Is my Turbo seal gone or is it something else?

MBman

Hello I have a 2014 4530 Titan floater with the Iveco engine in it. The other day I noticed dirt had accumulated on the outlet tube on my air to air cooler downstream of my turbo. So yesterday I popped the hoses off going to and coming from the turbo. The outlet side of the turbo is just black and grimy and sticky but when I smear my hand around in the tube it doesn't come out oily the grime is just stuck on the sides. I even pushed a flexible rubber strip down to the bottom and it comes out clean. The inlet side of the turbo, coming from the filter had a bit of oil in it as well as the elbow, I've talked to my local mechanics and one of them is coming out tomorrow. But thought I'd ask here. They wonder if I'm pulling oil from my case breather. If my seals went does the oil blast out in such pressure as to blast through the intake turbine and up against airflow coming in? And the fact that there is just a tiny bit of oily oil and the rest seems old makes me wonder if I need to replace or not? I don't remember needing to add any oil at all last fall when we were finishing up. Or is the air coming through there hot enough to bake the oil onto the sidewalls? The tube up to the air to air cooler isn't filthy just right inside the turbo.

20220428_164822_HDR.jpg

20220428_164828.jpg

20220428_164819_HDR.jpg

Like it or not, that's pretty common to find on a TierIV FPT engine. The blowby from the crankcase isn't vented to the atmosphere...it's routed back to the air intake system just in front of the turbocharger to be burned in the engine. Think of it as a PCV system for diesels. Most(if not all)of the oil you are seeing in the air intake system is blowby gas/oil buildup. Looks terrible, but doesn't seem to have any long term effects on engine life or performance.

Looks like that one uses that eVGT(electronic Variable Geometry turbocharger) turbo that the big Magnums and baby Steigers use. I've replaced a handful of them for electronic issues, but never for an oil issue. 

some ivecos had a filter in the blowby recover system. they never get changed . then they put excess oil vapor into the intake air system. the filter is usually on the back of engine . looks like a square box. its supposed to be replaced every 500 hrs. to prevent this. i think im the only one in this area that replaces them every one that comes in the shop. nobody ever knows they have one and its suposed to be changed with every 500 hour oil and filter change

All the Cursor/FPT engines bigger than 9 liters have a crackcase filter of some sort that needs serviced. Older Cursors with the camshaft-operated injectors used the flat crankcase filter...all the newer Cursors with common-rail fuel system use a crankcase filter that is either mounted to the back of the engine camshaft or injection pump drive gear. 

In the case of the OP, the one in this picture is what is used on the Cursor 9L on your 4530 floater. Should bolt to the back of the camshaft at the rear of the engine. I don't recall on the sprayers/floaters if they use a narrow gear housing or a wide gear housing as that makes the difference on the cover you need to remove to access this filter. This filter is supposed to be changed every 1200 hours. 

20220430_095141.jpg

4 hours ago, bkorth said:

My T7-235 New Holland tractor with the 6.7 litre has the filter under the valve cover.

Yes it does; on a TierIVb tractor, that job is a PITA. With TierIVb, they put a catalyst right above the valve cover, so you have to remove the hood, the hood support, and the catalyst just to get to where you can even think about removing the valve cover to access/service the filter. IIRC, they say you only have to service that one every 3600 hours or so. IIRC, book time for that job is somewhere between 6-7 hours.

Your T7.235 should be Tier IVa; that one isn't quite so difficult. No catalyst above the engine.

Wait till you pop the hood on a Euro model with the air compressor, front axle accumulator and so forth. Can't even seen the valve cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Yes it does; on a TierIVb tractor, that job is a PITA. With TierIVb, they put a catalyst right above the valve cover, so you have to remove the hood, the hood support, and the catalyst just to get to where you can even think about removing the valve cover to access/service the filter. IIRC, they say you only have to service that one every 3600 hours or so. IIRC, book time for that job is somewhere between 6-7 hours.

Your T7.235 should be Tier IVa; that one isn't quite so difficult. No catalyst above the engine.

Looks like I'll be keeping this one for a while, I had them come out and change it last fall so I'm good for a while.

