turnpike and my windshield exploded. Had too much weight on the roof . 

Drove it all the way to San Angelo with no windshield. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I left Omaha one day in a chevy van with a huge load of copper pipe on my ladder rack headed to Good fellow air force base in San Angelo Texas . Got to the Kansas turnpike and my windshield exploded. Had too much weight on the roof . 

Drove it all the way to San Angelo with no windshield. 

Your own personal roadkill garage moment.

• Haha 3

Wife’s 2014 Impala’s rear window shattered last week. Had the defroster on when she started out that morning and looks like the glass broke along one of the wires. Local glass place couldn’t get one and my GM parts guy said they were on back order with no eta. Thankfully I was able to get one at a local salvage yard Saturday morning.

Years ago I closed the door on my 98 Ram and the rear glass blew out.

Wow.  That looks like a mess.  At least it was at home.

We had snowblowers in the service with heated windshields, if they had a nick/chip in them they would shatter/explode sometimes. Maybe this and….

Heard of seat heaters shorting out and burning holes, this is new to me. 
i did try unsuccessfully to smash the glass in a quartz work light today. Tough stuff. 

I worked with a guy who had his rear window shatter while parked. When the Safelite guy showed up to replace it and the door wouldn't go up, he realized what happened. Spring broke in the night and must be some tiny part hit it like a bullet. He had to call off the window guy to wait for the garage door guy, then call the window guy back.