Field progress....finally!

Received 7 tenths of an inch last night.  Not enough to make the crop, but will help for now.  Been nearly a month since our last decent rain.  Our beans have still not reached canopy stage, but looking decent.  Cooler temperatures this week are taking some stress off the crops.  20220725_183815.thumb.jpg.418b2d28772eeb7d34c393a69b6e0ba1.jpg

Dad and I have been discussing the farmwork.  He no longer wants to haul grain to town and our farmstead is not semi accessible.   I would have to use vacation time to deliver grain.  I work 6 days a week during harvest, so fieldwork would be difficult to complete in a timely fashion.  We decided to hire our crops harvested and delivered to town.  Dad bought a condo at the COOP and he has a year to market his corn and soybeans as he wishes.  The neighbor and his brother in law farm together and have hired on to harvest them and haul the crops to town.  The country dredged my ditch and installed 2 new driveways into our farm for semi access.  This will be a burden off myself and I am okay with it.

20220725_183852.thumb.jpg.3fd029a6fd831082f16c60b3ac22ee5b.jpg

20220725_183845.thumb.jpg.e547087497f88be3a55f336b95497b9a.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Neighbors combined our soybeans while I was at work Saturday.  A weeks worth of labor for me. IF the combine ran flawless.  Their 35 foot header makes my 15 foot look like a toy!  So relieved to not have to juggle harvest and work too.  Sorry that pictures are dark, that was when I arrived home....

20221009_190337.jpg

20221009_190247.jpg

20221009_190242.jpg

20221009_190539.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

Nice to have neighbors who are willing to help out!! 

They have the equipment and could use the income. 

Dad visited with them Saturday.  Soybeans averaged 10.2 to 11.5 moisture.  Ranged from 27 to 68 Bu/acre according to their yield monitor.   Dad will stop at the elevator today and get the total bushels and the scale tickets.  The beans all fit on 4 semi loads. 

We will change the way I plant things next spring a little bit to accommodate their larger equipment better.  I planted it with our 15' and 6 row corn head in mind.

36 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

They have the equipment and could use the income. 

Dad visited with them Saturday.  Soybeans averaged 10.2 to 11.5 moisture.  Ranged from 27 to 68 Bu/acre according to their yield monitor.   Dad will stop at the elevator today and get the total bushels and the scale tickets.  The beans all fit on 4 semi loads. 

We will change the way I plant things next spring a little bit to accommodate their larger equipment better.  I planted it with our 15' and 6 row corn head in mind.

I have a neighbor coming to cut my beans when they’re ready. Frost finished them Saturday morning, now it’s dry down time and there’s a chance of rain Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully we get some, been close to a month since we had any. The guys that rent my mom’s ground said that it sounded like disking rocks getting ready to sow wheat.