21 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Can you run the crankcase breather into a catch can and plug the inlet to the air intake hose?

You sure could. With Tier III Cursor engines, they were just vented to the atmosphere, just like most every engine built in the last 100 years or so. I've had more than one guy threaten to do that on a Tier IV engine, although I'm not aware that any of my customers have actually done it. 

When Tier IV engines came out, somebody at Iveco/FPT engines decided to get "woke" by burning crankcase blowby gases and also replacing spin-on fuel & engine oil filters with cartridge-type filters. Still doesn't explain why a cartridge-type oil filter is well over $100 from CNH. But I guess you are supposed to "feel good" by doing your share to save the environment. Whatever......

• Like 1

Not arguing with you SD  but We had a Cursor 13 in a chopper that was Tier 3 and it ran the blowby  back in the engine, well anyway it did for the first season, then they did some pips on it that winter and it came back with a hose to the ground and new engine software.Seems they were having issues with turbo seals or something and were blaming it partially on that. Also some owners were chipping them and blowing turbos so they found a way to derate the engine if things got too hot or something,  basically It ruined the engine for me as I had no chip and no problem to begin with. 

It had the compound turbo setup with one running on the crankshaft, never could keep a gasket between the turbo and the manifold, it would leak boost there and derate just when you got in the power band. Traded it for one with a tier 4 16 litre no more problem and it will  eat that Cursor 13 for lunch.

7 hours ago, SDman said:

replacing spin-on fuel & engine oil filters with cartridge-type filters

What is the reasoning for that? It seems like such a step backwards. Will I live to see the upside down spin on filter make a comeback?

48 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

What is the reasoning for that? It seems like such a step backwards. Will I live to see the upside down spin on filter make a comeback?

Always wondered why they did that. Same thing when I got my 6.4 power stroke. Hadn’t changed a cartridge filter for years.

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Its all about environmental reasons. Cartridge filters supposedly leave a smaller "environmental footprint" than spin on filters do. You would think they would be cheaper, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkorth said:

Not arguing with you SD  but We had a Cursor 13 in a chopper that was Tier 3 and it ran the blowby  back in the engine, well anyway it did for the first season, then they did some pips on it that winter and it came back with a hose to the ground and new engine software.Seems they were having issues with turbo seals or something and were blaming it partially on that. Also some owners were chipping them and blowing turbos so they found a way to derate the engine if things got too hot or something,  basically It ruined the engine for me as I had no chip and no problem to begin with. 

It had the compound turbo setup with one running on the crankshaft, never could keep a gasket between the turbo and the manifold, it would leak boost there and derate just when you got in the power band. Traded it for one with a tier 4 16 litre no more problem and it will  eat that Cursor 13 for lunch.

That may very well be on the choppers; I’m not familiar with the choppers, but our other store sells them. I know one of their technicians was trying to find some way to eliminate the compound turbo as they were fighting repeated turbo failures on one particular machine. 
As far as the compound turbo, we had them on the 485 Steigers. Had several of them around. I’ve heard a lot of bad stories about the compound turbo, but we seemed to get along just fine with them. The exhaust part of the compound turbo is the same as a regular turbo, but the other side of the turbo was a torque converter/fluid coupling drive that was geared to the crankshaft. Simply put, it was one more use of the exhaust gases before they were expelled to the atmosphere. I took some pictures of a disassembled compound turbo when I was in school in Racine a few years ago. 

1B2994BC-620C-414A-B28D-CC9950B944CE.jpeg

FA19326B-7B7D-43AC-8E93-8416EAF3C5B9.jpeg

4BE15CFE-881B-4FE5-A0A8-CED67156E582.jpeg

59A7C9BD-5A8B-492E-A9B2-A9E6B15145AC.jpeg

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Its all about environmental reasons. Cartridge filters supposedly leave a smaller "environmental footprint" than spin on filters do. You would think they would be cheaper, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Are any of the new tractors using a plastic oil drain plug yet?    They use them on some paccar engines that I have worked on.   Still think it’s one of the dumbest ideas yet!