510 grain drill front mounted small seed attachment

How do the settings on the front mounted small seeder work? It's the factory IH seeder.

The chart gives numbers up to 81, but the seeder only goes from 0-20.

There is NOTHING in the manual about how the settings work on the seeders. Just charts.

My best guess is that the numbers are in 10s, but then why does the chart get so oddly specific? Number like 53, 67, 81.

I pretty much left it set where Dad left it, at 5, and used 5 of the 7 bags of seed they sold me. A little light on seed rate but at $225 a bag I'm not complaining.

These any help? If any doubt, the only sure fire way to be correct is tie a sandwich bag to a feed and drive 1/10 of an acre and weigh the results. Then use the appropriate mathematical formula to arrive at pounds per acre.

F5985B01-3A71-46A7-AD6D-F38658D234B0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Binderoid said:

These any help? If any doubt, the only sure fire way to be correct is tie a sandwich bag to a feed and drive 1/10 of an acre and weigh the results. Then use the appropriate mathematical formula to arrive at pounds per acre.

There is a copy of that exact chart in the manual, and one on the inside of the seed box.

But if you look you'll see what I mean.

To seed alfalfa at 20lbs per acre, according to the chart, the setting is 80.

The settings only go up to *20* on the drill!

How do I get 80 when the setting only goes up to 20?

From what happened yesterday, I know if I set it to 20, 150lbs of seed would have shot through in the first acre.

You are reading the chart you pictured wrong. Were it says indicator settings the numbers to the right are what you set it at and the number under each of the drill settings is the lbs per acre of each seed to the left  . So setting 4 will give you 16 lbs and setting 6 will give you 25 lbs so if it’s set at 5 on the drill it will give you about 20 lbs to the acre of alfalfa seed. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 806JR said:

You are reading the chart you pictured wrong. Were it says indicator settings the numbers to the right are what you set it at and the number under each of the drill settings is the lbs per acre of each seed to the left  . So setting 4 will give you 16 lbs and setting 6 will give you 25 lbs so if it’s set at 5 on the drill it will give you about 20 lbs to the acre of alfalfa seed. 

He’s right, Matt. Still don’t know your row spacing but that’s basically the nub of it.

19 minutes ago, 806JR said:

Well that makes more sense, but that's not how the chart is labeled.

"Pounds per acre" is across the top, referring to the 2,4,6,8...20 row, so that indicates 2,4,6,8...20 pounds per acre.

"Indicator setting" should really read "seed variety" but since it doesn't it has to refer to the values in the chart.

I asked the neighbor and my brother in law and they came to the same conclusion. For 20lbs per acre, use setting 80. 

What kind of lunatic seeds 80lbs of alfalfa to the acre?  Everything I found said 20lbs an acre max, less in a mixed seed which is what I used.

12 hours ago, Binderoid said:

He’s right, Matt. Still don’t know your row spacing but that’s basically the nub of it.

It's a 21x7, but the correct chart is pasted inside the lid of the seed box, and you posted the 7 inch spacing chart, so good guess?

Not that it really matters. I just wanted to know how a setting of 80 translated on to a scale that only goes up to 20...

It was just dumb luck that my guess of setting the seeder to "6" (it was more like 5.5) thinking that meant "60" which was a rough average between "55" and "70" for the timothy/clover/alfalfa mix I was using, was actually the correct setting...

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Well that makes more sense, but that's not how the chart is labeled.

"Pounds per acre" is across the top, referring to the 2,4,6,8...20 row, so that indicates 2,4,6,8...20 pounds per acre.

"Indicator setting" should really read "seed variety" but since it doesn't it has to refer to the values in the chart.

I asked the neighbor and my brother in law and they came to the same conclusion. For 20lbs per acre, use setting 80. 

What kind of lunatic seeds 80lbs of alfalfa to the acre?  Everything I found said 20lbs an acre max, less in a mixed seed which is what I used.

"Pounds per acre" is the title of the chart.  The left chart is titled for metrics, "Kilograms per hector".

11 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

"Pounds per acre" is the title of the chart.  The left chart is titled for metrics, "Kilograms per hector".

The title of the chart is "Grass seed sowing rate for International... blah blah blah... drill."

To be correct, "Pounds per acre" should be where "Indicator setting" is and "Indicator setting" should be where "Pounds per acre" is. You'd get fired for designing a chart like that in this day and age.

Apparently they did things different in the 1950's. 

I personally cannot see the problem the top line is clearly labeled  INDICATOR SETTING and each succeeding line lists a different crop left is metric  right is USA