pfc piston pump conversion to gear pump 3388 or any late 86 series tractor

Anyone do the conversion and how did it work out. I have not really done any checking yet but it appears I have lost aux hyd on 3388. Had issue a couple of years ago and the spool that moves the swash plate for the pump had broken. Replaced with a used pump. Do not recall any issues with the hyd system last fall but can not get it to work this spring. Been once or twice I have heard the growl noise that pump makes and for a few seconds I did have hyd function.

Price wise if it proves to be a pump issue again it is about the same if not a little more to convert. However future pumps if needed would be much nicer priced. I have no equipment that needs a PFC type system and do not anticipate any thing in the future.

We did a 3588 years ago at the dealerships suggestion. Don't remember any issues afterwards

You'll lose some flow and motor functions when you change over to the old gear style pump and you'll basically be back to open center again The piston pumps were more trouble I agree I've had issues with broken shafts cracked slipper plates and broken compensator valves but I always stayed with the piston pump 

Change it over , those pumps where not the best , just go to a salvage yard and get everything off a 86 series with out the flow controls in the cab 👍 If your running an orbital motor application I can help you plumb it so it won’t hurt your pump . 
Danny

• Like 1

It looks like a big job converting one back to open center like the early 86 series. 

Lots of plumbing, auxiliary valves, pump and 3 pt cover?

Ag Parts & Hy Cap have kits with good instruction available. I have only used Ag Parts kits but have got along very well with them. Price is about a wash to replace or convert back to open center, if anything little more expensive to convert back to gear pump. 

• 2 weeks later...

So dug into the tractor to see what was going on with the aux hydraulics. Found a spring off for the draft function on the 3 point. Hard to say how long it had been that way as I do not have any 3 point equipment. Spent a good three hours getting that connected back up reaching in through the 3 point top link cover. Could not see any unusually leakage in there, was mainly checking the signal line and the left front corner where the teflon ring is located. Ran out of day light so this morning I plumbed in to the top port on the pump cover to check standby pressure which was running around 300 pounds at an idle. Dead headed a remote and pressure went up to 2000 psi. Since that all seemed to be working I went up to the equipment lot to bring the vibra-shank down to work on. I had left the pressure gauge installed and it was a side hill that the vibra-shank was parked on, hydraulic filters to the high side. Got out of the cab and glanced at the gauge and 0 psi. WTH? I turned the tractor around 180 and looked at the gauge 300 psi. Turned around one more time 0 psi. So back to the shop and over filled the transmission about 5 gallons. Took care of the issue. So looks like the suction tube oring is leaking. Last time I was in one of those rear ends was back in the early 80's and usually would have the tub stripped. So the question is, if I pull the top can I reach that tube without pulling the ring gear? 

I guess why I had not tumbled onto what was going on earlier, the steering and brakes never went away. Both pumps are still piston pumps in this girl.

Soon as spring work is done I will dig into it and fix it correctly. The way it keeps raining and snowing around here it may be done before it ever gets started.